Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
See this UK government announcements
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/additional-airline-security-measures-on-some-routes-travelling-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/additional-hand-luggage-restrictions-on-some-flights-to-the-uk
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

Flights affected
This will apply to inbound flights (all operators) to the UK from the following locations:

Turkey
Lebanon
Egypt
Saudi Arabia
Jordan
Tunisia

Devices affected
Under the new arrangements, phones, laptops and tablets larger than:

length: 16.0 cm
width: 9.3 cm
depth: 1.5 cm

will not be allowed in the cabin on selected flights to the UK from the countries affected. Most smart phones fall within these limits and will continue to be allowed on board. However, devices larger than these dimensions may not be carried in the cabin and therefore much be placed in checked bags.

(By way of comparison, iPad Mini = 20.32 x 13.48 x 0.61cm. Amazon Kindle = 16.0 x 11.5 x 0.91 cm)
Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Ban on Direct Flights to UK from 6 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:39 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by techie
Fair point. The GOV.UK announcement by Chris Grayling does say

While they called out laptops, tablets and phones explicitly, that blanket line suggests that it is not limited to those specific device categories.
I think you may be right in the sense that I imagine when all the details are out it will include all electronic devices above the stated dimensions - it would certainly make sense that they were all included. However, for now I think there are two announcements (links in wiki) on the DfT website which explicitly only list laptops, tablets and phones.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Fair point. The GOV.UK announcement by Chris Grayling does say

While they called out laptops, tablets and phones explicitly, that blanket line suggests that it is not limited to those specific device categories.
It is not limited to those specific device categories. But the UK ban has no deadline for implementation and that more or less means the carriers flying to the UK from the blacklisted countries may be able to have their own version of an electronics ban.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by markle
BA has now published its guidance, here. No mention of process for people with hand baggage only fares, but it does suggest that there is some flexibility around rebooking - the wording ("rebook your flight to a later date" implies that they expect this to be reasonably short-lived.
No, they said "rebook to when you can comply" meaning give yourself a day or two to go to the Post Office and mail your laptop home.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
If this goes ahead, will my flight with Emirates, AKL-DXB-LHR will be affected, even though the UAE is not one of the countries listed?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by celle
If this goes ahead, will my flight with Emirates, AKL-DXB-LHR will be affected, even though the UAE is not one of the countries listed?
No. As you say UAE is not on the list so I don't see why you would be affected.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by celle
No it won't.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by NFH
At what point will these restrictions be enforced? It's easy enough at airports with security at each gate, but what about the more common setup where security is centralised for all gates? There are two problems with the latter:
  1. It's impractical for security to screen passengers with different restrictions depending on each passenger's destination.
  2. Passengers destined for restricted and unrestricted destinations can mingle after security and pass devices between them.
Not a perfect analogy, but in China, flights to the US have a pre-boarding screening for liquids (mainly water bottles). they do it in the jetway with multiple tables and screeners set up. It's perfunctory, so moves quickly, but a similar setup would likely work.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbrower
No, they said "rebook to when you can comply" meaning give yourself a day or two to go to the Post Office and mail your laptop home.
BA is going to refuse to check-in such electronics this time? They checked laptops in back when a different electronics ban of sorts was in play when flying them.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

No, UK ban includes all electronic devices, including phones that do not meet the dimensions stated.
Not all. Electronic devices in excess of the stated dimensions but claimed to be needed for medical purposes are exempted. It is to be seen if an iPad used to capture medical history counts.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not all. Electronic devices in excess of the stated dimensions but claimed to be needed for medical purposes are exempted.
The US ban directive states that medical equipment is exempt, but I have not seen a similar passage in the UK ban.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Who is responsible for enforcing the ban? The airlines or the airport authorities? Has anyone actually defined what "device" means? Cameras, electric toothbrushes, shavers, satnav units and over-ear headphones are all arguably electronic devices exceeding the dimensions. Has the government clearly defined this anywhere, or will a random airport security man on a jetbridge at IST be making it up as he goes along?

<deleted>

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:22 pm Reason: Going OMNI/PR
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

The US ban directive states that medical equipment is exempt, but I have not seen a similar passage in the UK ban.
The UK ban only hits large phones, laptops, tablets and e-readers. Medical equipment is exempt from the UK ban, as are most electronic devices that aren't large phones, laptops, tablets or e-readers.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deltus
Who is responsible for enforcing the ban? The airlines or the airport authorities? Has anyone actually defined what "device" means? Cameras, electric toothbrushes, shavers, satnav units and over-ear headphones are all arguably electronic devices exceeding the dimensions. Has the government clearly defined this anywhere, or will a random airport security man on a jetbridge at IST be making it up as he goes along?

<deleted>...
The airlines, for enforcing it.

The UK chose to "ban" a subset of the electronics banned by the US. This UK ban is aimed at just large phones, laptops, tablets and e-readers. The US ban is aimed at a wider array of electronics than those in the UK "ban".

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 7:32 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The UK ban only hits large phones, laptops, tablets and e-readers. Medical equipment is exempt from the UK ban, as are most electronic devices that aren't large phones, laptops, tablets or e-readers.
UK ban doesn't call out e-readers. And while there are differences between an e-reader and a tablet, I wouldn't hold my breath that many airport staff would know the distinctions and allow you to bring it onboard.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended

UK ban doesn't call out e-readers. And while there are differences between an e-reader and a tablet, I wouldn't hold my breath that many airport staff would know the distinctions and allow you to bring it onboard.
The U.K. ban notices do call out ereaders as being blacklisted.

Here's a place to find an indication of just this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk

Originally Posted by Gov.UK
Which devices are not allowed in the cabin?
large phones
all laptops
all tablets and e-readers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.