Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Food Question

As I understand it, the GE kiosks are set up so that one must declare anything remotely considered food (or risk expulsion)? Is the MPC question worded such that only meat, plants, and the like are applicable (common sense approach, rather than draconian)?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:51 am

For anyone with an iPhone, you can enable Guided Access. You only need to set it up once, and then it's enabled by pressing the home button three times.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Guided Access.

Once turned on, you press the home button three times when you're in the MPC app and select the option.

You can prevent them from swiping, exiting the app, etc. Can even set a timeout (though I wouldn't recommend it in this case as you don't know how long it'll take them to see the barcode).
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Still no Phoenix yet? It is not on the lists.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by xero9
For anyone with an iPhone, you can enable Guided Access. You only need to set it up once, and then it's enabled by pressing the home button three times.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Guided Access.

Once turned on, you press the home button three times when you're in the MPC app and select the option.

You can prevent them from swiping, exiting the app, etc. Can even set a timeout (though I wouldn't recommend it in this case as you don't know how long it'll take them to see the barcode).
Good method. Just don't accidentally lock up the guided access too many times or the time lock can be a pain. And CBP locking it up by accident has happened already.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As I understand it, the GE kiosks are set up so that one must declare anything remotely considered food (or risk expulsion)? Is the MPC question worded such that only meat, plants, and the like are applicable (common sense approach, rather than draconian)?
The question in the mobile app says:

"Do I (we) have any fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, insects, meats, or meat products, dairy products, animals, or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have I (we) visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?"
Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
So, its there any problem with filling out the mobile app on landing and submitting in to CBP but then not using it for entry?

I'll be arriving into EWR later this year from Europe and I have GE, but I thought I may also fill out the app and then I would be able to choose either GE/MBP depending on which was a shorter line.

Would this work?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swiftaw

"Do I (we) have any fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, insects, meats, or meat products, dairy products, animals, or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have I (we) visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?"
Are nuts seeds?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Are nuts seeds?
Botanically speaking, a nut is a hard shelled fruit containing a seed, which is the edible part. I assume that the question pertains to raw seeds, not roasted nuts. However, better be safe than sorry.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Are nuts seeds?
Nuts are or have seeds. A failure to declare a bunch of acorns when arriving with them at a US POE can result in problems, including (but not limited to) possible revocation of GE.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Botanically speaking, a nut is a hard shelled fruit containing a seed, which is the edible part. I assume that the question pertains to raw seeds, not roasted nuts. However, better be safe than sorry.
I was thinking of the stuff that's been removed from the shell and obviously won't grow.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:03 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I was thinking of the stuff that's been removed from the shell and obviously won't grow.
It's not so much just an issue of how/whether there is
/isn't plant growth possibility as it's an issue of whether the stuff is host to something that can disrupt an ecological or agricultural system.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by swiftaw

Thanks - based on those questions, I would have no problem saying that packets of coffee tea creamer and sugar are not applicable.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: 1 thousand
I was rather amused by the conflicting "get the MPC app" and "no cellphone usage" signs throughout the walk to immigration at EWR terminal B. They even have some "mobile passport control zone" signs directly beside/above one of the "no cellphones" signs. (I'm not MPC eligible, but do get GE - neither looked busy.)
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Does anyone have any experience of flying in using a code share flight, e.g. CX metal into ORD, but on an AA code share. I assume that one should use the CX number as the arrival airline?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by televisor
I was rather amused by the conflicting "get the MPC app" and "no cellphone usage" signs throughout the walk to immigration at EWR terminal B. They even have some "mobile passport control zone" signs directly beside/above one of the "no cellphones" signs. (I'm not MPC eligible, but do get GE - neither looked busy.)
I haven't heard CBP officers yelling at people for using phones in baggage claim or in line in the last year or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.