Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I've traveled with less than 6 months validity 5-6 times. Never had a problem with the airlines.

This is along the lines of "get to the airport 3 hours before a departure".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:49 am

I would just renew about 6 months before. Yes, it's like the 3-hour-rule, but really, it's not

What would be nice is if they tacked on the time remaining on your old passport to the validity of your new one. I think the UK does this. This way you're not being stiffed some passport validity.

I also think it's generally a good idea to have a passport card with a different validity period so the two don't expire on the same day, but rather overlap about half their validity (e.g. passport book expires in 2020, passport card in 2025).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Data Point

I made an appointment for my wife at the Stamford CT post passport office. We got there a few minutes before our appointment.You should have seen the non-appointment line. Out the door. That might have been because they just opened, and were still backed up.

My wife was flying within 7 days. We entered. They reviewed her documents. They gave her a number. She's called within a couple of minutes. She's out in 20 minutes. ^ They tell her that the passport will arrive in 48 hours. I asked about hanging around to pick it up and was told NO. You can hang around if you're departing within 24 hours, otherwise the passport gets express mailed to you.

FYI, this government office makes the TSA look like rookies. @:-)

dh
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by catocony
I've traveled with less than 6 months validity 5-6 times. Never had a problem with the airlines.

This is along the lines of "get to the airport 3 hours before a departure".
The difference is that not renewing your passport until the last minute saves you, what, a grand total of $8 every 10 years? For what? The chance of getting harassed by a airline employee or border guard?

Do you also wait until your gas tank is completely empty before refilling or your brakes are completely worn before replacing?

Just set your calendar to remind you every 9 years and renew at your convenience at that point.
Randyk47 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
The difference is that not renewing your passport until the last minute saves you, what, a grand total of $8 every 10 years? For what? The chance of getting harassed by a airline employee or border guard.
So are there any documented cases of harassment? I just entered Germany with passport expiring in four months. No one batted an eye.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by seawolf
So are there any documented cases of harassment? I just entered Germany with passport expiring in four months. No one batted an eye.
You were OK entering Germany because Schengen only requires 3 months validity remaining. Many other countries require 6 months. Some don't require any fixed period and only require the passport is valid during your stay.

And of course, it requires someone to actually look at your passport, which airline employees usually do better than border agents.

In any case there are a lot of people who are denied boarding regularly because of passport validity issues. There are dozens of examples if you google "denied boarding passport 6 months"
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
You were OK entering Germany because Schengen only requires 3 months validity remaining. Many other countries require 6 months. Some don't require any fixed period and only require the passport is valid during your stay.

And of course, it requires someone to actually look at your passport, which airline employees usually do better than border agents.

In any case there are a lot of people who are denied boarding regularly because of passport validity issues. There are dozens of examples if you google "denied boarding passport 6 months"
And they were denied because they were visiting a 6-month required country or denied because of over zealous airline employees?

If passport is valid for the countries being visiting/transiting, NOT renewing 6-9 months in advance is NOT an issue.

Before the German trip, was also able used it to enter Canada 5 months prior to expiration. Again not a problem.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

I think that we have exhausted debating the point of how long before expiration a passport should be renewed.

If you don't have something new to add, it is time to move on.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
My passport is coming up for renewal. I have the paperwork but have not sent it in yet. This morning I woke with a fear “OMG Texas.” The address half the country mails their passport to is in Texas. I had to check. Luckily it is in Irving near Dallas, so mail and employees should get through.

If the passport office was in Houston they would be closed for weeks or months. Philly would be the only office left and might be swamped. Renewal times could be horrible nationwide. Thank goodness the passport office was not located in Houston.

You just normally don't have to worry that a hurricane could affect your passport renewal.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:11 am

You could of course buy a refundable ticket for the next day and go to a passport agency, if you're willing to pay the expedite fee.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
My wife received her new passport. It was a rush. Her old passport was returned with the new one.

I applied the regular way. My passport arrived without the old one. Is that normal?

dh
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I applied the regular way. My passport arrived without the old one. Is that normal?

dh
The last time that I renewed my passport, the old one was returned in a separate envelope a few days later.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:18 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dhammer53
My wife received her new passport. It was a rush. Her old passport was returned with the new one.

dh
yes, that is normal.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:26 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

General US Passport renewal processing issues and questions are generally discussed in the following thread in the USA forum:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I always just do a same-day/next-day passport. I'm lucky that my office is about 5 minutes from a passport office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.