Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New TSA Screening - Food & Electronics Bigger than Cellphones out of Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TSA Screening - Food & Electronics Bigger than Cellphones out of Bags

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
So wait, is it still ok to bring electronics like laptops and camera equipment in the carry on?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by comptr
So wait, is it still ok to bring electronics like laptops and camera equipment in the carry on?
Yes at the moment. What the OP is mentioning is that some airports are making you take even small electronics out for screening purposes, the same as laptops have been.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA
At COS last week as well

I asked the TSA agent about it as I'd been through the week before without removing my Kindle and she said it was a "pilot program" that would eventually be nationwide.

They were informing pax beforehand, but in the usual carnival barking fashion. I would not have pulled mine out had I not had an agent in my face directly asking about iPads and Kindles.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are people being forced to remove iPads in the PreCheck lanes for TSA security?
No. Precheck members are unaffected. This simply means that larger electronics (like tablets) will now in select airports be treated as laptops. And as PC doesn't require you to remove laptops, there shouldn't be any issues that come out of this.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes at the moment. What the OP is mentioning is that some airports are making you take even small electronics out for screening purposes, the same as laptops have been.
Ahh ok, good. I have a flight to MCO this week so I wanted to make sure. Thanks^
Old May 22, 2017, 2:54 pm

What about camera Equipment like Camera Bodies & Lenses do those also need to be in a separate bin ?
Old May 22, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yeah, had to take "all electronics larger than a cell phone" out of my carry on leaving LAS a few weeks ago. TSA claimed it was something new but the young man pushing my wheelchair said it had been going on for months. Regular line, not TSA precheck.

Old May 22, 2017, 3:24 pm

During our Christmas trip to Las Vegas, TSA people made a huge deal that we left ipad in the backpack while going through security in Las Vegas airport. We asked when it started and they told us it was always like that. They took their sweet time going through a backpack and were very rude about it.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:32 pm

Has anyone carried on camera equipment, does it need to be removed into a separate bin or is it like before where it can stay in the bag ?
Old May 22, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Nah. Used pre-check this morning with iPad, macbook pro and surface pro. Didn't remove any of them.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:07 pm

Went through Pre check Orlando this morning 2 laptops, 2 ipads, a battery brick, and a iphone and nothing came out of bag.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, Aeroplan
Flew SNA-MSP, MSP-YYZ last Saturday and TSA at SNA did not ask me to remove my iPad. My carry-on and checked luggage got the fine tooth comb treatment though likely due to the boxes of candy I picked up.

All in all it was a pleasant experience with the TSA agent being polite and chatty.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
Probably because this is the DL forum, not the Why Did They Make Me Take My iPad Out My My Bag forum.
More constructively, those who do not tend to wander outside the confines of one or a few specific airline forums may be interested to know that there are FT forums for discussing generic TSA/security issues and experiences not related to specific airlines:

Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...ty-issues-686/

For practical aspects of programs like Precheck, Global Entry, Nexus etc:

Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/

For policy debate:

Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...cy-debate-687/
Old May 22, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Saj8986
Searched the forum and didn't see anything on this....

Going through PDX today and they had to remove my iPad from my bag and scan separately. I asked when this started and TSA said a week ago....which is not accurate as I flew home from SLC Thursday.

Anyone else had this happen?
Happened to me in London last fall but not domestically. Probably has to do with the talk of banning anything larger than a phone to checked luggage that is happening in Europe.

However on my trip to DC earlier this month my bag checked bag was searched by the TSA both coming and going.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Anywhere I have been have not removed my laptop or iPad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.