Passport Security Stickers

Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I peel mine off before the flight lands for which the sticker was applied. I choose not to tempt fate by removing them after boarding, since it's always possible that we might have to deplane and go through the rigamarole again. The first they they check for at the boarding door is the sticker, and if you don't have one, you have to start the security questioning all over again!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:57 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I peel them off once I'm back home or on the plane or whatever. I did notice the last one we got (Rome a couple weeks ago) was not the easy to remove type, it was either an older sticker and the glue was drying out or they were saving a few bucks on the roll of stickers. If they continue to use the impossible to remove ones I'll just leave them on.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Something that happened a couple of times at LGW when checking in for DEN or IAH flights was that an ICTS screener that I might have seen a dozen times over the past few months would not recognize me during the questioning process, but when he or she would turn my passport around to affix the sticker du jour, they would see their own initials on multiple stickers then look at me and say "I remember you now".

I had a similar experience at LHR T1 recently involving one of the ICTS girls, who, upon seeing her initials on a couple of the stickers said "Oh, I've had you before". Of course, I had to ruin it by saying something crass and idiotic - "not yet luv, but you've screened me before". She was not amused.
Some of the ICTS screeners are so clueless that they fail to remember hard to forget facts even a week later.And yet ICTS and its like are what TSA wants for flights to the US operated by US carriers.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some of the ICTS screeners are so clueless that they fail to remember hard to forget facts even a week later.And yet ICTS and its like are what TSA wants for flights to the US operated by US carriers.
There's some interesting politics involving the usual suspects behind ICTS.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I peel them off when there enough to confuse the screener looking for today's sticker. The old glue does leave a mess, though.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:46 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I am surprised that I am the only poster that doesn't let them sticker my passport. I used to, but as another poster said, they're gummy.

I decline POLITELY everytime, and have not had an issue because of it. During their surprise phase, I let them know that I'm comfortable if they have to do an extra check at the gate, which calms them down.

But to be honest, it's the same crew at the gate as it was during the pre-check-in interview... so they just waive me on.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I usually leave 'em on - just like I have a collection of "valet" bag tags from RJ flights.

When I did my GE interview, the USCBP interviewer peeled off one of the stickers that had been placed on the "eagle" seal on the front of passport. He said he always likes to see the "Eagle" (and noted that it's usually the Italians that stick 'em on the front...)
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I usually leave 'em on - just like I have a collection of "valet" bag tags from RJ flights.

When I did my GE interview, the USCBP interviewer peeled off one of the stickers that had been placed on the "eagle" seal on the front of passport. He said he always likes to see the "Eagle" (and noted that it's usually the Italians that stick 'em on the front...)
CBP can barely see any "Eagle" seal on the front cover of my passport since the US Passport has been so heavily used. Other than with former Soviet satellite states -- those that are part of the EU -- never had an issue because of that. I'm not sure how much that is due to TSA-approved-airline-retained contractors at Italian airports, but perhaps a little "credit" goes to them.

There's some interesting politics involving the usual suspects behind ICTS.
... to say the least. Money and cross-national favors for money are fungible after all, as people in a country that has land borders with Afghanistan, India and Iran find out when payments of blood money occur to get a release for a person on trial for murder.

... and I'm not talking about "Russia"/FSU, despite the legions of FSU expats in the employ of ICTS who I keep running into in various countries.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 16, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
I keep my stickers on

I have been to AMS/CPH quite a bit in the last month, taking advantage of the low Delta fares to CPH. Twice I had an extra-private screening where all they proceeded to do was pull everything out of my bags and x-ray things individually.

+1 sticker for each extra screening, +1 sticker for each standard screening, which is why I have two stickers of the same color. They even covered one up!

I haven't run into the same crowd of screeners on this AMS-PDX route yet, so I keep getting doubly interrogated.

-- images don't work?
Pic of the back of my passport
Old Mar 16, 2011, 4:52 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
CBP can barely see any "Eagle" seal on the front cover of my passport since the US Passport has been so heavily used. Other than with former Soviet satellite states -- those that are part of the EU -- never had an issue because of that. I'm not sure how much that is due to TSA-approved-airline-retained contractors at Italian airports, but perhaps a little "credit" goes to them.

... to say the least. Money and cross-national favors for money are fungible after all, as people in a country that has land borders with Afghanistan, India and Iran find out when payments of blood money occur to get a release for a person on trial for murder.

... and I'm not talking about "Russia"/FSU, despite the legions of FSU expats in the employ of ICTS who I keep running into in various countries.
I fly Italia USA or vice versa at least once a month and have never had the sticker placed over the front. ymmv

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:24 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, the TLV stickers stay on (as does the GE "CBP" sticker) and the rest come off.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

tangentially related: some visa processing centres now like to affix stickers with barcodes to the back of passports, for processing tracking i presume. (they also like stapling through front and back like crazy. i wonder when they'll get the chip.)

that creates an interesting little work of art in the back of the passport along with the multi-coloured stickers of icts and consorts.

al
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I had a similar experience at LHR T1 recently involving one of the ICTS girls, who, upon seeing her initials on a couple of the stickers said "Oh, I've had you before". Of course, I had to ruin it by saying something crass and idiotic - "not yet luv, but you've screened me before". She was not amused.
^
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Well she will definitely remember you next time, stickers or not!

The security stickers don't bother me, and I have never removed any of them. I have 20 or so on my 5-year-old passport.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I very much want to keep my passport intact for the ten years of its validity, so keep it inside a passport holder at all times.
I fscking hate when anyone tries to stick or staple stuff outside or inside my passport.
The only exception is immigration agents, because you don't mess with them.
I request security screeners to not stick anything on the outside of my passport. Same goes for baggage check-in who (rarely) attempt to stick the baggage tags on the back of my passport.
For I-94 forms, I carefully remove them myself in advance before check-in. Check-in agents tend to tear them off of the passport without any care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.