Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Does the sleeve that comes with the US Passport card block RFID? Is it needed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just got my US passport card. I mostly plan to use it as a federal ID w/o my address on it for bars and TSA + as proof of citizenship if my passport is lost overseas.

Normally I'd just throw it in my iPhone case with my credit and debit card, but the sleeve gave me pause... is it really that delicate? And does the sleeve provide any protection for the RFID? (if not I don't see why I shouldn't just carry it in my wallet, especially since I live far from land crossings)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by greggarious
Just got my US passport card. I mostly plan to use it as a federal ID w/o my address on it for bars and TSA + as proof of citizenship if my passport is lost overseas.

Normally I'd just throw it in my iPhone case with my credit and debit card, but the sleeve gave me pause... is it really that delicate? And does the sleeve provide any protection for the RFID? (if not I don't see why I shouldn't just carry it in my wallet, especially since I live far from land crossings)
The idea of the sleeve is not so much to protect the card as to protect the card holder (you). Without the sleeve, the card's chip can be read from a distance by an RFID reader. Whether this is a realistic concern or a tinfoil hat concern is a topic for another thread, but that's what the sleeve is intended for - to prevent the card's chip from being remotely read by an RFID reader.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
The idea of the sleeve is not so much to protect the card as to protect the card holder (you). Without the sleeve, the card's chip can be read from a distance by an RFID reader. Whether this is a realistic concern or a tinfoil hat concern is a topic for another thread, but that's what the sleeve is intended for - to prevent the card's chip from being remotely read by an RFID reader.
So it does block RFID?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The sleeve that comes with the Passport card does block RFID and it is suggested to be used.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Keep in mind, some states statutes specify that only the local state's IDs are valid for Alcohol age checks.

Had that problem when I was still a Texas university student during an intern job in California.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
Keep in mind, some states statutes specify that only the local state's IDs are valid for Alcohol age checks.

Had that problem when I was still a Texas university student during an intern job in California.
I never had that issue when I had a non-Texas DL at SXSW.

And Federal trumps state regardless, even in Texas
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

Please let's get back on topic which is whether the sleeve that comes with the US Passport Card, or the Global Entry card for that matter, blocks RFID.

Please discuss states' ID requirements for proof of age for alcohol purchases in TravelBuzz or OMNI.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by greggarious
So it does block RFID?
yes
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by leaveamessage
yes
I would not be so sure about that. I tried to test the sleeve by putting my work badge inside, and it could still be read at a distance of 2-3 inches from a reader.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by König
I would not be so sure about that. I tried to test the sleeve by putting my work badge inside, and it could still be read at a distance of 2-3 inches from a reader.
The work badge works from further away than 2-3 inches when not in the sleeve?

I'd take it as a sign of blocking the RFID in part but not entirely, if it does so.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The work badge works from further away than 2-3 inches when not in the sleeve?
No, the badge works only in the proximity of a reader (maybe up to 3-5 inches?) Pretty much the same way as an RFID-enabled credit card.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by König
No, the badge works only in the proximity of a reader (maybe up to 3-5 inches?) Pretty much the same way as an RFID-enabled credit card.
From what I've read over the years, RFID proximity is dependent on the reader's signal strength, not the chip. More powerful or sensitive readers can power chips from greater distances.

RFID tech is much more common in ID and access devices than in credit and debit cards. RFID's days in the credit industry are numbered by phone payment systems like Apple Pay, but RFID security badges can be found everywhere these days. Still, I've never encountered a reader that could detect a chip from more than about six inches, and most are limited to about two or three inches.

With one glaring exception: car fobs. I've owned two keyless cars, and both were capable of detecting their fobs from as much as two feet from the lock, not to mention the ignition readers, which could detect the fobs pretty much anywhere in the front seats - driver or passenger side, on the dash, on the floor, in a jacket or pant pocket, almost anywhere.

I'm not really worried about RFID skimmers. I'm much more worried about careless employees of private companies or government agencies failing to secure my financial information from hackers and identity thieves.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
From what I've read over the years, RFID proximity is dependent on the reader's signal strength, not the chip. More powerful or sensitive readers can power chips from greater distances.

RFID tech is much more common in ID and access devices than in credit and debit cards. RFID's days in the credit industry are numbered by phone payment systems like Apple Pay, but RFID security badges can be found everywhere these days. Still, I've never encountered a reader that could detect a chip from more than about six inches, and most are limited to about two or three inches.

With one glaring exception: car fobs. I've owned two keyless cars, and both were capable of detecting their fobs from as much as two feet from the lock, not to mention the ignition readers, which could detect the fobs pretty much anywhere in the front seats - driver or passenger side, on the dash, on the floor, in a jacket or pant pocket, almost anywhere.

I'm not really worried about RFID skimmers. I'm much more worried about careless employees of private companies or government agencies failing to secure my financial information from hackers and identity thieves.
You can read RFID badges from very far away (2-3 feet with minimal effort): https://www.wired.com/2009/08/fed-rfid/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.