Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nayef
Copied from Xyzzy's post:

I think this sums up what to do pretty well:
  • Airline checkin in the US for departure to EU
    • Right now you can show either EU or US (but airline execs I know and have discussed this with suggest giving the airline your US passport).
    • In the future, when ETIAS comes into force, show the EU passport to the airline because the EU will require that data to be sent ahead of the flight.
    • re: the above two comments, it currently doesn't matter which you use from a US perspective. If you are a US citizen, departing the US on an EU passport you've not entered the US with is not going to cause any problems.
  • Immigration on arrival in the EU
    • Show the EU passport because you are a citizen and many/most countries require citizens to show their passports to enter.
  • Airline checkin in the EU for departure to the US
    • Show your US passport to the airline as the US requires you to enter on your US passport and APIS data sent ahead of the flight needs to contain your US data.
  • Immigration departing the EU
    • Show the EU passport that you entered the EU with. The fact that you gave a different passport to the airline will not cause any problem.
  • At the gate for a flight departing to the US: You may be asked to verify your travel documents at the gate before departure and so only show your US passport in this case.
  • Immigration arriving the US
    • Show the US passport you showed to the airline.
Print Wikipost

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by gohima
Which is a moot point (at least in the US) as they will issue you a second passport simply for entering the country that would deny you entry for an Israeli stamp. Certainly standing in the non-eu citizen line

The advice I have always heard is to make sure the airline is aware of both of your passports as passenger data is subject to pre-clearance.

I have yet to use my new EU passport to enter the EU so I cant speak on personal experience as a dual citizen.
I would try to avoid using the the passport you are describing if you can avoid it. Israeli customs spots those passports and a few agents have been known to give people grief. They are issue with eight months on them and you can tell the issuance data. I've had a close friend pulled into secondary and grilled about why he needed such a passport, where else he visited, etc. Then again, when your US passport has extra pages added at the US embassy in the UAE and is full of visas from places like Lebanon, Kuwait, Egypt (not a problem in isolation), the UAE (residence visa), Oman, Saudi, etc., perhaps you are better with the disposable passport.

If only the Israeli stamp wasn't so descript.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:10 pm

Quick Dual Citizenship question

Hello guys,

Was hoping if someone could answer this for me or have some type of previous experience with this issue.

I am currently a dual citizen for USA and S. Korea. I understand I am supposed to leave and re-enter the USA with my USA passport.

Unfortunately, I was given wrong advice by someone, and I left the USA with my Korean Passport. Now when I head back into the USA, I understand I should be using my USA passport to enter, but won't they question me about how I am re-entering in the USA, when "technically" under their system, I never left the country since I didn't use my USA passport on my initial flight out?

I plan on calling customs first thing in the morning, but was seeing if anyone knew anything about this type of situation.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Just re-enter on the US passport. 50/50 chance they ask anything. If they do you can either try to explain that you made a mistake or you could just claim that you thought you left on the US passport but you showed your Korean one to the check in agent as well and they must have put the wrong info into the system opps-so-sorry-they-caused-this-problem.

Personally, I'd go for option two as it's more likely to work and less likely to cause US CBP to screw you around as they are wont to do when given the chance. "Trying to explain" is worst possible thing to do if you haven't been asked yet. YMMV, obviously.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
The U.S. does not have exit controls - showing your passport (Korean) to the airline is so they know you can legally enter the country you are going to, otherwise the airline can be fined if you are refused entry. If you are a U.S. passport holder, even if you hold dual citizenship, you MUST enter the U.S. on your U.S. passport.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Get a travel paper from the US Embassy is probably the least hassle way to sort it out. You could try and re-enter on your Korean passport, but you would need to have ESTA and you still run the risk of being flagged in the system as overstaying your visa waiver period at a later date.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
You will be fine next time you enter. Do nothing in the meantime. Chances are you will raise a flag where one does not need to be raised.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rubesl
The U.S. does not have exit controls - showing your passport (Korean) to the airline is so they know you can legally enter the country you are going to, otherwise the airline can be fined if you are refused entry. If you are a U.S. passport holder, even if you hold dual citizenship, you MUST enter the U.S. on your U.S. passport.
That has been my experience as well. The U.S. does not forbid dual citizenship and the only rule I know of is to use one's U.S. passport when entering the U.S.

I even know of a person who entered at a land crossing using the foreign passport, explaining that the U.S. passport had been accidentally left at home, and was waved through. I'm guessing that would probably be up to the individual discretion of the agent, however.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I always, as the law requires, enter the US on my American passport.

When I leave, the check in agent usually asks to see my Israeli passport.

I have never had any problem upon re-entry.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Isn't the most commonly referred to law that asserts a requirement for US citizens to enter the US on a US passport also the very law that asserts a requirement for US citizens to exit the US on a US passport? