Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by catocony
OP, you had to go through TSA twice? I don't really get that part. Why was a second BP issued at the UC?

In general, don't route through the US on an international-to-international connection. There is no bypass of US Immigration and Customs. As to what would have happened if you had been denied entry, most likely they would have put you on a plane back to Tokyo. I doubt if they would have put you on your flight to Mexico. Sounds weird, but I believe that is the procedure.
Yes that's correct - both NRT-IAH and IAH-CUN BPs were printed in NRT. The former had SSSS on it (which they did before the boarding started near the gate by paging me), the second did not. When the second BPs was scanned at TSA security check on connection in IAH, they said nothing and I went through normal security. Its only when the UC agent re-printed the IAH-CUN BP it now had SSSS on it.

I agree with what you said in the responses though that its only the second security screening being pulled off the flight that was really annoying. Actually after reading this thread (thanks admin for moving my post btw!) I realized how problematic traveling through Turkey is for the US authorities - I think I just didn't realize the extent of this before... Will be more aware in future!
Old May 28, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
The protocol is that you go back to your last point of origin, e.g. NRT in this case. I suppose it is possible that if Mexican authorities expressly agreed in advance to admit the passenger, CBP might route the passenger onward, but an extremely unlikely scenario.

As to the second BP, I presume that there must have been a note on the record which appeared when the UC scanned OP in. Better at the UC than the gate, but the UC dropped the ball on not sending OP back to the checkpoint.
I know of one person who was denied entry to the US and routed forward to their ticketed destination. Said person was a citizen of the destination country, though.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbrower
I am interested in the proper response to "where would they send me." Normally, if you fail to clear Immigration, you go back to last point of departure (I think - but, I am happy to say, I am not an expert on this). What do more experienced travelers have to say?
Usually yes, but not always. I’ve seen people sent to take an onward flight sometimes, even as it’s more common to see people returned to prior flight’s origin.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by ddartt
Upon arriving to check in desk in NRT, the check in guy looked a bit concerned and finally gave me a phone to speak to someone. The person said he works for the US government.
It's disappointing to hear that the obsession with Turkey continues, even as Turkish internal security tightens considerably. I recently boarded a TK flight from the US without any sort of outbound CBP presence whatsoever, so I was hoping that some of the paranoia might be starting to subside.

Did he happen to note where he worked? National Targeting Center or Regional Carrier Liaison Group, perhaps? It seems very odd to me that they would do an interview by phone from NRT, as there is definitely an Immigration Advisory presence on the ground there (and it looks like they're actually hiring). IAP isn't discussed often on this forum and they've been kind enough to give me a break for the past couple of years, but it's interesting that they would do the interview by phone when there was almost certainly someone who could have been called over to clear (or bounce) you in person.

I asked an IAP agent (officer?) about what would have happened if I had chosen to broken-travel out of Turkey through an airport without IAP, and he basically shrugged and indicated that I'd probably just get the same hard secondary I always got upon repatriation. If pre-embarkation phone interviews are a thing now, that may no longer be true.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
It's disappointing to hear that the obsession with Turkey continues, even as Turkish internal security tightens considerably. I recently boarded a TK flight from the US without any sort of outbound CBP presence whatsoever, so I was hoping that some of the paranoia might be starting to subside.

Did he happen to note where he worked? National Targeting Center or Regional Carrier Liaison Group, perhaps? It seems very odd to me that they would do an interview by phone from NRT, as there is definitely an Immigration Advisory presence on the ground there (and it looks like they're actually hiring). IAP isn't discussed often on this forum and they've been kind enough to give me a break for the past couple of years, but it's interesting that they would do the interview by phone when there was almost certainly someone who could have been called over to clear (or bounce) you in person.

