Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Causes for Failed ETD Test Following Pat-Down?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Following a pat-down the last two times that I have flown out of MDW, the ETD test on the glove tested positive indicating that there must have been some residue. This led to additional screening. I am trying to figure out what might have caused this and how to avoid this situation.

Before flying, I try to avoid any contact with lotion and lotion soap, as well as other products that are known to contain glycerin. Following the first positive test, I thought there might have been a one-time error with the machine, that air or some other thing caused the test. However, after the second time, I am trying to figure out what else has caused this to avoid this occurring in the future.

Could using certain detergents use this? Perhaps wearing the same jacket over clothes that I wore during a past time? Does anyone have any advice for how to avoid these positive tests?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Most false positives are caused by products containing nitrates and glycerine; check the ingredients lists of the soaps, lotions and cosmetics that you regularly use.

You may wish to take a look at the False Positives on Explosivesthread in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One additional area of concern. If the TSA screener did not change gloves between screening the previous person and you it is possible the gloves were already contaminated. Always insist that the screener put on fresh gloves before touching you or your property.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I made sure to ask the screener to change his gloves first both times (I am sorry that I did not mention this earlier).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:29 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
It may have nothing to do with you. It could be contaminated pads that the TSO uses. I've personally observed TSOs opening a new container of pads, with bare hands, and "fanning" them with those bare fingers to get them to be separated for easier handling.

When I used to frequent one airport on a weekly basis and took patdowns each time, the TSOs had been "trained" by me to test the pad BEFORE the patdown, then use that pad for the testing after the patdown, then test that same pad. I told them that was the only fair way to ensure no false positive from contamination.

Most airports were and are "resistant" to such simple procedures.

Last edited by KDS; Jul 3, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
This is a complete mystery to me. I'm a competitive target shooter and shoot 10 to 20 thousand rounds a year. I have gone through security after coming directly from the range.

I also reload my own ammunition and there is no doubt at some point there were trace amounts of smokeless powder containing nitroglycerin on my shoes or clothing as I went through security.

I have never failed an ETD test.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

Please reserve your commentary and opinion of the TSA screening policies and practices for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum. There is a related thread there.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:42 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've had the test set off twice. Once, it could have been a contaminated pad when I got a secondary ETD swab at PreCheck. Both times could have also been from fueling up a rental car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.