FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Is a Swiss Army Knife allowed as carry on? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1688661-swiss-army-knife-allowed-carry.html)

invisible Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am

Is a Swiss Army Knife allowed as carry on?

Have a flight on Southwest and my friends give Victorinox 14 Function Swiss Army Knife as a gift. I have only carry-on with me. Can I take it in carry on (it is in the plastic package still) or do I have to mail it?

MSPeconomist Jun 18, 2015 9:05 am

I would assume that TSA will confiscate it if they notice. Corkscrews are allowed, but not the ones that have the tiny pull out knife for cutting the foil on a wine bottle. Your Swiss army knife would have a similar but larger blade.

Simon1 Jun 18, 2015 9:05 am

no way.

gobluetwo Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am

no
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...ibited-items#4

If you have one that does not include a knife, it should be allowed.

SheBangsTheDrums Jun 18, 2015 9:47 am

You're really asking if its ok to take a kinfe on a flight?

gobluetwo Jun 18, 2015 9:56 am

Originally Posted by SheBangsTheDrums (Post 24990842)
You're really asking if its ok to take a kinfe on a flight?

If the OP is not a frequent flyer, he may not be aware of the latest rules. There was a time a couple of years ago when TSA had initially announced they'd be allowing small knives, but then backed off that pledge. No need to condescend.

And yes, it is US-specific, given that he is referring to flying Southwest.

Doc Savage Jun 18, 2015 9:59 am

Mail it or check it (since bags are free on WN). Just box it in a medium sized cardboard box to check it in.

onobond Jun 18, 2015 10:00 am

A Swiss Army knife would, by definition, have a knife, and therefore be confiscated by TSA.

Searching for 14 Function on the Victorinoc web page returns this At the bottom right is a 14 function knife, albeit with a wooden handle.

Many years ago Tax-free stores at ZRH sold Swiss Army knifes. Must have become obsolete after 9/11

SheBangsTheDrums Jun 18, 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 24990900)
And yes, it is US-specific, given that he is referring to flying Southwest.

Not sure what you're getting at here?

Doc Savage Jun 18, 2015 10:02 am

Originally Posted by SheBangsTheDrums (Post 24990923)
Not sure what you're getting at here?

TSA is anal retentive.

A knife like this might well be disallowed in other jurisdictions, too.

lewisc Jun 18, 2015 10:42 am

Is Victorinox Swiss Army Knife allowed as carry on?

www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Everyday-Use/Jetsetter/58128

You can buy a blade less swiss army knife.
PP is right, TSA rules did permit small blades. The rule change was repealed prior to the effective date.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Jun 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by onobond (Post 24990922)
A Swiss Army knife would, by definition, have a knife, and therefore be confiscated by TSA.

TSA never confiscates anything ... you are merely surrendering it to them. :rolleyes:

onobond Jun 18, 2015 2:09 pm

OP specifies what Swiss army knife he wanted to bring through security. That model certainly has a knife.

Searching the Victorinox webpage for jetsetter or 58128 do not reveal any "bladeless knifes"

gobluetwo Jun 18, 2015 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by onobond (Post 24992276)
OP specifies what Swiss army knife he wanted to bring through security. That model certainly has a knife.

Searching the Victorinox webpage for jetsetter or 58128 do not reveal any "bladeless knifes"

The Jetsetter has no knife blade and, per the link I posted above, scissors with a less than 4" long blade are allowed. The Jetsetter is allowed.

JY1024 Jun 18, 2015 4:19 pm

Moving to the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator