Traveling with lithium batteries.

Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Lithium-Ion?????

Capacity :26800mAh
Output :5V / 4A (total)

So 134 wh

Again, the above discussion pertains to Lithium-Ion batteries.
Yes, Lithium. According to your math above. and assuming you disregard all but the first three digits, My device is

Capacity: 18000mAh
Output: 5v/ 4A

So 90 wh. Though the box and documents show about 67.

Does that sound right?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If it's specified to 67 Wh, that's going to be the more correct figure. Output voltage degrades over time as the battery discharges, so you won't ever get a full 90 Wh of energy out of the battery. This is part of the reason batteries are marketed with the somewhat less useful [m]Ah.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Do any of you carry a large portable battery pack in your carry on gear?
Specifically, something as large as a 30000mAh pack?

Ever had a problem with it at security checkpoint?

Do you know a specific site/source that addresses this?

Thanks.
If it puts out 5v it can fly with airline permission, max two batteries. If it puts out more than that it doesn't fly.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:30 pm

Thankfully never had an issue with the USB battery packs or extra 18650s in a plastc battery holder.

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Yes, Lithium. According to your math above. and assuming you disregard all but the first three digits, My device is

Capacity: 18000mAh
Output: 5v/ 4A

So 90 wh. Though the box and documents show about 67.

Does that sound right?
The 67Wh figure is probably for the 5v output. I've read depending the quality of the LiIon cells are and how efficient the boost converter is you'll lose anywhere from 20-40% of the cells' rating when boosting the voltage from the nominal 3.7v to 5v.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If it puts out 5v it can fly with airline permission, max two batteries. If it puts out more than that it doesn't fly.
At 18 Ah it could have a voltage of up to almost 9V and be ok (can carry on two 160 wh L-Ion batteries with preapproval).
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonehead
At 18 Ah it could have a voltage of up to almost 9V and be ok (can carry on two 160 wh L-Ion batteries with preapproval).
Think he's going to get permission for something that doesn't really need to fly?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Confiscation of lithium external battery chargers in carry-on bags

Just acquired a Jackery Bolt 6000mAh external battery charger and read several accounts on Amazon of chargers being confiscated in Beijing (higher capacities than the Bolt however). One said the limit is 5000mAh; another that his Jackery was confiscated because the capacity was not indicated on the unit (mine is clearly marked 6000mAh).
Should I fear my charger could be confiscated? I'll be traveling through HK, Beijing, Siem Reap, Tokyo
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have been traveling with a 10,000 mAh one for the past 3 years, over a hundred flights all over the world and not once was it taken, been through Beijing a few times as well, they took my lighter but not the battery...
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by optimom
Just acquired a Jackery Bolt 6000mAh external battery charger and read several accounts on Amazon of chargers being confiscated in Beijing (higher capacities than the Bolt however). One said the limit is 5000mAh; another that his Jackery was confiscated because the capacity was not indicated on the unit (mine is clearly marked 6000mAh).
Should I fear my charger could be confiscated? I'll be traveling through HK, Beijing, Siem Reap, Tokyo
China will take any battery that's unmarked. Otherwise, the limit is 100Wh. Watts = Amp * voltage. An ordinary charger battery is 5V, thus your 6,000 mAh = 30Wh. That should not be a problem anywhere but note about China wanting it to be marked. (Otherwise people would erase the markings and claim it was under the limit. Easier to say "must be marked" than resolve the borderline cases.)
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:04 am

Batteries

Any issues with bringing extra camera batteries on carryon luggage these days (will be flying out of SFO)? I haven't flown since the new electronics screening have been implemented. I plan on having them all fully charged in case I need to show they are legit and work. and they all have plastic covers over the terminals.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta, United
Typically not as it is the larger batteries that some countries have a problem with regardless if they are checked or in you carry on. I.e. best to check the airline's guidelines if you are flying internationally.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Here are the FAA guidelines:
Pack Safe - Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

Spare (uninstalled) lithium ion and lithium metal batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. When a carry-on bag is checked at the gate or at planeside, all spare lithium batteries must be removed from the bag and kept with the passenger in the aircraft cabin. The battery terminals must be protected from short circuit.

This covers spare lithium metal and spare rechargeable lithium ion batteries for personal electronics such as cameras, cell phones, laptop computers, tablets, watches, calculators, etc. This also includes external battery chargers (portable rechargers) containing a lithium ion battery. For lithium batteries that are installed in a device (laptop, cell phone, camera, etc.), see the entry for "portable electronic devices, containing batteries" in this chart.
Click on the link above for size and quantity limits.

For more detailed information, please check the FAA regulations on batteries [PDF].
The TSA Guidelines:
Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less may be carried in a device in either carry-on or checked bags. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags.
Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours may be allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval, but are limited to two spare batteries per passenger. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags.
TSA Travel Tip:
And for an example, this is Alaska Air's policy of Prohibited and restricted items.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
hi-i want to carry a dewalt 20 volt max cordless lithium ion drill/driver kit
2 batteries 1.3amp/h.. and charger

just to ck does the drill and the bits have to go in ck in luggage
and the charger /batteries in hand luggage?
thanks
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:24 pm

Taking Roomba on International flight tomorrow. worried.

I bought my wife an iRobot Roomba 675 which she's always been wanting, and I finally found a good enough deal to get it.
Tomorrow i plan to take it from PHX to Kyiv, Ukraine via EWR and LHR on American and British airlines.

The roomba has a 3000 mAh lithium battery in it. I don't believe it exceeds any limits on lithium ion battery products, but I want to make sure that I don;t get my bags confiscated either. Anyone have any suggestions?
I can remove the battery from the roomba, pack it separately, take it in my carry on, etc etc.... If worst comes to worst, i'd rather just sacrifice the battery and buy a replacement ratheer than deal with a TSA headache.

Does anyone here have any experiences similar?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Hello @swoned,

The guidelines for taking batteries on flight are discussed in the Traveling with lithium batteries thread, where I have merged your question.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.