Russia to require API for all overflights

Old Feb 21, 15, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Russia to require API for all overflights

I did not see this posted on FT but I came across the news that from 01MAR Russia will require API of all pax overflying their territory.

So routes like BKK, SIN, PVG, PEK, HKG, NRT (from certain airports) will be affected.

Interesting to know the Russian government will have this data.
Old Feb 22, 15, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Doesn't the US already do the same? And the airlines have all this data available commercially for a fee as it is. I don't see it as being a change from the effective status quo.
Old Feb 22, 15, 2:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Doesn't the US already do the same? And the airlines have all this data available commercially for a fee as it is. I don't see it as being a change from the effective status quo.
The US does have an APIS filing requirement for overflights that transit US airspace. Most countries in the world don't have such a thing.

Most countries don't even have a national PNR filing requirment in advance of flight.

There isn't (yet) even an EU-wide PNR/APIS requirement; and some EU countries don't even have such a thing at all on the national level. Privacy rights and laws in the EU countries are being scrapped, sidelined or otherwise creatively made irrelevant (if different) in order to enable national APIS/PNR databases or multinational APIS/PNR databases; this is done because their waivers for surrendering data to the USG don't allow for lawful retention and use of every passengers' PNR info for all flights within or to/from the EU. This is on course to change this year, based on the exploitation of the terrorist attacks in Paris and in Copenhagen this season. Then more airlines will be able to give all this info to way more countries.

For most international airlines that service North America and the EU, providing the info to more countries is a walk in the park if laws don't get in the way.

Countries can use this data to blacklist people from flying over or to/from a country; to figure out who to seize/search/manipulate; to have more dossiers on more people; to have more data to more effectively spy on more people.

The Russians have played an interesting card here against the EU in particular -- just by copying from the US playbook in this regard. It changes things.

[My writing today is a lot more sloppy than usual, but I don't have time today to write on this topic in the very specific way needed to more accurately and precisely cover this topic to the full extent it deserves given what all is involved when APIS is part of the picture. My apologies for that.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 22, 15 at 3:13 pm