Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport Expires within 6 Months - Time to Get a New One?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by catocony
Too hard to see what? You stand in front of a white backdrop, take your glasses off, someone takes the photo, you put your glasses back on.

Were you trying to take your own passport photo or something?
Actually, I have a contacts lens. Yes, I was taking a passport photos. So he asked me to take it off my glasses. I can see a camera. My eyes can barely see it.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
You don't have to take your contacts out. Just eyeglasses.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by ft101
For my first (child) and second passport (adult), the requirements were no glasses. I still have over 2 years left on it so I assumed the rules were still the same.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmh1204
For my first (child) and second passport (adult), the requirements were no glasses. I still have over 2 years left on it so I assumed the rules were still the same.
No, it's different rules. You can't wear a glasses on.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
No, it's different rules. You can't wear a glasses on.
I was talking about British passports, which now let you wear glasses.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was talking about British passports, which now let you wear glasses.
You're right. I didn't even know that. What about other country who can let you wear glasses on? Switzerland, Italy or anywhere else?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

However, if you need the new passport quickly or if you're nervous about following the instructions to renew by mail, you can easily go to a passport agency to take care of this efficiently.
Generally speaking, if you travel internationally for work or have relatives/business outside the US that might require a last-minute flight, then always us a Passport Agency office. Whether you mail your passport out after it expires or a year early, it's still out of your hands and unavailable for a few weeks. It's not stressful to set up an appointment a week or two in advance at an office, go in, drop off your paperwork and current passport, then either wait for it or come back 1-3 days later for pickup.
My wife is flying August 20 from the US. Her American passport has expired. I was able to make an appointment for her at the Passport office on Monday August 14. Are you saying that it will be available for pickup later in the week?

dh
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
If she has an early appointment, they can most likely do it the same day. If not, within a couple of business days.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
If she has an early appointment, they can most likely do it the same day. If not, within a couple of business days.
That takes the pressure off (me). Thanks.

dh
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Yep, you can renew by mail as long as the passport was issued within the last 15 years to a bearer who was at least 16. For 98% of cases, this means you can renew by mail 5 years after the passport expires.
For future reference, this 5 year time period to renew your book can be easily extended by renewing to get a passport card only (only $30 + photos cost) as long as your book is less than 5 years expired.

Then you get a fresh 15 year clock to get a new passport book by mail, a passport card to use for 10 years, and avoid a post office trip and initiation fee if/when you decide to renew your book.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey! I just got my new passport came. I just got it today. My new passport will expired on July 2027. I got another 10 more years with my new passport.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Whilst many countries in Europe only require a passport valid for your length of stay (from the British FCO so may only apply to UK passports), airlines may not let you board if you have less than 6 months validity.
Which airline are your referring to that does that when passenger is traveling/transiting countries without the 6 month validity requirement?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by seawolf
Which airline are your referring to that does that when passenger is traveling/transiting countries without the 6 month validity requirement?
AA makes this requirement explicit:

Passports must be:

Valid for at least 6 months after the date you enter a foreign country.
Kept in good condition, free of any damage beyond normal wear and tear, and material alterations. You may be denied boarding if you travel with a passport that appears damaged or altered.
I have also heard that Delta enforces this 6 month validity requirement rather strictly, even when the destination country is known to not enforce such a requirement.

I personally would never attempt ANY international air travel within 6 months of expiry. That's just asking for a hassle at some point. When my passport gets to 9-12 months out from expiry, it's time to renew.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
AA makes this requirement explicit:

I have also heard that Delta enforces this 6 month validity requirement rather strictly, even when the destination country is known to not enforce such a requirement.

I personally would never attempt ANY international air travel within 6 months of expiry. That's just asking for a hassle at some point. When my passport gets to 9-12 months out from expiry, it's time to renew.
Thanks. I understand why AA post this requirement on the website to provide a simplified guideline to general public (and to also CYA when they refuse to transport due to specific country requirements).

Interested to see actual practice as I don't think they can really enforce this 6-month requirement across the board when their tariff indicate passenger is responsible their travel documents are in order but then impose their own more restrictive requirement on top of it.

At least Delta inserted the words "In general" when they indicate "In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay in a foreign country."

Last edited by seawolf; Aug 11, 2017 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
Agree. Growing up as a US Air Force brat and then working for the government in positions that required a passport I've pretty much had a current and valid passport my whole life. In fact thanks to the government I've had as many as three valid passports at a time (personal, government issued, and diplomatic). The government was particularly picky about the expiration date of passports they were paying for and it just splashed over to my personal passport. I really only get maybe 9 years use out of passport but that means over a typical life you may end up getting one more passport than if you ran each one out to its max effective length.

Last edited by Randyk47; Aug 11, 2017 at 5:00 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.