Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of countries/airports who take fingerprints and other biometric data

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by raporot
how is situation with New Zealand?
Do they take fingerprints for tourists from EU?
New Zealand doesn't fingerprint.

(And you pretty much self-clear customs without speaking to a human with Smartgate anyway)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Cuba: photo on arrival and departure
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:50 am

Can anyone confirm if in Singapore Changi airport there is fingerprinting if one only transits and does not pass through immigration?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by mike5542
Can anyone confirm if in Singapore Changi airport there is fingerprinting if one only transits and does not pass through immigration?
Nope. Only passing thru immi but seems hit and miss. I use the automated turnstiles but have noticed sometimes they sometimes take fingerprints/photos at the booths and sometimes not. A friend visited before Xmas (US passport) and was only photographed and no fingerprints; nothing on way out.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:50 am

Thank you flyingmango!
One more please . Can anyone confirm if there are biometrics taken in Hong Kong Airport for transit?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Thank you flyingmango!
One more please . Can anyone confirm if there are biometrics taken in Hong Kong Airport for transit?
No biometrics at all (including arrivals and departures) as of end of last November. Doubt it changed.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: AS, FB, MB, MR, HH
Canada no fingerprints taken, except in rare circumstances in secondary inspection.

However introduction of Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK) means Canada can now take a photo of ALL pax (citizen, resident, visitor) on arrival. Legally though you are entitled to proceed straight to a CBSA agent with a paper form if you so chose. There is no legislation making the use of PIK mandatory, though the airport-employed maze lizards will put up stiff resistance.

PIK are currently operating for international arrivals at these airports , YOW, YVR, YYZ (T3), YEG, YHZ, YUL, YQB, with more airports to follow.

PIK are not to be confused with the older ABC kiosks, still in operation at YYC, which do not take a photo.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

I was in for a pleasant surprise when arriving in China about two weeks ago: No fingerprint scanners to be seen anywhere at PEK (Beijing Capital Airport). Seems like the roll-out is happening much slower than expected - I would have thought that, with the manpower available, the Chinese government would have pushed this through quickly, but alas, I won't complain! It makes me wonder whether there scanners in operation anywhere except for SZX.

As a consequence I've added a note to the most recent version of the table. I have also added Cuba as per okamzikprosim's comment.

Originally Posted by majik
However introduction of Primary Inspection Kiosks (PIK) means Canada can now take a photo of ALL pax (citizen, resident, visitor) on arrival. Legally though you are entitled to proceed straight to a CBSA agent with a paper form if you so chose. There is no legislation making the use of PIK mandatory, though the airport-employed maze lizards will put up stiff resistance.
Thank you for reporting this! Pretty much the same is happening for departures at AKL (Auckland, New Zealand) now - all passport holders eligible for Smartgate are asked to use them despite being no official rule to do so, and staff gets agitated easily when questioning this. Strangely though, this is not true for arrivals (yet).
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if Switzerland is taking fingerprints from arriving visitors now? I have seen a mention here and also when Googling around about them installing some fingerprint stations, but do they use it for visitors in general or only certain special cases?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

There have been fingerprint scanners at (for example) ZRH for a long time, but I've never seen them being used - not surprisingly since there is no regular fingerprinting yet when entering Schengen. So the answer is no, Switzerland does not take any - that may change in 2020 when the Schengen Entry/Exit System is supposed to be in place. I assume the Swiss are just overprepared.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:35 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I just visited the UAE and unlike on my last visit some time ago, they didn't take my photo or do an iris scan. This time I used the Emirates terminal (3) at DXB but I used Terminal 1 previously.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Brave New World
There have been fingerprint scanners at (for example) ZRH for a long time, but I've never seen them being used - not surprisingly since there is no regular fingerprinting yet when entering Schengen. So the answer is no, Switzerland does not take any - that may change in 2020 when the Schengen Entry/Exit System is supposed to be in place. I assume the Swiss are just overprepared.
Thanks for that!

Would also like to ask about the Netherlands. Does anyone know if biometrics are taken when entering the Netherlands? from AMS airport mainly. From Googling it I haven't seen anything about biometric scanning in the Netherlands, but maybe anyone can confirm that?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brave New World
I've seen them used for those with visas, not for those entering visa-free.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:00 am

Does anyone know if Switzerland is taking fingerprints from arriving visitors now? I have seen a mention here and also when Googling around about them installing some fingerprint stations, but do they use it for visitors in general or only certain special cases?
Schengen points-of-entry should all have fingerprint scanners for visa-holders, but these are not for recording biometrics but for comparison with the fingerprints already recorded in the VIS-database. This will change though when the electronic entry/exit system gets implemented. 2020 is the target date but it's an continent-wide IT project on a staggering scale so I'm guessing some delays in the implementations would not be surprising.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:26 am

Hey guys does anyone know if india fingerprints upon arrival. Been reading some people say say yes others no. Has anyone travled there recntly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.