Search

Are ziplock bags still required?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Are ziplock bags still required?

Are ziplock bags still being used ?
I fly all over Europe (except UK) and Asia and i use a (Emirates) business class amenity bag as my toiletry bag with all my liquids etc.
Besides this i have most of the time some other amenity bags (which i received during the travel) in my carry on luggage .
I had never a issue with this and i leave the toiletry bag in my carry on when passing security.
I don't think that i was just lucky as i see that most people don't remove the bags. (unless they are Americans off-course)
Is the liquid bag more a thing for the USA (and maybe the UK) those days.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by merijn
I fly all over Europe (except UK) and Asia and i use a (Emirates) business class amenity bag as my toiletry bag with all my liquids etc.
Besides this i have most of the time some other amenity bags (which i received during the travel) in my carry on luggage .
I had never a issue with this and i leave the toiletry bag in my carry on when passing security.
I don't think that i was just lucky as i see that most people don't remove the bags. (unless they are Americans off-course)
UK definitely requires the liquid bag to be removed from carry on bags. Other airports around Europe seem to vary. Even within the same country, I have experienced different things.

The most amusing part is when you're asked to remove the liquid bag, then the staff place it on top of or under your carry on bag when it passes through the x-ray. I assume these staff don't appreciate how the x-ray works.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I travel frequently with 2 clear quart sized bags, one with cosmetics, the other with toiletries--both containing a few 3oz liquids. Last week while flying back to EWR from LHR (via FRA), at LHR security took all liquids from both bags and put them in one of their own bags and said I was good to go. I then proceeded to transit thru FRA where I was stopped, because I now had 3 bags (only one with liquids) and told I could only have 2-- one with liquids and one without. First time this has occured, new procedures ??
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by mauld
I travel frequently with 2 clear quart sized bags, one with cosmetics, the other with toiletries--both containing a few 3oz liquids. Last week while flying back to EWR from LHR (via FRA), at LHR security took all liquids from both bags and put them in one of their own bags and said I was good to go. I then proceeded to transit thru FRA where I was stopped, because I now had 3 bags (only one with liquids) and told I could only have 2-- one with liquids and one without. First time this has occured, new procedures ??
You weren't allowed to take an empty bag through security?!?! I always have about three or four spare in my carry on bag. They're handy for all sort of things (souvenirs, jewellery, replacement liquid bag if one splits, etc etc).
Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
You weren't allowed to take an empty bag through security?!?! I always have about three or four spare in my carry on bag. They're handy for all sort of things (souvenirs, jewellery, replacement liquid bag if one splits, etc etc).
None of the 3 were empty, LHR Security just took the liquids from both and put them in a separate bag, leaving the remaining items in my 2 original bags. I mentioned I was going thru FRA, and they said it shouldn't be an issue. (I actually thought it would be easier for FRA to have all liquids in one bag... silly me!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merijn
I do the same and am never bothered in US, but I this year had an agent at YYZ insist that all the little shampoos/soaps/etc. be transferred from my opaque amenity bag to an airport-furnished clear zip-top bag. The agent however did it for me—as I was still sorting out the rest of my effects—inspected the result visually only, and let me go.

None of the 3 were empty, LHR Security just took the liquids from both and put them in a separate bag, leaving the remaining items in my 2 original bags. I mentioned I was going thru FRA, and they said it shouldn't be an issue. (I actually thought it would be easier for FRA to have all liquids in one bag... silly me!
The description in your first post sounds as though, at least by the time you got to FRA to pass through transit security, one of the three bags was empty—? indeed if that is the correct reading.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:19 pm

No, all 3 had some items in them. When LHR removed liquids from both baggies there still remained other items in my original 2 bags, but now there was a 3rd bag with only liquid items (toothpaste, shampoo, lipstick, hairspray, face cream etc.) This became the issue at FRA, where they 'allowed' me to pass with 3 bags, but warned me of my error.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:20 pm

No, all 3 had some items in them. When LHR removed liquids from both baggies there still remained other items in my original 2 bags, but now there was a 3rd bag with only liquid items (toothpaste, shampoo, lipstick, hairspray, face cream etc.) This became the issue at FRA, where they 'allowed' me to pass with 3 bags, but warned me of my error.
Did you present them all seperately, or was it left in your carry on bag? They may have been confused, thinking there was liquid in all three.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
At Heathrow, where staff seem to have no problem violating UK and EU law on the carrying of medical liquids, the ziploc bag is definitely still a thing. Most countries don't require the bag to be taken out, but the UK requires it in all lanes, at all times. In the US, people who have Pre Check and are in an "expedite" situation (either because there is no Pre Check checkpoint or because the checkpoint is closed) don't have to take liquids out, but do have to take laptops (and larger tablets) out.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
While I can appreciate wanting the sort the items by type (cosmetics vs. toiletries), my approach is to put all liquids into one bag and everything else in another bag. As I'm unpacking everything at the hotel anyway, doesn't matter that they're not sorted other than by liquid/non-liquid.

As to the OP's question, I've had my liquid and non-liquid items in 2 separate business class amenity bags, also, and have not had any issues in the US, Canada, UK, and continental Europe. Nobody has made mention of the fact that they are not in a ziploc/clear plastic baggy, whether they remain in my suitcase or are removed.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:19 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not once have I used a transparent bag for my toiletries; as my FlightMemory shows, I've flown enough to conjecture that most airports don't care.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:24 pm

All your liquids must be in one bag, security aren't interested in non-liquids so it doesn't matter how many bags you have your non-liquids in.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
All your liquids must be in one bag, security aren't interested in non-liquids so it doesn't matter how many bags you have your non-liquids in.
Which was what I had assumed, until FRA Security told me differently. All liquids were in the baggie packed by LHR security, leaving 2 additional (non liquid containing bags). FRA had issue with the fact of 3 bags
Old Feb 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Which was what I had assumed, until FRA Security told me differently. All liquids were in the baggie packed by LHR security, leaving 2 additional (non liquid containing bags). FRA had issue with the fact of 3 bags
That's never happened to me at FRA before. Were there any creams, gels, pastes, etc. in either of the other 2 bags? Perhaps that's what set them off, i.e., there were other items in those bags that they thought should have all been in the one liquids bag.

My non-liquids bag actually just contains things like razor, toothbrush, dental floss, etc.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:32 am

By FRA's logic, my sandwiches for lunch and a selection of teabags, both carried in a ziplock bag would not be allowed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.