Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oopl
7/19: Electronics ban over! Saudia lifts ban.
https://twitter.com/Saudi_Airlines/status/887588098464415744/photo/1
7/12: Royal Air Maroc lifts ban starting 7/13.
https://twitter.com/RAM_Maroc/status/885068591909011459/photo/1
EgyptAir ban also lifted.
https://twitter.com/EGYPTAIR/status/885052169233330176/photo/1
7/9: Royal Jordanian & Kuwait Airways lift ban.
https://twitter.com/RoyalJordanian/status/884063505397288960/photo/1
https://twitter.com/KuwaitAirways/status/884080142913593344
7/5: Emirates & Qatar lifts ban.
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/help/travel-updates.aspx#/#4086177
http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/travel-alerts.page?CID=AFALL0204026300000000000
7/4: Turkish lifts electronics ban.
https://twitter.com/TurkishAirlines/status/882343356143161344/
7/2: Etihad lifts electronics ban.
http://www.etihad.com/en/announcements/usa-flights-electronic-device-ban/

6/28: "DHS said the 10 airports where US-bound passengers are currently required to place large PEDs in checked baggage—the so-called laptop ban—can have those PED restrictions lifted if the airports comply with the enhanced security measures being required by the US."

Source: http://atwonline.com/security/all-us...y-requirements

As per mods: No political talk! Political discussions are permitted over in Omni-PR linked below.

Real life experiences with the ban:
Emirates 1
Qatar 1

Official info from U.S. DHS.
Source: https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/...rture-airports
The aviation security enhancements will include requiring that all personal electronic devices larger than a cell phone or smart phone be placed in checked baggage at 10 airports where flights are departing for the United States.

These enhancements apply to 10 specific airports. The affected overseas airports are: Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), Cairo International Airport (CAI), Ataturk International Airport (IST), King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED), King Khalid International Airport (RUH), Kuwait International Airport (KWI), Mohammed V Airport (CMN), Hamad International Airport (DOH), Dubai International Airport (DXB), and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).

There is no impact on domestic flights in the United States or flights departing the United States. Electronic devices will continue to be allowed on all flights originating in the United States.
Emirates passengers flying to US directly from Dubai:
Source: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-introduces-laptop-and-tablet-handling-service-for-us-flights
Emirates customers travelling to the US via Dubai will be able to utilise their laptops and tablet devices on the first part of their journeys, and also during transit in Dubai. They must then declare and hand over their laptops, tablets, and other banned electronic devices to security staff at the gate just before boarding their US-bound flight. The devices will be carefully packed into boxes, loaded into the aircraft hold, and returned to the customer at their US destination. There will not be any charge for this service.

Passengers on US-bound flights starting their journeys in Dubai are encouraged to pack their electronic devices into their check-in luggage in the first instance, to avoid delays.

Customers should be aware that there will be a detailed search of all hand baggage on non-stop flights to the US from Dubai. They should therefore declare their devices before the search, or ensure their electronic devices are packed into their check-in luggage in the first instance.
Other threads on this topic:
Thread on this subject in TSS-Debate Forum

Thread on this subject in Omni-PR

Thread on similar UK ban, in TSS-Practical forum
Print Wikipost

Electronics Banned in Cabin on Flights to US from 8 ME and North African Countries

Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
According to one of the ME3, if your journey is to the US then you will be asked to check in your electronics at the first port of departure. So if you are flying KUL-DXB-JFK then your electronics will have to be checked in at KUL.

Now if you have two tickets; KUL-DXB and DXB-JFK they will probably force you to check in at the gate at DXB after going through the gate screening.

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
How will this even be implemented at the gate?

Take this scenario:

Pax starts in KUL, connects through DXB on the way to JFK. Checked-in luggage, but for whatever reason still has an iPad/Laptop on them for the KUL-DXB flight.

At the gate in DXB headed to JFK, assuming they do gate screening, where does the offending device go? Unless every single outstation prevents the devices on connecting flights too, I can see this being a larger problems for travelers at the connecting point.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
According to one of the ME3, if your journey is to the US then you will be asked to check in your electronics at the first port of departure. So if you are flying KUL-DXB-JFK then your electronics will have to be checked in at KUL.
That's sort of what I expected, but considering the hundreds(?) of outstations, I imagine security and enforcement will be spotty at best.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:08 am

We need trip reports for each airport on if they allow Gate Check or just confiscate and throw away your ipad/laptop. There are many transit scenarios (seperate tickets, different airlines) where one can end up at the gate with a laptop.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:09 am

That's sort of what I expected, but considering the hundreds(?) of outstations, I imagine security and enforcement will be spotty at best.
I dont think so. In my experience the minute they figure out you are flying to the US, they start hassling you for various things starting from passport/visa, your US address, baggage limits etc. They will just add this to the TOS and force you to check in everything at that location so that you cannot figure out who stole your stuff
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by nomii
We need trip reports for each airport on if they allow Gate Check or just confiscate and throw away your ipad/laptop. There are many transit scenarios (seperate tickets, different airlines) where one can end up at the gate with a laptop.
If they can through check in you for your flight to US after doing the necessary document check then they can also force you to check in your electronics irrespective of airline and transit (provided they are on teh same itinerary)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
<deleted>

Would lenses be included in the ban? (I realize bodies have value as well, but lenses often is where the money is).