I asked an IAP agent (officer?) about what would have happened if I had chosen to broken-travel out of Turkey through an airport without IAP, and he basically shrugged and indicated that I'd probably just get the same hard secondary I always got upon repatriation. If pre-embarkation phone interviews are a thing now, that may no longer be true.
IAP and CLP at NRT with IST-related travel have at least sometimes involved over the phone questioning, directly or otherwise. It didn’t necessarily make any difference with regard to secondary upon US repatriation.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:34 pm

Apologies for a delay in response, I had to be offline for some time visiting one of the least internet connected countries which happens to be not too far from Cancun :-).
From what I recall, your man on the phone in NRT told me he is a bit far from the check in area now and it's easier to do just a quick chat on the phone rather than holding me until he gets there. Again from what I recall, he just said he works for the US government without giving more details.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddartt
Apologies for a delay in response, I had to be offline for some time visiting one of the least internet connected countries which happens to be not too far from Cancun :-).
From what I recall, your man on the phone in NRT told me he is a bit far from the check in area now and it's easier to do just a quick chat on the phone rather than holding me until he gets there. Again from what I recall, he just said he works for the US government without giving more details.
It’s not new for CBP to do it often enough on the phone. It’s been going on for years and years and years — even before Turkey visits frequently lead to being temporarily blacklisted such as to be hit with SSSS.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I have been lucky with no issues following a recent Turkey visit, but now am concerned about an upcoming trip to Cairo. Is repeated SSSS a thing for occasional travelers to Egypt now?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I have been lucky with no issues following a recent Turkey visit, but now am concerned about an upcoming trip to Cairo. Is repeated SSSS a thing for occasional travelers to Egypt now?
rDon't know yet, but I've been to Cairo (on the TLV-CAI-JFK itinerary), so will find out soon if that outweighs the GE.
As an aside, my Egyptair CAI-JFK BP in Cairo read SSSS. I was pretty peeved about it, until I looked around and realized that *every* passenger's BP read SSSS
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this still an issue for people that transit IST?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 11:16 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
One FlyerTalker recently reported getting SSSSed on domestic flights after traveling to Turkey. There may have been more to it than just travel to Turkey, though.

The discussion starts with this post:
Old Dec 24, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I spent 2 weeks in Istanbul in September and then 2 weeks in Dubrovnik, Croatia for vacation (no SSSS on any flight to/from) and just took my first domestic flight since returning (ONT-DEN RT) and got SSSS with a 1 hour long inspection with a bomb expert. Was wondering what was going on until I found this thread. Wonder how long this will go on for. Interestingly, after 5 years of flying, weekly, this is my first time getting SSSS.

Last edited by seigex; Dec 24, 2020 at 9:40 am
Old Dec 27, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
My return flight tonight, I'm unable to do OLCI, so I'm certain it'll be another SSSS. Looks like this is my travel life for the foreseeable future.

For a data point, I book award flights as one-ways to make any last-minute trip changes easier. So my flight itin was like this:

LAX-DFW-LHR-IST (one way award, AA/BA) 2 weeks in IST
IST-FRA-DBV (one way, Turkish Airlines and Croatian Airlines using United miles) 2 weeks in Dubrovnik
DBV-LHR-LAX (one way, Croatian airlines, AA) return home

Last edited by seigex; Dec 27, 2020 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 28, 2020, 5:20 am
Suspended

For those for whom being in Turkey ends up being an issue that gives rise to SSSS hits (even on US domestic flights too on wholly-US itineraries), it's mostly an issue when Turkish airports are the origin/destination on flight ticket coupons that come to the attention of the USG; it's way less frequently an issue when IST/Turkey is just a transit/X on the flight ticket coupons. [Most US persons with Turkish O&D travel don't get ESLed, as it's a minority experience.]

The potential ESLing that seigex may be facing for a few months (before it drops off) is most probably a consequence of the factor of having Turkish airports as O/D on the flight ticket coupons (instead of merely as an X on the flight ticket coupons).
SkyTeam777, seigex and ek9 like this.
Old May 22, 2022, 8:21 pm

Is SSSS for itineraries relating to Turkey still an issue? I am planning some travel to Europe this summer and I wanted to see whether I need to avoid Turkish Airlines. I am glad to know that transit in Turkey brings about the issue less frequently but it makes me concerned about what happens if there are IRROPS., which could prolong the stay in Turkey. I actually have wanted to visit Istanbul at some point as I have heard amazing things about it, but it has not been worth the risk of SSSS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.