Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

UK HMPO refuses BNO renewal due to difference in given name order

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.

My age group was up for BNO registration 20 years ago, so it's time for a second renewal. Nowadays all overseas applications (from outside the UK) are consolidated to Durham City, and duals are required to color-copy every page of all other passports. I submitted my copies of US and HKSAR passports and HKID as requested. Likely many HK emigrants to the US, I had a name change (flipping first and middle, i.e. Chinese and Western) along with the US naturalization process.

Now HMPO is telling me in order for them "to issue a passport in the name of [as in HKID/HKSARP], you would need to change the name shown on your United States passport, we cannot issue your British passport unless all your names correspond on all your identity documents. Both your Chinese and British passports are acceptable but as your U.S. passport shows your name as [US name] this will need amending and we will need to see the corrected document once this has been acquired."

Obviously I do not want to change my US legal name. However, I have to do something at least to get the expired one returned or something. Is there anything I can do short of going to HK for an English name change (new HKID, new HKSARP, even new HRP)? Would visiting the UK for this process be any different?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:13 pm

Wow - never had an issue before, this will be interesting.

I am now worried because my HKSAR passport and UK passport have different name orders... how cumbersome is the process of changing the name for your US passport?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:40 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I think you can just ask them to return all your documents.

If you want to be completely honest in the future, then you will need to apply for the British passport when all your other passports have expired, as HMPO only wants to see uncancelled passports.

Changing your name in HK is easy, you can just make a statutory declaration at a District Office, it's a turn up and go service (6 years ago anyway). I used this to get a new HKID, and a new Australian passport too. I don't have an HRP but I believe they only have Chinese names?

I have heard from some people renewing passports in person in the UK via the express service, who say that they brought all their other passports but were not asked to show them.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by :D!
If you want to be completely honest in the future, then you will need to apply for the British passport when all your other passports have expired, as HMPO only wants to see uncancelled passports.
(1) Thanks for the enlightenment. This may be the way to go. I just need to let my US passport expire (in 3 years). By that time my only passport will be the HKSARP which will match. I can still legally use my passport card (internationally not a passport) or GE card to drive to/from YVR or walk to TIJ to fly with the HKSARP if I really need to.

(2) Another way I had been thinking (after these past couple days of research) is also to withdraw the app for now and just sit out until this stupidity is sorted out in the UK, either legislatively (I don't have an MP to seek help from) or judicially (plenty of naturalized foreign spouses are complaining there already).

I have heard from some people renewing passports in person in the UK via the express service, who say that they brought all their other passports but were not asked to show them.
I'm hoping scenario (2) will happen, but if current "security scare" intensifies, I'll be denied again using method (1) as I'm not completely "clean". Last time I flew LAX-LHR I used my USP for API and seeked and receive admission with my BNO. The computer may have linked me already. So visiting the UK now (with a record of withdrawal) may not work.

Changing your name in HK is easy, you can just make a statutory declaration at a District Office, it's a turn up and go service (6 years ago anyway). I used this to get a new HKID, and a new Australian passport too. I don't have an HRP but I believe they only have Chinese names?
My research since the last post indicates it's (1) do a simple deed poll at a lawyer's office (HK$400+), (2) go to IMMD's personal registry and get a new HKID (HK$400+), then (3) get a new HKSARP with the temp paper (surprisingly, to keep original passport expiration date, only HK$84).

The HRP does have Latin name--it's coded in the OCR too. If I were to go this route, since I also have my HRP just expired, I'd go renew it under current name just before doing the English name change with the HK Govt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.