Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 10:40 pm

NRT is one of the international airports where TSA is setting up pre-clearance.

Only at Narita, not the other Japanese international airports.

So it does not surprise me why the TSA moved there, and their racial and ethnic profiling.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yes I just few out of NRT this Sunday. Nothing at the gate but a sign warning of TSA and extra security. A year ago out of HKG they had tables set up and checking carryons.

What was interesting was flying into MUC from IAD and not having to go thru security when connecting (to BKK). That was unexpected.
I remember when Kyoto had a sign outside its main train station that the police are on the lookout for terrorists in 2014 (no joke).....Despite Japan being spared from the ISIS target radar (even though two Japanese journalists were killed by ISIS but they were not in Japan when that happened) and being among the safest countries from violent crimes (at least compared to Europe and North America).

Hong Kong has had tables to inspect carry ons for flights to US, Australia, and New Zealand.

The former for liquid ban even if bought from the secured area of the airport and the two latter for their strict quarantine guidelines of food and plant life being brought into their countries.

Last edited by FateSucks; May 29, 2016 at 10:47 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
TSA does not do security at preclearance airports. The signs at NRT was a warning to passengers transferring to another flight in the US, that they would have to go through TSA after clearing Immigration and Customs.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:22 am

I typed that TSA is setting up pre-clearance at NRT, not necessarily right now. Although, in 2014, there were Air Marshals and ICTS agents for US carriers on standby stationed at the airport and they profile passengers (like me when getting my luggage after arriving at NRT and taking a train to get to Tokyo due to being American with an racially ambiguous appearance....it sucked).

It is in the process of doing so and confirmed by DHS.

Last edited by FateSucks; May 30, 2016 at 9:28 am
Old May 30, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by FateSucks
I typed that TSA is setting up pre-clearance at NRT, not necessarily right now. Although, in 2014, there were Air Marshals and ICTS agents for US carriers on standby stationed at the airport and they profile passengers (like me when getting my luggage after arriving at NRT and taking a train to get to Tokyo due to being American with an racially ambiguous appearance....it sucked).

It is in the process of doing so and confirmed by DHS.
Again, TSA does not operate security at any foreign airports. Only US airports.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Again, TSA does not operate security at any foreign airports. Only US airports.
https://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/...0-new-airports

Do your research before posting!

TSA operates the security at these pre-clearance international airports if the flight is heading toward the USA!
Old May 30, 2016, 11:41 am

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2015/05/29/...0-new-airports

Do your research before posting!

TSA operates the security at these pre-clearance international airports if the flight is heading toward the USA!
Do you understand the difference between the agencies? At preclearance airports, CBP operates Immigration and Customs under a modified operations system. They're not law enforcement, so they can't arrest someone who gets caught with drugs or something. They have to call whatever law enforcement operates at the airport in question.

TSA has no personnel at these airports. You go through security after US Immigration and Customs. The security is local airport security. Not TSA, not TSA contractors, not US personnel. The article you linked never says that TSA operates (or plans to operate) security or has personnel (or plans to have personnel) at these airports. Only that the security has to conform with US-style security, which typically means full shoe and belt carnival, the war on water, etc.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:49 am

You have to follow DHS Security guidelines when taking flights on US bound flights and then you have ICTS (private security company hired by U.S. Carriers) AND Air Marshals on those pre-clearance which the latter are hired by The DHS at the airport for US bound flights. And may include profiling since the DHS admitted it racial and ethnic profiles passengers on US bound flights and Obama gave it a OK a year ago (disgraceful).

The DHS actually has that as a condition for VWP countries to have more American Air Marshals on US bound flights in order to keep their visa waiver privileges.

I will Admit my error for frequently mixing up TSA with DHS (due to in the U.S., the ones who frequent the rules are the ones in TSA uniform), but it is a branch of the DHS and since 9/11: CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION (CBP) is under the watchful eye of the DHS.

Well, now we understand each other.

Last edited by FateSucks; May 30, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 1:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation

Reminder:
Originally Posted by TWA884
This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum which is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely and with minimal hassle.

Before posting, please ask yourself, “If I were traveling today, is this something I need to know?” For example, discussions of what is permitted through TSA checkpoints belong in this forum.

If you wish to debate what should or should not be permitted through checkpoints or on airplanes, those discussions belongs in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you,

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Also, please stay on topic, that is: Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

Last edited by TWA884; May 30, 2016 at 1:30 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 11:52 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Hong Kong has had tables to inspect carry ons for flights to US, Australia, and New Zealand.

The former for liquid ban even if bought from the secured area of the airport and the two latter for their strict quarantine guidelines of food and plant life being brought into their countries.
I've never flown HK-NZ, but at least for Australia flights, the main thing they confiscate is bottled water - so don't buy lots of water in the terminal. They will take away an apple if they find it, but they never look too hard. I have taken plenty of fruits past these inspections which I then ate on board - as I know how to pack this stuff so they don't bother looking.

The "inspectors" haven't the slightest clue about Australia's customs regulations. The passengers generally know better, seeing as most of them will have been to Australia before, unlike the majority of the "inspectors".
Old May 31, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by :D!
I've never flown HK-NZ, but at least for Australia flights, the main thing they confiscate is bottled water - so don't buy lots of water in the terminal. They will take away an apple if they find it, but they never look too hard. I have taken plenty of fruits past these inspections which I then ate on board - as I know how to pack this stuff so they don't bother looking.
Well, okay, the thread is about airports that don't, but it seems to be easier to describe those that do.

I flew HKG to SYD (five years ago) and agree with the above; it was a cursory visual check for obvious liquids. Not only that, it was at the end of the Hajj and there were many passengers with dark hair and dark complexion in traditional middle Eastern garb who got a serious search, while white people in western clothes got almost no scrutiny.

DXB does the same for flights to Australia (and, I assume, to the US); a portable table before the jetbridge and a quick rummage through the top layer of the bag.
Old May 31, 2016, 8:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note: Please stay on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
That is: Foreign airports with no extra security for US flights

That is US bound flights, not flights headed to SYD, NZ, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bpe
Is the drinks ban still a rule? I don't remember any enforcement or even announcements flying UA from HND last year.
I don't remember any 'extra' rules being enforced at all when flying on non-US carriers in the past few years (NH, KE, and JL at least).
when I have flown back from south america (lima, buenos aires for example) there is another xray at the gate and everyone has to go through and abandon liquids, shoes, etc. then you're corralled into this gate area and not allowed to leave. Even if you've purchased a bottle of water 3 feet from the gate you have to toss it, which makes no sense to me.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
I have flown back to the USA from TPE around 15 times and it has been a long time, if there ever was, that there has been any extra security screening once you have cleared TPE's own security line.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CharlieA
I have flown back to the USA from TPE around 15 times and it has been a long time, if there ever was, that there has been any extra security screening once you have cleared TPE's own security line.
Unless it's on an US carrier there's no need. It's a requirement that US government places on US carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.