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:15 pm Reason: Quote of deleted content
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Now if you have two tickets; KUL-DXB and DXB-JFK they will probably force you to check in at the gate at DXB after going through the gate screening.
I don't see any way around gate screening. Otherwise, what is to prevent you to pick up a laptop in the transit area from someone who isn't traveling to the US and was allowed through with it?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Would lenses be included in the ban? (I realize bodies have value as well, but lenses often is where the money is).
<deleted>. I have tons of classic, non-electronic lenses,
some of them are worth a lot. They are fully manual.
But most modern lenses are electronic... What a messed up situation,
I travel to take pictures and there are destinations you simply can't go
without connecting in the ME, like Seychelles for example.

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 2:16 pm Reason: deliberately bypassing profanity filters / Pejorative generalization
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
The DHS notice specifically mentions electronic devices. Most lenses don't have batteries so they should be OK.

Now try explaining this to the gate agent who is merely trying to check people in to the flight under rules that are open to wide interpretation.

I certainly have no desire to check my lenses. Nor do I have any desire to check my iPad since all my books are on there and that's what I use to keep myself entertained during a flight. But I can't see the airlines doing anything else but enforcing the strictest interpretation of the DHS notice which means lenses will be where the iPads and laptops are - down in the hold.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
If the U.K. joins the ban, it will be interesting to see if BA would be included. I assume they couldn't really exclude them with a straight face, but... these days anything is possible.
All carriers with direct flights are likely to be subject to this ban, even BA.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:33 am

UK is not banning UAE or Qatar.
Under the UK's measure, all direct flights from six countries - Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia - will be affected.
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7641796.html
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
As tlott says, the UK is not banning UAE and Qatar, but all airlines are banned for the other locations, including BA.

UK says max dimensions for a device are 16cm x 9.3cm x 1.5cm. Need to measure my Kindle when I get a chance.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by techie
All carriers with direct flights are likely to be subject to this ban, even BA.
Right, but interestingly the U.K. list of countries is different than the US' list.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ipads-flights/

"Theresa May, the Prime Minister, announced that passengers will be barred from taking laptops into flights from Egypt, Tunisia, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

The move will affect in-bound passengers from those countries on flights by UK carriers including British Airways, Easyjet, Jet 2, Monarch, Thomas Cook and Thomson flights.

It will also affect those flying with foreign carriers including Turkish Airlines, Pegasus, Atlas Global, Egypt Air, Tunisair, Royal Jordanian and Saudia. "

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:38 am Reason: going OMNI/PR
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 am

According to one of the ME3, if your journey is to the US then you will be asked to check in your electronics at the first port of departure. So if you are flying KUL-DXB-JFK then your electronics will have to be checked in at KUL....
No chance I surrender my laptop at my origin. I have an 7-hour flight to DOH and 9 hours on the ground before flying to the USA. (We are not checking bags.)

Agreed about the outstations. Why would an airport in Asia bother to verify a) if you have a connecting flight and b) if your second flight goes to the USA and 3) if you are connecting through a banned airport. They simply have no incentive to do so.

I dont think so. In my experience the minute they figure out you are flying to the US, they start hassling you for various things starting from passport/visa, your US address, baggage limits etc. They will just add this to the TOS and force you to check in everything at that location so that you cannot figure out who stole your stuff
How would this work?

If they can through check in you for your flight to US after doing the necessary document check then they can also force you to check in your electronics irrespective of airline and transit (provided they are on teh same itinerary)

How would this work? I am not checking bags. Is the check-in agent going to search my bags? Never seen that before.

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I don't see any way around gate screening. Otherwise, what is to prevent you to pick up a laptop in the transit area from someone who isn't traveling to the US and was allowed through with it?
Good point.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
From a practical standpoint, I recommend anyone who may be forced to check their laptop take two important steps:

1. Backup before you fly. Buy a large external hard disk or flash drive and use it to carry copies of important documents onboard with you. Flash drives and micro SD cards in particular are now available affordably in sizes up to 200GB which should be enough for most folks' working content. On Windows, unfortunately, there isn't a really easy backup solution - the one built into Windows is pretty lame. But if you are comfortable at a command prompt, the tool "robocopy" does an excellent job of mirroring a folder structure quickly and reliably.

Make sure to encrypt the external disk using BitLocker and a strong passphrase.

2. Encrypt your entire laptop drive. This sounds scary but is in fact super easy to do and you won't even notice a major difference in how your computer works. The Windows feature for this is called BitLocker and is pretty darn reliable; if your laptop has a Trusted Platform Module (most do), the encryption key will be stored inside its vault safely and securely. You can also choose to require a PIN at startup to boot the computer if you like.

(If your laptop doesn't have a TPM, you can actually use a USB key to store the credentials externally, but Windows doesn't make it easy to do that since it's a hassle; you'll need to change a few settings first.)

Either way, if you enable Bitlocker, make sure you make multiple backups of your recovery key. If you lose it, your data is well and truly gone forever. I recommend making at least two copies, one in somewhere easily accessible on the road (work email, cloud storage account you trust, etc.) and one somewhere apocalypse proof (paper in your home safe, USB key in your nightstand, etc.)

If you combine BitLocker with a strong account password, this gives you basically foolproof protection against a stolen laptop scenario and a huge amount of peace of mind. Will BitLocker stop a state actor? Maybe not, but it would take colossal amounts of resources and time; certainly multiple orders of magnitude more than it would if they could simply pop out your laptop's drive and read the clear, unencrypted contents.

(MacOS has equivalents for most of these features too, but I'm not as familiar with the details of how to enable them.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.