Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Local Restrictions when Bringing Alcohol into The U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Local Restrictions when Bringing Alcohol into The U.S.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Generally speaking, no duty or IRT is due on anything that's not staying in the US. Even if CBP doesn't believe you, though, the tax on a 750mL bottle of wine under 16% ABV is 21 cents. Subtracting a liter apiece for three adults, you're on the hook for 8 bottles to the tune of $1.68, which I can't imagine anyone at JFK being bored enough to collect.

The most likely scenario is that CBP won't even ask about the wine.
Thanks. But I guess I should declare it anyway to avoid problems, especially with GE?
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mikebg
Thanks. But I guess I should declare it anyway to avoid problems, especially with GE?
Absolutely declare it. But the tax rate is so low on wine - if you can lift it they won't collect it.
Old May 30, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by mnbp
Absolutely declare it. But the tax rate is so low on wine - if you can lift it they won't collect it.
Thanks.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Does anyone know what the federal tax/duty rate is on spirits? Thinking of buying 4l between two of us on the Washington State Ferry ship. 2l for friends in WA and 2l to bring back (WA tax is collected by self-declaration and includes exemptions for reexport out of state). Doing this way as WSF inventory management can make planning particular purchases dicey and there's a coupon for 10% off $50 or more purchase.
Old May 31, 2019, 6:30 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Also check to see if your state collects. Alcohol is basically a states regulated item. Texas collects duty and a 3.00 admin fee. TABC has officers at the border and Galveston seaport but relies on CBP to enforce the state law at airports. Not huge amounts per se but they can, in theory, get you on the state rules also.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Does anyone know what the federal tax/duty rate is on spirits? Thinking of buying 4l between two of us on the Washington State Ferry ship. 2l for friends in WA and 2l to bring back (WA tax is collected by self-declaration and includes exemptions for reexport out of state). Doing this way as WSF inventory management can make planning particular purchases dicey and there's a coupon for 10% off $50 or more purchase.
$13.50 per proof gallon (1 gallon at 50% ABV/100°), which is $2.14 per 750mL bottle at 80°.

https://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/taxrates.shtml (the lower rates for small quantities apply only to producers, as a personal importer you pay the full rate)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Section 107
I suggest putting each bottle in a ziplock bag and then wrapping each bottle with bubble-wrap, socks, or even newspaper as a last resort.

Mark the box very well with "fragile/glass" stickers. Hope most of the bottles make it through undamaged.
I normally wrap the bottles in 2 - 3 sheets of newspaper, tape this up, then put inside a sock. If I have some cardboard cases for wine, I will then put inside this, tape up, and put inside my suitcase.

I've put up to 21 bottles in my 2 checked suitcases, multiple times from South Africa to Europe. Never broken a bottle.

​​​​I have been known to also wrap the newspaper wrapped bottles in a plastic supermarket bag, before placing inside said sock. This is usually when a bottle is unusually shaped as extra protection.

If I'm buying wine directly from an estate the wrapped bottles go back into the estates own box.
Works very well for me.

Travelling with BA as Silver, I get 64 kg allowance and the only time I make full use of it is on my flights from South Africa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.