Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago OHare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Seattle Tacoma Intl Airport (SEA) started today.

Has anyone actually used this app? I'm wondering if this is better/faster/quicker than Global Entry. I already have GE so don't see a need for the app right now but if i can whisk through immigration with just my passport and some pre-filled out data on an iPhone then I'd rather do that then feed my passport into a machine and have my fingerprints taken.

I guess GE still gets the benefit of having a dedicated customs lane at most airports...for now. I suspect they'll put these mobile app users in that line, too.

-RM
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:09 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Seattle Tacoma Intl Airport (SEA) started today.

Has anyone actually used this app? I'm wondering if this is better/faster/quicker than Global Entry. I already have GE so don't see a need for the app right now but if i can whisk through immigration with just my passport and some pre-filled out data on an iPhone then I'd rather do that then feed my passport into a machine and have my fingerprints taken.

I guess GE still gets the benefit of having a dedicated customs lane at most airports...for now. I suspect they'll put these mobile app users in that line, too.

-RM
I used it in ATL in January. The way it works is you fill in details about your flight and who is traveling (similar to the forms you fill out manually). Then when you land, you connect it and they tell you they've accepted it and it generates a QR code. There was a dedicated line (only 1 however at that time), and the problem was finding it--not too many people knew about it. But once I found the line my wife and I zipped through, mainly because we were just about the only people using it. I think once it becomes more prevalent that may change. Of course, they can add more lanes as well. We really liked it, but I don't have GE so can't compare it.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ords
It looks like April 13th the Mobile app will be officially starting at ORD.
ATL, MIA, ORD and SEA? Will try to use it at ORD this coming week.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:59 pm

Used it at SEA on Saturday. SEA was a zoo. As we exited the plane, everyone was held up which was probably because the immigration lines couldn't handle any more.

The guy holding everyone back yelled out several times that US and Canadian passengers with a smart phone should download the Mobile Passport App. Saying, with it you can bypass the long lines.

This was the first I had heard of this app. But I got it downloaded via a weak T-Mobile signal to my iPhone. Started filling it out just when we were freed to continue to immigration. I went to the normal line and got the App's form filled out and took my own photo to add just as I reached a point in line where I was able to jump that line over to the special Mobile Passport line.

But I still needed to upload the completed form and it wasn't succeeding. Finally switched over to the Airport Wifi and got the form uploaded just as I reached the security agent.

He had me scan the bar code that the App presented, and show him my passport. Handed me a card to present at the exit after claiming my luggage.

Got my bag and then found another long line to exit. When I got to the front, the security agent saw the card that I was handed and motioned me to go to the Global Entry lane which had no one in line. If only I had known this before. There was no signage that would indicate that Mobile Passport users should use the Global Entry line.

Now that I got through it all, it should save a lot of time next opportunity. You can save your Passport Profile in the App with a Pin number. Logging in has all the personal information previously entered. So you just start a new Trip and enter the Airline and Airport. There was something about the entered Trip information being valid for up to 4 hours; so I think next time I should be able to complete the form while taxiing to the gate. Then hopefully breeze through the lines.

Until everyone starts doing the same.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by lostone
There was no signage that would indicate that Mobile Passport users should use the Global Entry line.
And hopefully this is only the case when the GE line is empty. I'd hate to see it fill up with App users that didn't buy into the program.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
And hopefully this is only the case when the GE line is empty. I'd hate to see it fill up with App users that didn't buy into the program.
I believe the regular line didn't have the scanning equipment needed to scan the Mobile Passport App bar code.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:32 pm

From what I have read, the app can now be used in Chicago: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...panel=comments

Chicago already has the kiosks (kiosks for US Citizens, among others, which are separate from Global Entry kiosks). Is there any benefit of using the app instead of the kiosks? The kiosks are already fast and do not ask as many questions as the form.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by guflyer
From what I have read, the app can now be used in Chicago: http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...panel=comments

Chicago already has the kiosks (kiosks for US Citizens, among others, which are separate from Global Entry kiosks). Is there any benefit of using the app instead of the kiosks? The kiosks are already fast and do not ask as many questions as the form.
Once you have entered your passport and address details, you never have to enter them again. You save them with a PIN number to log back in.

So the only data you are entering is for the same customs questions about fruit, cash, etc., plus the arriving airline and airport.

You can fill out and submit the form while still onboard the aircraft. Then head straight to the mobile passport queue where you have the bar code scanned that was displayed after the form you submitted was accepted.

Seems to me this could be even quicker than Global Entry; until Mobile Pass becomes so popular that you have to start queuing in line.

Last edited by lostone; Apr 23, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guflyer

Tried using it this week at ORD, and it failed for me. I'm not sure what the issue was, but it may have been my own user error. For me, there seemed to be no line for MPC (Mobile Passport Control) nor for GE. APC kiosks were plenty available, but after that the people I saw ended up in a line of one or more sort.

GE kiosk use just seems more reliable and predictable in what it does for me than MPC so far.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:25 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Wife and I used the mobile app the second time yesterday at ATL. First time in January there was confusion as no one really knew where to go and there were very few signs. But when we finally found the one podium that had a scanner it was lightning fast. This time, we arrived into a packed hall and after asking three officials, finally were told to go into the regular line. We snaked back and forth for 10 minutes and as we arrived at the head of the line we saw that every podium now had scanners. The guy had me scan both of our QR codes from the phone, looked at the passports, then gave us the laminated card that said we were cleared for customs. However, when we got to the front of the customs line we had to again scan our QR codes and show our passports, even though the first guy said it wasn't required. So still lots of confusion. Hopefully after my June TATL flight it will be a little less cumbersome.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:24 am

Here's some fun fact information for ORD MPC.

Initial day only 7 used MPC, today it's averaging 88 people using MPC.

Not great numbers but getting the word out is helping.
Old May 13, 2015, 11:40 am

So they'll let you use your smart phone in the arrivals hall?
Old May 13, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
So they'll let you use your smart phone in the arrivals hall?
Yep, no problem, done it a couple of times now.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:55 am

Has anyone used Mobile Passport through ORD recently? I have a tight connection coming up, and I'm wondering how that service is progressing.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

It has come to SFO too.

So Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Seattle and now San Francisco have it.

The entity which developed this app is now also peddling PreCheck membership via this app?

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.