Funny "rules" of HEL airport security scans

Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:36 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Funny "rules" of HEL airport security scans

Maybe it is just me, but I have found on several occasions that HEL security operates a set of rules that are not very known to me. I travel a fair amount of airports and there are some rules that I haven't come across anywhere else. Here are a few examples:

* Pockets must be completely empty / papers must be scanned
Several times I have been stopped when operator of security think I have something in a pocket of the trousers or shirt. We are talking about handkerchief, paper tissue, magazine page rip out or a note book paper. When I empty my pockets and say "it is just a paper" they insist on scanning the sheet of paper.

* Dry stick deodorant classified as "liquids"
Carry on luggage have been rejected in scan and hand search. Then been told by operator "Liquids must be declared!!". When asking "How is that a liquid?" answer given is "That is the rules".

* Ridicolously small metal items must be removed
Rings, small jewellery, mainly plastic wrist watch - all can trigger the body scan and at times must be removed and scanned separately.

* Ipad must be scanned outside of luggage
Well, a few other airports insists on this too, but most places accepts ipads and phones inside luggage.

After being tutored that a dry stick deodorant is "liquid" I am starting to think they are just randomly rejecting bags and then pretending to be tough guys to intimidate people...

Many of these items are accepted even by TSA so why does HEL security operate such a tight set of rules?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Maybe it is just me, but I have found on several occasions that HEL security operates a set of rules that are not very known to me. I travel a fair amount of airports and there are some rules that I haven't come across anywhere else. Here are a few examples:

* Pockets must be completely empty / papers must be scanned
Several times I have been stopped when operator of security think I have something in a pocket of the trousers or shirt. We are talking about handkerchief, paper tissue, magazine page rip out or a note book paper. When I empty my pockets and say "it is just a paper" they insist on scanning the sheet of paper.

* Ipad must be scanned outside of luggage
Well, a few other airports insists on this too, but most places accepts ipads and phones inside luggage.

Many of these items are accepted even by TSA so why does HEL security operate such a tight set of rules?
Apparently that "pockets" problem doesn't include me, I walked last time yesterday through security check with handkerchief in my pocket without any problems

I've been asked in quite a many airports to place tablet on the tray, so I nowadays do this automatically. In my experience this required in many places. Luckily it's not that a big deal, you can place it on same tray with wallet and phone etc.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, IC Plat. Amb., HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, etc.
According to Trafi (in Finnish), starting March 1st, a new EU regulation requires protective cases on electronics to be removed at airport security.

So, don't expect to be able to pass through security with an iPad in your luggage any time soon...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:17 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Interesting for the future but doesn't really explain why HEL does it already.

And "protective cases" seems to mean all covers/shells. Won't long lines form everywhere if you are to force people to eject devices not only from bag but also from casing?!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:23 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Don´t some destination nowadays require to actually powering up the devices for inspection? Not in HEL yet...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:31 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

I think "power up on request", ie not all devices are to be checked for remaining battery power. Have never so far been requested to do so.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Anyway, the restrictiveness of security scanning is just getting worse and worse. Are the scanners getting weaker and weaker?!

I Japan no restriction on liquids. And yet no japanese flights are blown to pieces by terrorists...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
One that bothers me is the insistence at Finnish airports on having to remove my belt, even though I have already removed the detachable metal buckle, and notified the staff member of having done so...

Not a problem at any other European airports, is this a Trafi regulation or?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
USA TSA sometimes requires that paper tissues be removed from pockets before going through the nuude-o-scope.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flythe96flag
One that bothers me is the insistence at Finnish airports on having to remove my belt, even though I have already removed the detachable metal buckle, and notified the staff member of having done so...

Not a problem at any other European airports, is this a Trafi regulation or?
Noticed this one too. I always dress without belt if I'm flying through HEL...

And they always insist on the full undress even when the "offending" object (metal part) is not present. The insistence beyond reason is typical HEL.

Sometimes CPH also asks people to remove belt, but not as often and not as persistent. I guess they are better trained on hand scanning and search (if scanner does react).
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:47 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
USA TSA sometimes requires that paper tissues be removed from pockets before going through the nuude-o-scope.
Ah, explains why HEL has targeted me. They apparently 'wanna see my junk' clearly. Can't say I blame them, me being so well hanged....
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Nutella is a liquid at RIX. So I assume a stick deodorant is too.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
@OP, funnily, I do basically all of these contra the rules, but very seldom am I asked to correct in HEL compared to other airports.
I am a laaaazyboy, I only correct when asked to
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
Only answer to this (and related security checkpoints) is this old favourite:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmar...-parody-video/
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tsastor
Nutella is a liquid at RIX. So I assume a stick deodorant is too.
If my Lagerfeld is turning Nutella like, I'm not gonna apply it to any bodyparts..
But serously, there might be deodorant that are gelly-like, and then I could semi-understand it, but this one is rock solid.
Even blog.tsa.gov says stick deodorant are fine and not under liquid rules.

Originally Posted by FFlash
@OP, funnily, I do basically all of these contra the rules, but very seldom am I asked to correct in HEL compared to other airports.
I am a laaaazyboy, I only correct when asked to
Yeah, this is going to be my approach from now on. I think they have sooo many false positives that they need to come up with such bogus instructions to cover up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.