Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 3:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf
You are not suppose to submit until you land.
I submit it a couple of hours or so before I land in the US, largely courtesy of in-flight WiFi on the majority of my flights back into the US this year.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Jan 15, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dahan
I've tried to use MPC twice so far and have gotten that message both times First time was at SFO in December 2016, and again at IAH last week. On initial submission of the declaration form, it showed the "please wait" spinner for maybe 15 or 20 seconds before displaying that message. I tried submitting the form again, and on subsequent attempts, it pretty much immediately came back with a message that I've already reached the maximum number of times I can submit the form. As far as I could tell, I had good internet connectivity at both SFO and IAH.

GE kiosks seemed to be working, but I was with non-GE family, so I didn't try them; just got in the regular line and waited

I sent a feedback email to airsidemobile; haven't gotten any response yet (not even a canned one).
Same experience here - I've tried MPC 4-5x, it worked exactly once (landing at JFK off an AF flight, if that matters). Tried it at JFK yesterday last night off an EK flight, got the exact same message. Any data points on what causes this message?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
Same experience here - I've tried MPC 4-5x, it worked exactly once (landing at JFK off an AF flight, if that matters). Tried it at JFK yesterday last night off an EK flight, got the exact same message. Any data points on what causes this message?
Ditto here. In fact, I came to this thread looking for an answer to that. I'm at least glad to know that it's not just me. I've been wondering if it's because I've been answering 'yes' to the question about bringing back dairy products (mrs. iapetus likes for me to bring hard cheese home from Italy ).

I'm trying again in two days. I will report back about my experience.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by iapetus
I'm trying again in two days. I will report back about my experience.
Failure. My only guess is that it's because I declared the cheese I was carrying ... well, would have been carrying had my bag not missed the connection in FRA.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Hi, longtime reader of FlyerTalk when searching for info, but first time joining and posting.

I've been reading about Mobile Passport Control. I've not used it yet because I only recently caved in and got a smart phone. Reviews all look great for it but there was one that I wondered about. Someone in a review said they were unable to use it a for a flight that arrived after midnight (didn't say which airport) and had to get in the regular line, and fill out the paper form. Does the Mobile Passport line close at night in some places? My next international trip will have me arriving at ORD at 12:15 AM and I was thinking about giving the app a try. In all my years flting in/out of ORD I've left T5 late at night but never arrived this late. So I don't even know if it is busy at immigration at this time so that it even matters to have the mobile passport.

Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deniwilco
Hi, longtime reader of FlyerTalk when searching for info, but first time joining and posting.

I've been reading about Mobile Passport Control. I've not used it yet because I only recently caved in and got a smart phone. Reviews all look great for it but there was one that I wondered about. Someone in a review said they were unable to use it a for a flight that arrived after midnight (didn't say which airport) and had to get in the regular line, and fill out the paper form. Does the Mobile Passport line close at night in some places? My next international trip will have me arriving at ORD at 12:15 AM and I was thinking about giving the app a try. In all my years flting in/out of ORD I've left T5 late at night but never arrived this late. So I don't even know if it is busy at immigration at this time so that it even matters to have the mobile passport.

Thanks.
At times airports with MPC may have CBP shut down or not operate MPC. It happens way more often than shut-downs of even GE (something that happens at times too but is far less likely to be encountered). Even as a frequent Global Entry kiosk user, Automated Passport Control kiosk user and MPC user, I still find that there are times when I’m best off having a largely completed paper declaration form just in case.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old May 11, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone seen B-TRI on their Mobile Passport receipt? What does it mean? I had to have another officer look at my passport apparently because of it.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Deniwilco

Thanks.
Things seem to change, but I have before arrived at ORD T5 at around midnight and the MPC lane was closing. Strangely, they directed everyone to use forms instead of the kiosks. I tried to use a kiosk anyway but then got singled out for an additional search, so I do not recommend asking to use a non-GE kiosk if they are asking everyone to fill out the form (although it may have not been the cause).
Old May 26, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
I used Mobile Passport for the first time at BOS last night and it rocked. The layout may change as it seemed new to me. I got shunted to the far right with the Global Entry people, then there was a Mobile Passport side lane, and I literally walked straight up to an agent. He noted that there are usually machines there to scan the QR code the system sends you once you file after landing, but it was not operative, so he just took my passport in hand and I was done. I didn't see any machines to scan, which makes me wonder if this is a transition situation, as I also did see GE machines either. But I sure was a happy camper - the lines for normal immigration were as long as they usually are in the evening.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I used Mobile Passport for the first time at BOS last night and it rocked. The layout may change as it seemed new to me. I got shunted to the far right with the Global Entry people, then there was a Mobile Passport side lane, and I literally walked straight up to an agent.
Interesting! As I mentioned upthread, my recent MPC experiences at BOS have been the polar opposite of yours, as it appeared BOS was among the only airports that required MPC users to wait in line with everyone else, thus saving only the time spent at the kiosk. I personally experienced long waits in both August and October 2017.

When you say the layout “seemed new,” do you mean it’s changed in just the past six months? I wonder if CBP reverted to the more typical layout after travelers complained.

Can anyone confirm?
Old May 29, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Went through MIA last Sunday and yesterday through IA. Both cases the officer didn't scan my phone. They just glanced at it and looked at my passport. I asked both times if the scanner was broken and was told that they don't use the scanner any more.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Given the recent Delta apple snafu, I just want to be sure of something - on the MPC app, there is no definition of food. I'm bringing a box of chocolates from Athens, which seems to mean that I have to answer YES to the question about food/veggies/meats/etc. Is that correct?

Seems to me that's going to send me to a secondary screening, or will I see the MPC person first and will they ask what the food is before I get diverted?

Entering at MIA (ATH-LHR-MIA), if that matters.

Thanks!
Old May 29, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Given the recent Delta apple snafu, I just want to be sure of something - on the MPC app, there is no definition of food. I'm bringing a box of chocolates from Athens, which seems to mean that I have to answer YES to the question about food/veggies/meats/etc. Is that correct?

Seems to me that's going to send me to a secondary screening, or will I see the MPC person first and will they ask what the food is before I get diverted?

Entering at MIA (ATH-LHR-MIA), if that matters.

Thanks!
The DHS persons doing the MPC receipt check don’t generally send everyone declaring food to secondary. They ask questions before and/or after baggage claim and may decide whether or not to send the MPC user to secondary for food/Ag inspection. In Miami, they seem to be more eager to send people to secondary than at the other US airports of entry which my travel party members use.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 6, 2019 at 2:38 pm
Old May 29, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I suspect that the MPC app food declarations are similar to those made on the Global Entry kiosks. I expect that they will be treated in the same manner.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: JAL, KrisFlyer
Last time I entered US at LAX from NRT and MPC didn't work for me. Tried again and again... had to go through secondary clearance for some reason. Took about 30 minutes. I've used MPC before, no problem. Somehow I got red flagged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.