Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

About that little knife in my wife's carryon bag...

Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

A few months ago the wife and I went on a trip to Clearwater. We did a few days at the beach and we used my wife's small carry on backpack to take a picnic to the beach... , water, wine or beer, some crackers, cheeses, salami, fruit, etc. So as we go through the Precheck at Orlando the TSA guys pulls her bag for an inspection. He finds the little 2 inch paring knife we sometimes travel with, always in our checked bag. I just forgot to take it out after our picnic.

It was a pretty cheap knife with a protective sleeve but I hated to give it up. So now when we travel my wife always asks, "no knife in my bag, huh?"
Old Jan 26, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
But you can take pointy knitting needle and scissors with 3" blades. 🤔😏
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
My wife had a LeatherMan Knife confiscated at Schiphol Airport, she was on the 6th and final sector of a week long trip and it was only then picked up at security.
Prior to that I discovered she'd travelled extensively with a concealed knife that appears to be a metal parker ball point pen.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Yachtman
My wife had a LeatherMan Knife confiscated at Schiphol Airport, she was on the 6th and final sector of a week long trip and it was only then picked up at security.
Prior to that I discovered she'd travelled extensively with a concealed knife that appears to be a metal parker ball point pen.
lesson: don't mess around with the Yachtman's spouse....!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA, UAL, JetBlue
I'm so accustomed to having a Victorinox knife money clip in my pocket. It's terrific -- I can use the little knife on opening packages and the scissors for trimming things. But one time I went traveling and I completely forgot that I had it in my pocket. Despite the very small size and complete inability to be used as a threatening tool, TSA was going to confiscate it. Thankfully I still had time before I had to board my flight, so I went over to the nearby airport post office and just mailed it back to myself. But that was an exception. The next time I forgot, the TSA agent did NOT give me the courtesy of stepping out of line and taking care of the money clip -- they confiscated it. No recourse.

I pretty much learned my lesson on that... and was able to fall back on my spare Victorinox money clip at home. However, as luck would have it, I forgot once more. This time I hadn't gone through TSA yet, but there was NO post office around. So in my carry-on roller, I unzipped the liner and using a piece of duct tape (I always bring a little strip with me just in case, secured to thin flexible plastic), I taped the money clip to the underside of the hardware for the extendable handle attachment points. Sure enough, it went right through security--both flights.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

This forum is NOT the place to debate the cost-benefit or effectiveness of airport security screening. The venue for such discussions is the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Posts have been deleted.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:40 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Voicemint
I'm so accustomed to having a Victorinox knife money clip in my pocket. It's terrific -- I can use the little knife on opening packages and the scissors for trimming things. But one time I went traveling and I completely forgot that I had it in my pocket. Despite the very small size and complete inability to be used as a threatening tool, TSA was going to confiscate it. D
I used to always carry a little Victorinox knife on my key chain. I used it frequently. It went through TSA many times before it finally got confiscated, even though I thought (hoped) it fell under the maximum allowed size. Nope! After that, I replaced it, and still carried one on my key chain, but took it off for travel. That was cumbersome, and an easily forgotten task. Eventually, I stopped putting it back on the key chain, and it now lives in my glove box, where it is mostly forgotten.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Recently, at KIX, while waiting in the security line noticed a display case with examples of forbidden items. And yes, there was one of those little 2-inch (very handy) folding Victorinox multi-tool knives. Had one confiscated at SEA a couple of years ago, so I always leave its replacement at home when traveling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.