Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Where can eligible travelers use MPC?

CBP uses the Mobile Passport Control (MPC) application to streamline the processing of eligible travelers entering the United States. Eligible travelers with a smartphone or tablet may voluntarily download the Mobile Passport Control (MPC)-enabled mobile application (app) from a mobile application store (e.g., Apple App Store or Google Play Store).

The MPC mobile app, is available to U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, Canadian B1/B2 citizen visitors and returning Visa Waiver Program travelers with approved ESTA.

MPC is currently available at the following 48 sites, including 33 U.S. International Airports, 11 Preclearance locations, and 4 seaports of entry:
  • Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
  • Aruba Queen Beatrix International Airport (AUA)
  • Bermuda L.F. Wade International Airport (BDA)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Calgary International Airport (YYC)
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
  • Dulles International Airport (IAD)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Halifax Stanfield International Airport (YHZ)
  • Honolulu Daniel K. Inouye International Airport (HNL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • Houston William P. Hobby International Airport (HOU)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
  • Las Vegas Harry Ried International Airport (LAS)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • Montreal Trudeau International Airport (YUL)
  • Nassau Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Oakland International Airport (OAK)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Ottawa International Airport (YOW)
  • Palm Beach Seaport
  • Philadelphia International Airport (PHL)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades Seaport
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • San Juan Airport (SJU)
  • San Juan Seaport
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ)
  • Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
  • Winnipeg James A Richardson International Airport (YWG)
Print Wikipost

US CBP Mobile Passport Control App (MPC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by TWA884
Yes - just saw that when I returned last weekend, after a couple of people had been talking about MPC on the people mover and I told them it had been discontinued at IAD. Whoops!
Old Oct 28, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Used MPC app at ORD yesterday, and MPC was faster to get into the baggage claim area than going via GE. The process after baggage claim was a bit different than earlier uses this year there, as now CBP after baggage claim wanted to scan each of the MPC receipts (again) instead of just taking the MPC cards (the cards which are given by the CBP doing the MPC passport control function right before baggage claim). This double checking of MPC receipts was different than how it was at ORD earlier this year (but akin to how I’ve seen it previously done at some other US MPC airports of entry).

Still using the old MPC app version from before the paid version came out. And still storing and using stored passports works for free as usual. MPC still works even with stored passports that are about to expire within 2-3 months of day of entry.

When it comes to CBP scanning the receipt codes, note that the smaller scannable code may work better/more reliably with the CBP station scanners than the bigger scannable code version. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 28, 2019 at 10:20 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:50 pm

Exclamation ATL remove fro Mobile Pass App.

While testing out the Mobile Pass App for a upcoming trip noticed Atlanta Int’l airport (ATL) was missing from the list of Valid port of Entries. Contact Mobile Pass customer service and they relied:

At the request of our partners at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) was removed from the Mobile Passport app.

Any thought on why they wanted to remove ATL?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: United
My experience

Used MPC twice before in the past 2 years back when it was free, do not remember exact dates/months. Tried to use this in July. Of course now they have paid version so they erased my data since I did not pay up. Entered passport data manually, but it will just not approve my picture. Tried very hard, and then at the airport (after landing) just stopped near a clear background and it just will not approve my picture. Quite weird. Anyways used the regular line. Just got approved for Global Entry so that's my plan going forward.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
For those coming into New York how does mobile passport compare to global entry? I usually fly through immigration with GE in New York, but I am curious if its worth looking into mobile passport as a potential backup?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:03 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Red259
For those coming into New York how does mobile passport compare to global entry? I usually fly through immigration with GE in New York, but I am curious if its worth looking into mobile passport as a potential backup?
Mobile Passport take a few mins to download and then 2-5 mins to fill in your details. I’d just do it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red259
At EWR, MPC often gets me in faster than GE would get me in. And if you’re a family or some other travel party of just US and/or Canadian passport users, then MPC may be way easier and quicker than trying to mess around with a GE kiosk to use together.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Clear has created a free alternative that includes offers passport MRZ scanning and saving details/photo; features that the MPC app by Airside Mobile is charging.

https://www.clearme.com/support/clearpass
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am still using the older, free MPC app version that freely allowed (and allows) storing of passenger passport details and passport user’s photo. It works fine at US airports of entry with MPC enabled. I continue to use it to add new passports and passengers and pay zero money to store the information with the app. CBP accepts the MPC receipts just fine from the older versions of the MPC app that I keep on some of my devices.

Originally Posted by seawolf
Clear has created a free alternative that includes offers passport MRZ scanning and saving details/photo; features that the MPC app by Airside Mobile is charging.

The Clear alternative for MPC is available for use even by those who aren't CLEAR members.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 4, 2020 at 2:54 am
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by seawolf

Fascinating and helpful, thanks. Unfortunately the only written review so far said the app failed/timed out when the user tried to use it at the MPC queue, rendering it useless. (There are also a sprinkling of five-star ratings without written reviews, but those are likely from folks affiliated with the app.)

Anyone else on FT with first-hand experience using it so far? As a Clear member, I selfishly wish they had limited its use to members and beefed up the reliability and feature set, but if they can make money on it while opening it to all, I guess that works too.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 11:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
Fascinating and helpful, thanks. Unfortunately the only written review so far said the app failed/timed out when the user tried to use it at the MPC queue, rendering it useless. (There are also a sprinkling of five-star ratings without written reviews, but those are likely from folks affiliated with the app.)

Anyone else on FT with first-hand experience using it so far? As a Clear member, I selfishly wish they had limited its use to members and beefed up the reliability and feature set, but if they can make money on it while opening it to all, I guess that works too.
I don't think reviews are reliable given it was released less than a month ago. I just "used" it now by submitting a declaration in the app (not entering US) and the CBP barcode came up in about 5 to 8 seconds. At JFK my cell phone have no reception in FIS (not sure if CBP is blocking) so if the user was in an area with no cell or WiFi reception, yeah then it would definitely time out but so would Airside Mobile MPC app. I'm chalking the bad review up as user error.
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Here in PHX. Immigration officer told me about MPC. They no longer used MPC. He says no longer accepting MPC and he says no more. When I got it back home from Switzerland trips. I gave my passport to him. He scan it and go. No questions about my trips. He gave my passport back.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

OAK and HNL have enabled MPC now too.

Nice to see that even with the decline in international passenger flows to the US this year, MPC locations are newly expanding to other US airports of entry.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:41 pm

newbie to international flying here. will getting this app help me get through customs faster upon arriving at FLL for my connecting flight back to PHL? i have 2 hours between flights on a thursday afternoon around 6pm.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luckydriver
newbie to international flying here. will getting this app help me get through customs faster upon arriving at FLL for my connecting flight back to PHL? i have 2 hours between flights on a thursday afternoon around 6pm.
If MPC is open at FLL on the day of your trip, then indeed it could speed up your entry back into the US at FLL and perhaps help you to more easily make your connection to PHL. If by chance MPC is not operating at the time of your arrival at FLL, then you will have to be processed in the more traditional way using APC kiosks or the paper declaration form at FLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.