Travel to/thru Turkey and SSSS

Old Dec 20, 17, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

The Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues informational. Please limit your responses here to factual information, data points and practical advice.

If you wish to debate the reasons for selecting individuals for having SSSS on their boarding passes, please do so in the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum:
'SSSS' on boarding pass - The "Policy Debate" version
Posts have been moved and/or deleted.

Thank you for understanding.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 31, 17, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, DL GM, UA Silver, HH DIA, Hyatt Exp, IHG PLT, Marriott/SPG GLD, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
I flew to Turkey on 12/25 on a Delta/KLM award ticket. I flew home today on an Iberia/BA award ticket. My BP at ORY for ORY-JFK was marked with SSSS and I was screened there. However, no issues on arriving at JFK. No X on my GE slip, no questioning from anyone. And My BP for JFK-RDU today printed out with Precheck on it.

My next trip is in two weeks, we'll see what happens then.
Old Jan 6, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2 Million Miler, United Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I flew to Turkey on 12/25 on a Delta/KLM award ticket. I flew home today on an Iberia/BA award ticket. My BP at ORY for ORY-JFK was marked with SSSS and I was screened there. However, no issues on arriving at JFK. No X on my GE slip, no questioning from anyone. And My BP for JFK-RDU today printed out with Precheck on it.

My next trip is in two weeks, we'll see what happens then.
Sounds like that is a function of booking a one way return ticket. I am hoping that the SSSS syndrome from visiting Turkey is becoming less likely for travelers these days.
Old Feb 3, 18, 8:39 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
What's the consensus these days on connecting through IST -- without leaving the airport -- on a o/w ticket from the US to Europe? Are there any instances of SSSS appearing on later travel that appear to result from merely connecting there on an outbound flight, rather than arriving in the US from IST?

I've avoided TK for the past two years for precisely that reason, but I'm planning an upcoming SFO>TXL trip and the best award itinerary hands down is on TK.
Old Feb 3, 18, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2 Million Miler, United Platinum, AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I have had SSSS any time I do a one-way ticket back to the US whether from IST or not. I doubt you will get it on a one-way ticket out of the USA.

The concern now is for people staying in IST a couple of days as a stopover...is that still triggering SSSS?
Old Feb 5, 18, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, DL GM, UA Silver, HH DIA, Hyatt Exp, IHG PLT, Marriott/SPG GLD, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
I booked a DL/KL one way ticket to IST for last December. I stayed two days then flew on TK to ATH and later home to the US from there. My Europe-US flight was SSSSed. Since then I have had zero SSSS and Precheck on every ticket.
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:39 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I have had SSSS any time I do a one-way ticket back to the US whether from IST or not. I doubt you will get it on a one-way ticket out of the USA.
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
I booked a DL/KL one way ticket to IST for last December. I stayed two days then flew on TK to ATH and later home to the US from there. My Europe-US flight was SSSSed. Since then I have had zero SSSS and Precheck on every ticket.
Thanks for the data points. A relief to hear that if there is any effect these days from visiting or transiting IST, it's exponentially shorter than it was a couple years back, when some endured SSSS for weeks afterward.

Search this Thread