Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Flying internationally to/from the US with a warrant

Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Would it be a problem flying internationally out of Atlanta with a warrant? Or would the problem come when trying to re enter the USA?
Old Sep 11, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Well, I would suggest that leaving may not be a challenge, but pending on what the warrant is for, returning may be the stopper...

Have a good trip otherwise....
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Theuden
Would it be a problem flying internationally out of Atlanta with a warrant? Or would the problem come when trying to re enter the USA?
If any issue should arise it certainly is getting back into the USA, unless if you have Global Entry which allows you to zip thru immigration and avoid possible questioning.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
IS the warrant for a misdemaanor or felony and from what state? You want to avoid flying into the USA with any felony warrant, or flying internationally into a state where you have have any warrant, felony or misdemeanor.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
That is an excellent question. There are undoubtedly many others that are in a similar situation and have the same question. As we are always looking for more data points, please go ahead with your trip and report back how it goes!
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Perhaps you should ask your lawyer.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Immigration does check for outstanding warrants. Having GE doesn't change that. In fact it's likely you'll lose GE flying into the US with outstanding warrant.

As for flying out the Feds do get information on passengers. However generally only Felony warrants will cause any problem outbound

Inbound any federal warrant will trigger immigration to detain you. Those with state warrants are generally only stopped for felony warrants unless flying into the state the warrant is from. In that case even misdemeanor warrants can be enforced, though not always.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Theuden
It depends on the applicable circumstances.

Some people do manage to fly common carriers internationally out of ATL even with a warrant. The chances of a problem at re-entry may be greater than at exit, but there too it comes down to the applicable circumstances.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Inbound any federal warrant will trigger immigration to detain you. Those with state warrants are generally only stopped for felony warrants unless flying into the state the warrant is from. In that case even misdemeanor warrants can be enforced, though not always.
This is my understanding.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It also depends on what non-federal jurisdiction issued the warrant. A local Georgia warrant which won't require extradition will just get you "lateraled" to local law enforcement at ATL.

If you are looking for certainty, you are not going to get it here.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Perhaps you should ask your lawyer.
That's probably the best option. I'd do that too if I'd be in the same situation.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If any issue should arise it certainly is getting back into the USA, unless if you have Global Entry which allows you to zip thru immigration and avoid possible questioning.
GE won't bypass that. There was a GAO document a year or two describing the Trusted Traveler program which mentioned that members are frequently being cross referenced against various databases. A GE member with a warrant would likely be flagged/removed from the program even if they weren't travelling at all.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
GE won't bypass that. There was a GAO document a year or two describing the Trusted Traveler program which mentioned that members are frequently being cross referenced against various databases. A GE member with a warrant would likely be flagged/removed from the program even if they weren't travelling at all.
Good to know.

<no longer germaine>

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 14, 2016 at 3:27 am Reason: Housekeeping request taken care of
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
IS the warrant for a misdemaanor or felony and from what state? You want to avoid flying into the USA with any felony warrant, or flying internationally into a state where you have have any warrant, felony or misdemeanor.
It is a misdemeanor warrant. I would fly from Atlanta to Orlando to ft lauderdale. From ft lauderdale to Guatemala City. I tried checkin in online and it said I have to see a boarding agent. Is that a bad sign you think? I wouldn't want to go into the airport tomorrow Mornin and get picked up
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I tried checking in online and it told me to see boarding agent? What does that mean?

Could it be because I might have a warrant and they would catch me there or what can it mean? Spirit Airlines by the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.