FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Passport Security Stickers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1693744-passport-security-stickers.html)

Orion Mar 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Passport Security Stickers

What do you do with the security stickers placed on the back of your passport? Do you peel them off? Do you let them accumulate? Just curious.

GUWonder Mar 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 16042688)
What do you do with the security stickers placed on the back of your passport? Do you peel them off? Do you let them accumulate? Just curious.

I peel them off more often than not immediately after boarding the flight for which the screeners placed the sticker. And sooner or later, I take them all all off the back cover of my passport.

Good Guy Mar 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 16042688)

Keep them on. I like people to know how "salty" I am. :)

PhlyingRPh Mar 15, 2011 11:46 pm

I save them for when I am waiting in line to reenter the US and then I pick at them and peel them off, then stick them on the retractable belt stanchions or the backs of people that are annoying.

aviationwiz Mar 16, 2011 12:09 am

I always peel them off after getting situated on the flight for which the sticker was placed.

FriendlySkies Mar 16, 2011 12:14 am

I keep mine on my passport. I currently have two (LHR & FRA), and expect several more in 2011.

bluenotesro Mar 16, 2011 12:51 am

I have 5 or 6 from various Arab countries which I've left on for the next time I travel to Amerika.....just to irritate the TSA clerks :D

PhlyingRPh Mar 16, 2011 12:52 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 16042978)
I keep mine on my passport. I currently have two (LHR & FRA), and expect several more in 2011.

Something that happened a couple of times at LGW when checking in for DEN or IAH flights was that an ICTS screener that I might have seen a dozen times over the past few months would not recognize me during the questioning process, but when he or she would turn my passport around to affix the sticker du jour, they would see their own initials on multiple stickers then look at me and say "I remember you now".

I had a similar experience at LHR T1 recently involving one of the ICTS girls, who, upon seeing her initials on a couple of the stickers said "Oh, I've had you before". Of course, I had to ruin it by saying something crass and idiotic - "not yet luv, but you've screened me before". She was not amused.

kiriel Mar 16, 2011 1:20 am

I don't have security stickers...I remember getting one once, but I haven't for my most recent international trips. Or maybe I just picked them off without even realizing it.

I have purikura instead!! And scattered throughout my passport. I was told it was a bad idea and that airport security would get mad at me for my decorations, but I said screw them :p I love my sparkly pink mini photos. Reminds me of better times in Japan during high school :(

PhlyingRPh Mar 16, 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by kiriel (Post 16043152)
I don't have security stickers...I remember getting one once, but I haven't for my most recent international trips. Or maybe I just picked them off without even realizing it.

I have purikura instead!! And scattered throughout my passport. I was told it was a bad idea and that airport security would get mad at me for my decorations, but I said screw them :p I love my sparkly pink mini photos. Reminds me of better times in Japan during high school :(

Excellent ^

stifle Mar 16, 2011 3:48 am

I've only ever gotten one once, and I removed it pretty soon afterwards. What are they even for anyway?

STBCypriot Mar 16, 2011 5:45 am

I've found that if I don't take them off right away (within a day), they leave a nasty sticky residue on the back of my passport. So if I don't remember to take them right away, I just leave them there.

SDF_Traveler Mar 16, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 16043430)
I've only ever gotten one once, and I removed it pretty soon afterwards. What are they even for anyway?

They verify you've gone through the pre-check-in interview by a security agent.

When your passport is checked at the gate just prior to boarding by security staff, they look for the sticker to verify you've gone through the interview.

Security companies like ICTS, which the airlines hire, use these stickers.

Back of my passport is covered with em.

manneca Mar 16, 2011 8:01 am

I keep them on then I get tired of seeing my passport with those stickers so I peel them off and clean the goo off. Obviously I don't have enough to do.

Mats Mar 16, 2011 8:50 am

I have twice had ICTS staff recognize their own initials on previous stickers. This happened once in Stockholm and once in Paris. Both screeners were particularly kind about it, saying "Oh. We have met before." The questions were extremely brief in those circumstances.

Those stickers are made of super glue. I'm amazed that I still have some old ones on my duffel bag. They survive rain, trips to the gym, etc.