Safety razors - any issues

Old Feb 29, 16, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Safety razors - any issues

I'm considering switching to a safety razor. As these hold full sized razor blades (and I will want to carry spares) is this likely to be an issue at security checkpoints?
Old Feb 29, 16, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
The official TSA blog here says no:
... safety razors are not permitted in your carry-on luggage with the blade. The blades must be stored in your checked luggage.
If you won't be checking bags otherwise, I'd suggest you stay with the cartridge variety for travel - or grow a beard.

(That said, I'll ask a moderator to move this thread to the Travel Safety/Security area, probably the Practical Issues forum there. You may get more informed answers there.)
Old Feb 29, 16, 7:42 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz, Chase Credit Cards

Moderator Note: I'm going to move this to the Travel Safety forum.
Old Feb 29, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
The official TSA blog here says no:

If you won't be checking bags otherwise, I'd suggest you stay with the cartridge variety for travel - or grow a beard.

Agree. I thought hipsters had beards anyway?
Old Feb 29, 16, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I travel with either disposable razors or my dollar shave club cartridge razor. At home I use a barber's razor as it isn't allowed in carry on.
Old Feb 29, 16, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3 Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
I travel with either disposable razors or my dollar shave club cartridge razor. At home I use a barber's razor as it isn't allowed in carry on.
Same here, Disposable Mach 3's when flying and a DE safety razor at home. If I'm going somewhere long enough to check baggage, 2+ weeks, I'll usually pack up my shaving kit with my DE.

Other option is pack your DE w/o a blade and either mail one to yourself at the hotel or buy locally if you find them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: