Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by InsomniaBA
Hi.

I'm moving to Singapore this week.
However my passport has slight damage to the corner of the cover after retrieving it from the Russian embassy for getting a visum (probably mishandled or something?). The colour off the passport came off in the corner.
Looks like your passport was under the corner of a metal paper holding system of sorts with liquid and/or heat source nearby that has caused that kind of damage before when the passport was pulled out or being used to press in an issued visa. But at this point the cause of the damage from sloppy handling won’t really change a thing.

Singapore may not make a significant issue over that kind of damage which Indonesia may make into a travel show-stopper. While it may not be a big problem if denied entry to Batam with its short ferry from Singapore, I wouldn’t want to fly from SIN-DPS on such a passport with that kind of damage. SIN can be fussy at times too, but if you have SIN-issued travel docs of sort that are presented in conjunction with the passport, SIN is most probably going to let you in eventually and may suggest you visit the Embassy in Singapore to begin the process of getting a new Dutch passport.

The more likely problem will be the airline, if they exam the cover. I wouldn’t expect to use that passport for very long before encountering an airline rep who uses it as a reason to deny check-in and/or boarding. It’s not the fading of the gold print that would concern me. It would be the burgundy cover color removal in the corner that looks more obviously as damage than routine normal wear.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 13, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:23 pm

Damaged U.S Passport.. Need Help & Advice Please! (photos included)

Old Apr 8, 2021, 11:45 pm

i found a thread on a different web site where someone who also washed a U.S passport said they glued the back cover and that sort of "fixed" the back cover.. i wonder if I could do that.. and if so, what kind of glue to use hmmm
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:52 am
Suspended

I would strongly advise against gluing it yourself if you have any intent to try to use it for anything other than as a personal souvenir. And if you were to try to use the beaten up passport for a new/replacement passport, it's better to not do any glue fix yourself.

The more obvious it looks like its condition is that of an extreme but naturally worn and torn passport book -- without any attempted alteration/fix to conceal even damage -- the better it is. Signs of attempted alteration for even fix-purposes is more of a warning sign than a badly aged passport desperately in need of a replacement.
seawolf, wrp96, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, I've had much worse. But get yourself a new one, just in case.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I’ve never washed my passport, but have had a couple with similar wear. I’ve had more problems entering other countries, and not the US, unless the picture page is really delaminating.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 4:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I personally wouldn't worry about it too much, I've had much worse. But get yourself a new one, just in case.
And "just in case" will depend on the country/countries and transport involved. Some places are more likely to be sticklers about the passport being in that condition; even while others on the same trip may just let it pass with or without a comment as long as the passport doesn't seem to have been deliberately altered for some questionable purpose.

Of the stuff the OP showed in this thread, it's the condition of the passport's back cover that would be the most likely thing to cause a problem somewhere. With the biodata page looking in decent condition, the glue from the backcover layers coming undone would make it less likely to be an issue than if the biodata page was messed up.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:59 am

I did have a damaged US passport a number of years ago. My main photo started coming loose. I didn’t have time to get a replacement prior to leaving Japan.

Wasn’t mentioned after arriving in the UK. Only upon leaving the UK did immigration make a bit of a fuss, but decided it was not their problem. Was transferring in Zurich, was given a song and dance and thought I might be given a ‘vacation’ there to get a new passport. But our 2 hour delay turned into 6 hours for all the passengers, and we were kept prisoners in a smaller transit area with no access to restaurants or shops beyond one vendor. When I got back, I applied for a new passport right away via mail with the US embassy in Tokyo (where I live).
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:02 am

I did have a damaged US passport a number of years ago. My main photo started coming loose. I didn’t have time to get a replacement prior to leaving Japan.

Wasn’t mentioned after arriving in the UK. Only upon leaving the UK did immigration make a bit of a fuss, but decided it was not their problem. Was transferring in Zurich, was given a song and dance and thought I might be given a ‘vacation’ there to get a new passport. But our 2 hour delay turned into 6 hours for all the passengers, and we were kept like prisoners in a smaller transit area with no access to restaurants or shops beyond one vendor. When I got back, I applied for a new passport right away via mail with the US embassy in Tokyo (where I live).
Old Apr 9, 2021, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Three suggestions:

1. Replace it,
2. Replace it, and
3. Replace it.

There is no way to predict how any one random check-in agent or border agent at some location somewhere will view this damage. But, if you are denied boarding or entry, the consequences are what they are for that trip.. As others note, whatever you decide, do not attempt repairs yourself. That just looks like a poor alteration or forgery. Your damage at least looks natural.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 1:55 am

Passport lamination, classed as damaged?

In all honesty, my passport that I possess at the moment was only ever bought so I had ID. I’d never actually used it for travel. Expired 2017 and decided I need a new one so want to renew.

The lamination is coming up at two points around the edges and after reading that if it’s classed as damaged I should explain what’s happened.

Will it be classed as damaged or just wear and tear. Will it cause issues getting a renewal?
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
If you could post a photo it may be easier but I am inclined to say it would not be considered damaged. I would think that as long as the ID page is in good shape, you are ok.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:36 am

I would still get it replaced asap
one country may be ok while another country may reject it
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:47 pm

You could always fill out the renewal forms, print them out and go to your local passport office (often a local post office) and apply for renewal there especially if it's the ID page that's delaminating. If it's the ID page I'd bring documents to prove identity like you did when you originally applied just to be safe. If you just want it for an ID I'd also get the passport card which will hold up a lot better than the book.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I would still get it replaced asap
one country may be ok while another country may reject it
The passport is already expired. So the primary situation is that of getting a new passport.

Given my own experience with the lamination coming off around photos on the passports a few years before the OP’s passport issue year, I will note that the passport agency in DC didn’t consider them damaged and literally just repressed the lamination. Use of the passports for renewal generally went without a hitch. The OP’s passport isn’t expired by more than 5 years yet, so if this lamination thing is about a US “adult passport”, I would get the renewal in sooner than later. If for some reason they consider the passport to be “damaged” — rather than normal wear and tear — deal with it if/when it comes up.
Ari likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.