Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Questioned in the departure jetway "How much cash do you have" at IAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Plat

For the first time ever, on my IAH - FRA departure, there were three customs officers and a dog in the jetway.

The officer asked me 3 different ways "How much cash did I have with me" I answered the same "about $200" all three times. And then he asked the dog to sniff my carry on - They did the same thing to the guy behind me.

Is Uncle Sam up to something?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Bags weighed down by all the miles purchased ?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sounds to me like they're enforcing the requirement that the export of more than $10,000 (in any currency or cash-like instruments) must be reported.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:18 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sounds to me like they're enforcing the requirement that the export of more than $10,000 (in any currency or cash-like instruments) must be reported.
/exactly. It's not uncommon. The dogs smell cash. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...-pups-currency
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by jimrgraham
For the first time ever, on my IAH - FRA departure, there were three customs officers and a dog in the jetway.

The officer asked me 3 different ways "How much cash did I have with me" I answered the same "about $200" all three times. And then he asked the dog to sniff my carry on - They did the same thing to the guy behind me.

Been some discussion about this sort of thing going on at IAH over in the Trusted Traveler forum. The concern with large sums of undeclared currency obviously having a lot to do with both the drug trade and/or the financing of terrorism.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Bags weighed down by all the miles purchased ?
LOL - If only the miles could smell
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I've been asked this a few times over the years when entering or departing the U.S, along with the more common questions about fruits, vegetables, and nuts.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

There is a law that you are only allowed to take $10,000 with you on departure from the country (I suppose to prevent money laundering).

I've seen these checks a lot on flights to Asia (a place where cash is king).
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Standard US customs exit check for CFTRA enforcement.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
You can leave or enter the U.S. with any amount of cash; it just has to be reported. OTOH, someone with a suitcase full of bills might have some explaining to do (but, should be let go if the answers are OK).
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:29 pm

I have seen it several time in LAX, on the flights to central/ south America. I asked the custom agents why, his response was, mules transporting money back to drug lord, after finishing selling in US. And the dogs were trained to sniff cash. A little unusual on the flights to Europe tho.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andrewwm
There is a law that you are only allowed to take $10,000 with you on departure from the country (I suppose to prevent money laundering).

I've seen these checks a lot on flights to Asia (a place where cash is king).
I understand it's the law. I've just never seen this before departing the US. I don't normally fly through IAH. I'm usually out of LAX or SFO where it's never happened and I'm on my 20th or so flight this year out of the US.

I showed him my wallet and then I guess it was enough after the dog was done.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
LOL - If only the miles could smell
Well our miles stink
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
While this happened at IAH which is a United hub, this thread is more suited for Travel Safety and Security Forums so I'm moving it over there

goalie
UA Forum Moderator
Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
While this happened at IAH which is a United hub, this thread is more suited for Travel Safety and Security Forums so I'm moving it over there

goalie
UA Forum Moderator
I apologize for the miss.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.