FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   security-where to hide money, credit cards, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1736832-security-where-hide-money-credit-cards-etc.html)

wonderer Jan 5, 2016 10:25 pm

security-where to hide money, credit cards, etc.

Where do you put your money, credit cards, check book, passport etc. as you go through security? I put them in a zippered compartment in my carry on, under a bunch of stuff, but still feel very insecure as I lose sight of it, especially as I always have to go through "extra" screening due to my knee replacement. My husband is in a wheel chair, so there is lots of distraction with him and his stuff also. I have tried to say we will go separate and have one of us keep and eye on the stuff as it comes out, but during busy times that is not always possible. Any ideas? Where do you "hide" your stuff??

chris19992 Jan 5, 2016 10:34 pm

I only ever put loose change in the bag, I keep my wallet in my pocket and its never caused any problems

Annalisa12 Jan 5, 2016 10:53 pm

Just in my handbag.

mikew99 Jan 6, 2016 1:44 am

I put everything in my carry-on bag. Some people feel more comfortable by locking their bag, but that won't help if the entire bag is stolen.

I recommend that you keep your carry-on bag in view at all times. Do note that you might have to insist on this. You might have to make a fuss, but the TSA won't take responsibility for theft, so I frankly see no alternative.

fwoomp Jan 6, 2016 3:05 am

I protect some items by not carrying them with me (travel with checkbook? Never!).

I put my passport in a convenient zipped pocket, because I don't really worry about its being stolen by the TSA. Wallet, credit cards, and small electronic devices I try to make too annoying to get to by burying them--in zipped pocket in purse, purse temporarily in carry on. I also make sure everything's still there before leaving the checkpoint.

I have, and will continue, to insist on keeping my bags in sight if I go through any secondary screening while traveling alone. TSA has been peevish about it when I've done so, but that's too bad.

PAX_fips Jan 6, 2016 4:15 am

and split the troves.. one CC+some cash in the hold, one CC+some cash+one photo ID in the carry-on/handbag and the same on your body. Ok, the last thing wont help for TSA, but anyway, you get the idea.

dchristiva Jan 6, 2016 7:30 am

Right into my briefcase or bookbag. Never thought twice about it since I do all of that away from the security line and I don't put my belongings through the conveyor belt/X-ray until I'm ready to go through screening. PreCheck status makes this pretty easy.

mbece Jan 6, 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dchristiva (Post 25971169)
Right into my briefcase or bookbag. Never thought twice about it since I do all of that away from the security line and I don't put my belongings through the conveyor belt/X-ray until I'm ready to go through screening. PreCheck status makes this pretty easy.

I do the same even though I don't have precheck. But I also make sure I don't lose sight of my bags and let the agents know I want to keep them in sight, they usually accommodate even if it means letting another passenger go first in the scanner.

sethweinstein Jan 6, 2016 10:14 am

It's ridiculous that one would ever be made to be separated from one's wallet. If required to remove it from my pocket, I hold it and let the officer check it by hand, counting the cash before and after.

I've also insisted on keeping my valuables in view as they exit the X-ray machine. Without fail the TSA has responded rudely. I lock all compartments before sending it through.

Seth

JY1024 Jan 6, 2016 12:31 pm

Let's actually move this over to the Practical Travel & Security forum for further discussion. Thanks! :) /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator

Often1 Jan 6, 2016 2:21 pm

I toss everything in the front pocket of my carryon. I have never had what even remotely approaches a problem. Many more pressing issues and problems to worry about than this.

txviking Jan 6, 2016 3:19 pm

I keep mine in my carryon and try to keep the carryon in view at all times. TSA, however, sometimes plain won't permit that. And I'm afraid of making too much of a fuss and getting hit with a "transportation security incident" and consequent NEXUS revocation.

My primary approach to keeping my stuff safe is to avoid air travel as much as possible. If my destination is within ~ 1200 miles (2 days of driving), I generally drive instead. In cases where flying is the only practical option, I try to minimize what valuables I carry. No checkbook, minimal cash, etc.

emrdoc Jan 6, 2016 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp (Post 25970175)
I protect some items by not carrying them with me (travel with checkbook? Never!).

What's a checkbook?

;)

holacanada Jan 6, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi everybody !

Why give such as safe and personal informations on this forum ?

JMOO

Holacanada from Quebec City
Traveller for pleasure

MrAndy1369 Jan 6, 2016 7:48 pm

Why would TSA be so jeery/rude about people actually wanting to keep an eye on their personal items, anyway? Other than actually having a plan to steal them, that is.