Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport name mismatch on airline ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by starlette
I booked tickets to Dubai and London via travelocity and included my Middle name because there was a box indicated for it. My UK passport only lists my First name and Last name. Wondering whether this will be a problem at all? Would appreciate insights from anyone who has had a similar experience.
My tickets often show <First Name><Partial Middle Name> then separate <Last Name>. I have never had a problem in customs, including through Dubai.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

Passport name mismatch on airline ticket

Traveling from ATL to LHR in 4 days on Delta.
My passport lists my maiden name
My ticket lists my married name
My driver’s license lists my married name
Everything else is listed in married name.
I just haven’t gotten around to changing passport and now I have to fly urgently to LHR with no time to change name on passport. I’ve already inquired about changing name on my ticket to my match my passport and that’s not an option in my situation. I will be bringing my marriage certificate just in case.

Has anyone been in this situation traveling internationally and how did it go with TSA and immigration on both sides of the continent? Any problems? Turned away? Easy breezy?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jetdiva
Has anyone been in this situation traveling internationally and how did it go with TSA and immigration on both sides of the continent? Any problems? Turned away? Easy breezy?
Just use your driving license for TSA in the US. There is no requirement to show a passport to TSA.

Airline agents should be satisfied with the ticket + passport + marriage license.

UK immigration is unlikely to notice the discrepancy, as they'll be looking at the name on the passport. Fill in the landing card according to the passport (so, your maiden name).

If you run into trouble, it will be with check in agents on the return at LHR who may not be familiar with a US marriage license. Depending on how much time you have in London, it may be worth paying the US embassy a visit and getting the passport name change sorted while there (they should be able to do it same day).
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:39 am

Thanks, Scifience for your suggestions! I do feel at ease leaving the U.S.
As for departing LHR, I will look up the nearest US Embassy and inquire about my situation but I'm afraid I will not have enough time as this is a 1 day business trip.

I am the one and same person. Name changes for women are so fluid and frequent, so I assume my situation isn't unique. What do you think is the worse that could happen?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jetdiva
What do you think is the worse that could happen?
The worst that could happen (and has happened in several cases I know of personally) is that you would be forced to purchase a new one-way ticket back to the US and receive no refund for the unused portion of your original ticket.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't have just booked the ticket using the name on your passport? In the future, it's always best to have your ticket match your travel documentation, even if the travel documentation is technically "incorrect"—a friend had a passport issued with his name misspelled, and used it until expiration without problems by just by booking everything using the "wrong" name.

(As an aside, this situation is only one of many reasons I think changing one's name when marrying is a silly, outdated, and damnably inconvenient custom.)
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The larger issue is with check-in and boarding. Remember, DL does require a document review, including passport, at both.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The larger issue is with check-in and boarding. Remember, DL does require a document review, including passport, at both.
In the US, the marriage certificate is likely to solve this (even if it requires escalating). In the UK at check-in/boarding is where (IMO) the issue will come up.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:02 am
SSZ

Programs: EK EY 9W
Only one name in Passport

My name as in Passport is

First Name <redacted>

Last Name

I don't have a last name mentioned in my Passport.

Since I need to input a Last Name in the ticket what should i do?

I am listing below few options pls reply with the correct method.

Airline Ticket

1) First Name <redacted>

Last Name Mr

2) First Name FNU

Last Name <redacted>

3) First Name <redacted>

Last Name <redacted>

Recently I booked an award ticket in Srilankan using Etihad Guest miles the phone agent insisted on booking the ticket as follows saying this is the rule Etihad applies when a Pax has no Last Name in Passport

First Name FNU

Last Name <redacted>.

Thanks!

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 13, 2017 at 11:55 am Reason: PII redacted
Old Jun 12, 2017, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I don't know the answer

But you might want to replace your real name with substitute names in this post.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the ID listed nothing in the first/given name field, and it said Samuel Smith in the last/familyname/surname field, the ticket being purchased with:

"Samuel Smith" in the first name field; and "Samuel Smith" in the last name field

seems to work rather often.

"FNU" for last name and "Samuel Smith" for first name is what we have encountered in government when dealing with airlines, but some airline reps think FNU is a name. This too works rather often.

People in this area should know that FNU = field not used.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:44 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:24 pm

Our travel agent misspelled my middle name on our tickets to Japan. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are flying xATL, and presumably live around there, rather than wasting a day at the Consulate in London, you can have this taken care of on the spot at the State Dept's Passport Agency in Atlanta.

Just show up with everything necessary for a name change (forms and instructions are online, but you must print and sign them. Bring a hard copy of your e-ticket receipt (not itinerary) showing close-in travel and show up before the scheduled opening time.

The website says that you need an appointment, but if you are polite and you have everything completed correctly and with you, you will be fine.

The problem is indeed check-in for the return.

Because this is a public website and this is a fairly routine issue, it is always best to complete all changes when there is a name change for any reason. If, as is often the case, tickets are booked before the name change, then hold off on ID changes until after the trip.

In your case, you would not have known, but the best would have been to do DL, passport, and ticket profiles roughly at the same time.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...rt-agency.html
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
@Often1 - you do realize that you replied to a post 3,5 years old?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.