Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with Expired ID/Driver License?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2009, 1:32 pm

From the TSA site. Does not state whether or not the DL mustbe current.

Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.
There's an issue here that no one's clarified.

If you show a DL or other state-issued id that has all the above characteristics but has a passed expiration date, shouldn't it be accepted? After all, it meets all the requirements.

If a TSA staff member rejects an ID because the expiration date has passed, what in the TSA rules justifies this?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by fpm
Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity. Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to go through the checkpoint or onto an airplane.
Do you have a Costco card? They seem to be magic secondary IDs for TDCs.

A. Pax presents expired DL. TSO says "no good--expired".
B. Pax requests the no-ID alternative verification stated in above reg.
C. TDC requests "additional information" which he is going to write on his form.
D. Pax attempts to keep a straight face, says "it's all on here", and hands expired DL to TDC to provide requested information.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ron
Yes, you can use an expired license, as long it is not expired more than a year.
I concur.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kushiro
Maybe I'm being dense, but if you need to go to renew your passport, why not use your passport as ID?
This just occurred to me ... usually, renewing your passport requires you to surrender the old one ... and you may not get your new one back instantly. So, while you may be able to use your not-quite-expired passport as ID on the way down, you may not have a passport of any sort to use on the way back.

Disclaimer: I've never tried to renew a passport in-person ... usually, I do the whole thing by mail, and that definitely requires mailing in the old one.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 8:33 pm

my passport expired beg of this month. I was about to do this by mail but read that there is this new passport that is machine readable which require me to go to the nearest embassy to get fingerprinted.

I knew they were going to take the old one away which is why I asked if I was able to use my old drivers l to get on a plane.

I dont want to pay for the flight ticket then find out that I cant use it will they refund your money in this case
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:13 am

Programs: QFF
expired drivers license as ID?
To anyone with sense? yes. To the TSA? no.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Himeno
expired drivers license as ID?
To anyone with sense? yes. To the TSA? no.
2 employees have contradicted this upthread already.

less than 1 year = still OK.

the thing is that pictures change, people change. I was behind a guy the other day who said "no one seems to mention the weightloss anymore " so I'm guessing he lost weight since his picture was taken, but must have gained some back.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
I love this thread. People yelling at the TSA. TSA saying that it will not be aproblem. People still yelling at TSA.

My question would be, why not take the hour or two and get a valid DL for any contingency issue where driving might be useful? That seems like a rather bold assumption that there will not be a time when you want or need to drive that would make it worth not having. I live in the city where I know people who have not driven in years. Nut they maintain a valid license. To each his own I suppose.

Find another more valid reason to yell at TSA.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jenne3215
Need to go from Orlando to Miami flying. Can I use my expired drivers license to get on a plane?

Need to go there to get my passport renewed. I am here on an F-1 student visa it expires at the end of this year. But will eventually get it renewed to continue to get my degree.

I did not get my drivers license renewed because I am graduating this semester so dont need to drive. Not taking any classes. It expired Aug.

Help anyone flown with expired DL? thanks
I had this issue this past summer going from Mcarthur in NY to Palm Beach Florida. The tsa agent gave me a hard time because i was his first of the day according to his buddy and he told me I'd have a hard time getting back ( he told my girlfriend at the time that watch, he's gonna screw with him). Basically he pulled me to the side, asked me why it was expired, I showed him my credit cards, birth certificate and so forth and they let me go took all of 25 seconds. Palm Beach didn't care because I straight out told them what the problem was and they just let me through. Just be straight up with them, and don't hide anything. I had more trouble getting my ID renewed at the DMV then I did at the airports.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Paolo01
I love this thread. People yelling at the TSA. TSA saying that it will not be aproblem. People still yelling at TSA.

My question would be, why not take the hour or two and get a valid DL for any contingency issue where driving might be useful? That seems like a rather bold assumption that there will not be a time when you want or need to drive that would make it worth not having. I live in the city where I know people who have not driven in years. Nut they maintain a valid license. To each his own I suppose.

Find another more valid reason to yell at TSA.
ID shouldn't be required to get on a plane as it does nothing for security. That IS a valid reason to yell at TSA.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
ID shouldn't be required to get on a plane as it does nothing for security. That IS a valid reason to yell at TSA.
Speaking of, there's a new post up at PV regarding flying if you've lost your ID. I'm sure everyone will be shocked to notice that the post fails to say why ID is important.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by TSORon
Good point.

Yes, you can use an expired license, as long it is not expired more than a year. But still, if you can, why not use the passport?

But... there are no guarantees when it comes down to yor day of travel, so good luck. As we all know,

"Some airports accept expired drivers licenses, some airports don't.

All airports are different."
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
I made up something as useless as a Rong Original™

Originally Posted by ElPasoPilot
"Some airports accept expired drivers licenses, some airports don't. All airports are different."
There you go again, misquoting Blogdad Bob's Big Law of PositiVe IDentification:

"Some IDs are expired, some are not. All IDs are different."
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:27 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by TSORon
Good point.

Yes, you can use an expired license, as long it is not expired more than a year. But still, if you can, why not use the passport?
Okay.. stupid question... why does it matter if something expired 365 days ago vs. 367 days ago (just to account for leap years)?

Greg
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by GregL
Okay.. stupid question... why does it matter if something expired 365 days ago vs. 367 days ago (just to account for leap years)?

Greg
Without a valid ID you go stale after a year is up - sort of like passing the use by date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.