Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by TWA884
I doubt that traveling with an eligible person allows your wife to use the MPC app. Most likely your son qualifies, however, since he is only four years old, your wife will have to fill in the information in the app for him and, on the practical side, as long as she has to use an APC kiosk or see a CBP officer, it makes no sense for their entry to the US to be processed separately.
MPC only works for Canadian and US passport holders/users. No proverbial coattails for US or Canadian passport holders granted to others to use MPC.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:13 pm

mobile passport malfunction

I'm a pilot and will be flying from YYZ to All on my last leg of a trip. After checking no to the agricultural questions........nothing happens. The screen on my iPhone just stays on question 4.....indefinitely. What gives?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kapooncha
I can't even get my passport to scan after downloading the app. Total waste of time.
I had some initial difficulty trying to scan my passport and if I recall correctly it turned out to be due to not pointing to the machine readable section in the scan. This was for the Android version - if you are using the ios app the issue may be something else or something specific to your phone and the app combination such as a focusing issue.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blue_can
I had some initial difficulty trying to scan my passport and if I recall correctly it turned out to be due to not pointing to the machine readable section in the scan. This was for the Android version - if you are using the ios app the issue may be something else or something specific to your phone and the app combination such as a focusing issue.
Still don't get it. It looks like it is scanning the machine readable part, as I keep getting an orange light that is flickering as it scans. However, nothing happens.

Don't get it at all.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:42 pm

Still don't get it. It looks like it is scanning the machine readable part, as I keep getting an orange light that is flickering as it scans. However, nothing happens.

Don't get it at all.
Have you tried holding the phone at different distances from the passport to see if that helps?

Sometimes it is not necessarily the fault of the app developer. I develop mobile apps and it is not easy to know for sure if an Android app will work correctly on all phone given the number of Android phones on the market, especially if the app is interacting with specific hardware on the phone such as Bluetooth or GPS - or the camera in this case. A specific combination of hardware could cause issues although the devices on which the app was tested may have worked fine.When I release an Android app I do as much testing as I can using actual devices and simulators but this is small selection of the devices available.

It is a little bit easier with ios apps given the limited number of models and the fact that the App Store has to review and approve all apps and apps that are not functioning as expected are rejected. It's sometimes a nuisance to deal with making sure ios apps confirm to all Apple rules but the user is more likely to get a functioning app over the Android equivalent.

Not sure whether you app is Android or ios. If you still cannot get it to work I would suggest informing the app developer via the appropriate means regarding the issue.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blue_can
Have you tried holding the phone at different distances from the passport to see if that helps?

Sometimes it is not necessarily the fault of the app developer. I develop mobile apps and it is not easy to know for sure if an Android app will work correctly on all phone given the number of Android phones on the market, especially if the app is interacting with specific hardware on the phone such as Bluetooth or GPS - or the camera in this case. A specific combination of hardware could cause issues although the devices on which the app was tested may have worked fine.When I release an Android app I do as much testing as I can using actual devices and simulators but this is small selection of the devices available.

It is a little bit easier with ios apps given the limited number of models and the fact that the App Store has to review and approve all apps and apps that are not functioning as expected are rejected. It's sometimes a nuisance to deal with making sure ios apps confirm to all Apple rules but the user is more likely to get a functioning app over the Android equivalent.

Not sure whether you app is Android or ios. If you still cannot get it to work I would suggest informing the app developer via the appropriate means regarding the issue.
Android. Finally got it to scan. May have had something to do with the reflection that was occurring.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:50 pm

Android. Finally got it to scan. May have had something to do with the reflection that was occurring.
Yes reflections and lighting conditions could have caused the issue.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:07 am

Worked fine for my 3.5 year old daughter and me last month. Used it for the first time (as it's the first time in a while that only US citizens have been in my party (partner is non-US/Canadian). My daughter's photo in the app wasn't even that great.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:37 pm

Worked great entering through MIA on 1/12. Skipped every line and had 1 person in front of me once we got in line.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:08 am

Anyone else having problems taking a photo using the app. I've tried different backgrounds, natural lighting, clothes, etc. and to no avail am able to get the green dot to light up for "frame your face".
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Have used this app for years. Now “unable to process” in MIA. Any idea why?

Update: we went to the kiosks and spouse got an X but I did not. We both have a KTN, FWIW. I’m assuming spouse was the issue but no idea why. We answered no to all questions and had a routine trip. So either random or something they didn’t mention. We do not have GE.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Mar 8, 2019 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I always declare food and never had a problem using Mobile Passport although my last two times into JFK, Mobile Passport wouldn't work when declaring food. I had to go to the kiosk, which would print out an O on the slip. Didnt cause a delay at the checkpoint, but annoyed that I couldnt use Mobile Passport line. I thought the app allowed for declarations, which were embedded into the QR code. Has this changed recently?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I always declare food and never had a problem using Mobile Passport although my last two times into JFK, Mobile Passport wouldn't work when declaring food. I had to go to the kiosk, which would print out an O on the slip. Didnt cause a delay at the checkpoint, but annoyed that I couldnt use Mobile Passport line. I thought the app allowed for declarations, which were embedded into the QR code. Has this changed recently?
They still allow declarations. Just a few weeks ago I used it while declaring food, but this was at ORD. They gave me a generic sort of cardboard MPC card to hand in on the way out of baggage claim.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Is MPC working in San Diego?

Re my post #209 above, can anyone confirm that MPC is back up and working at SAN during the last three months?
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Full Score
Re my post #209 above, can anyone confirm that MPC is back up and working at SAN during the last three months?
Don;t have an answer to your question but regarding your other post - I noticed the same thing at SAN last summer. It sounds like this is the new way of doing things - you just collected your bags, go to the officer, get ID verified by facial recognition, a few brief questions and you're done. There were no declarations paper or otherwise. I also noticed the same things as you - no mention of MPC, no APC machines and a few GE machines by the baggage claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.