FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Raw cookie dough in carry-on bag? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1835160-raw-cookie-dough-carry-bag.html)

MiniChunks Apr 7, 2017 7:52 am

Raw cookie dough in carry-on bag?

Does anyone know if you can carry raw cookie dough on? I'm trying to bring some cookie dough from a bakery in NYC to my pregnant cousin in FLL, and cant decide if i should try putting it in my carry on.

chgoeditor Apr 7, 2017 11:27 am

No reason you can't.

MSPeconomist Apr 7, 2017 11:28 am

Would TSA claim it's a gel since its shape can be manipulated?

WorldLux Apr 7, 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor (Post 28143290)
No reason you can't.

It's liquid-ish

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 7, 2017 3:55 pm

Cookie Dough is similar to peanut butter. Lots of stories about jars of peanut butter in carryon bags. Could freeze it.

chgoeditor Apr 7, 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 28143301)
It's liquid-ish

Most cookie dough is the consistency of Play-Doh.

Kannai Apr 7, 2017 5:35 pm

Sadly, the TSA "can I bring it" web app doesn't bring up a very clear answer for cookie dough:

Solid food items (not liquids or gels) can be transported in either your carry-on or checked baggage. Liquid or gel food items larger than 3.4 oz are not permitted in carry-on baggage and should be placed in your checked baggage if possible.

All food products should be properly packaged to avoid spilling during the screening process and damaging security equipment and other passengers' belongings. Cakes and pies are permitted as carry-on items, but could require additional screening.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_r...cookie%20dough

But cookie dough isn't a gel. If anything, many pie fillings are much more gel-like than dough.

LJOP Apr 7, 2017 5:43 pm

Although the rules are probably slightly different in the US. I know that Marzipan falls under the liquids rule in the EU (a relative recently found out on their way back from Belgium (they managed to buy replacements at the airport but it had to be security wrapped)) and as cookie dough is similar in terms of consistency, it may be questionable as to if it is okay.

CDTraveler Apr 7, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by MiniChunks (Post 28142275)
Does anyone know if you can carry raw cookie dough on? I'm trying to bring some cookie dough from a bakery in NYC to my pregnant cousin in FLL, and cant decide if i should try putting it in my carry on.

If it's got eggs in it, I'd be concerned about it spoiling along the way, especially if the pregnant lady might it raw.

coolcoil Apr 8, 2017 7:32 am

I often carry food in my rollaboard, as I live in South America and bring home goodies from the USA that are hard to get here. I don't think that I've carried cookie dough in the rollaboard (though I have brought here several times). However, I do bring soft cheeses (e..g. brie) that have the same consistency. It always gets through, but often it arouses the curiosity of the scanner operator and my bag gets pulled aside for a check.

I recommend that you do one of two things:

1) Pull it out of your bag to be scanned separately. The TSA people have told me that it's not that the food is a problem, just that they can't tell what it is on the scanner.

2) Check your bag if it won't cost you anything. The only reason I carry mine with me is that I usually have a longish layover in MIA, and I don't want it sitting for a long time in the heat. If you don't have a connection, then that's not a problem.

There have been scattered reports of TSA not allowing food items at certain airports at certain times, but it has not been a problem for me.

HMPS Apr 9, 2017 6:44 pm

DOUGH !

Sorry OP, If TSA spots it, your cookie dough will bite the dust :mad:
It looks like very pliable mass, . Have had sealed contains of Peanut Butter and even prepared food. Could not argue

Fornebufox Apr 10, 2017 1:13 pm

I wouldn't try to carry it on. Pack it in your checked bag, with an ice pack if you anticipate a long layover.

czufam Apr 13, 2017 9:45 am

Instagram TSA your question.

They get many funny and interesting requests on Instagram

MiniChunks Nov 20, 2017 11:03 am

I apologize that I never got back to this, but other than getting my bag searched by TSA and a good laugh from the agent, I had no problem getting the cookie dough through in my carry on. They used one of the explosive swabs throughout the cooler and over the outside of the packages and let me move on.

ESpen36 Nov 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Should not be an issue for TSA as long as it is refrigerated/frozen solid.

Worth noting for future readers of this thread that if one were to travel **internationally** into the USA with any raw dough products (even previously exported items of US origin), one should expect them to be seized by CBP. Some raw dough ingredients (most notably eggs) might not be allowed entry to the USA, depending on the country of origin.