Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA missed bag with 40 rifle ammo in active-duty US Marine who flew to Taiwan, China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA missed bag with 40 rifle ammo in active-duty US Marine who flew to Taiwan, China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txflyer77
I'm sure the individual responsible has already been promoted.
I used to work for a medium-sized company that had really horrible HR practices. The employees who make mistakes or mess up were usually the ones who end up getting promoted. The ones who did the job right and never showed up late didn't get noticed and ended up being passed over for promotions.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
... or am I being too naive?
Naive. The reason they miss the important stuff is because they are too busy looking for water bottles and toiletries outside the 3-1-1 baggie.

A terrorist could put both a bomb, gun, knife and a water bottle in a bag, and the TSO would probably catch the water bottle but miss everything else
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Naive. The reason they miss the important stuff is because they are too busy looking for water bottles and toiletries outside the 3-1-1 baggie.

A terrorist could put both a bomb, gun, knife and a water bottle in a bag, and the TSO would probably catch the water bottle but miss everything else

sometimes I just want to bury my head in the sand and not think about such
things.... then I had to go look up TSA's annual budget, which is close to
8 BILLION dollars a year... are we any safer than September 10, 2001?
(the day before 9/11) I don't have the answer to that, but I sure don't feel
any safer.

when I was a kid, I saw my uncle pay protection money to a local tough guy
and I knew it was wrong. However, my uncle's store has NEVER once been
vandalized/robbed during the 20 years it was in business. (paying a few
hundred dollars of protection money every few months) In my late uncle's
words... "paying him off is way cheaper than paying for insurance or installing
a security system..." sad but true.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Isn't this common sense that Taiwan is not part of China? Please have some respects and revise title in a more proper way such as "TSA missed bag with 40 rifle ammo in active-duty US Marine who flew to Taiwan or Taipei, Taiwan"
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:18 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by TransAsia
Isn't this common sense that Taiwan is not part of China? Please have some respects and revise title in a more proper way such as "TSA missed bag with 40 rifle ammo in active-duty US Marine who flew to Taiwan or Taipei, Taiwan"
Well, it might not call itself 'China' any more, but Taiwan is still officially a province of (the Republic of) China.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EX PLAT AC Alititude 50K Alaska MVP 75K Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Well, it might not call itself 'China' any more, but Taiwan is still officially a province of (the Republic of) China.
misleading! CHINA=PRC
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Why a proper or good thread title is necessary...

This incident took place in TPE. TPE is in Taiwan, not China.

Do you know the difference between People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC)?

FT knows much better to have a clear boundary in the destination fora. Per destination discussion on China, there's China Forum, while Asia Forum covers Taiwan-related discussion. When FTers talk about China, everyone knows it's about PRC, not Taiwan. When FTers mean the Republic of China (ROC), folks just type up "Taiwan." Savvy FTers don't get confused. Everything politics goes, there's always OMNI.

A mistitled thread can only mislead people. Not to mention there's no mentioning of "China" in OP's link.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by lin821
This incident took place in TPE. TPE is in Taiwan, not China.

Do you know the difference between People's Republic of China (PRC) and the Republic of China (ROC)?

FT knows much better to have a clear boundary in the destination fora. Per destination discussion on China, there's China Forum, while Asia Forum covers Taiwan-related discussion. When FTers talk about China, everyone knows it's about PRC, not Taiwan. When FTers mean the Republic of China (ROC), folks just type up "Taiwan." Savvy FTers don't get confused. Everything politics goes, there's always OMNI.

A mistitled thread can only mislead people. Not to mention there's no mentioning of "China" in OP's link.
The headline would certainly have been clearer if it had just said "Taiwan." That said, both the ROC and PRC agree that Taiwan is part of China. They just disagree (at least officially) on which government is the rightful government over all of China.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
The headline would certainly have been clearer if it had just said "Taiwan." That said, both the ROC and PRC agree that Taiwan is part of China. They just disagree (at least officially) on which government is the rightful government over all of China.
We are not in OMNI to argue any political debate.

Like I said, China equals to PRC in FTers' mind and on FT. When savvy FTers discuss their trips to China, They are heading for PRC. We can be 100% positive they are not visiting Taiwan:

Originally Posted by lin821
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
Oh dear... here we go again. I was counting the number of posts until someone would bite...

Give it a rest, or take it up in OMNI.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
The ROC has an ever-shrinking province of Taiwan. Taipei has not been part of this province for decades. TPE Airport has not been part of this province for months. But yes, both Taipei and TPE are on the island of Taiwan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.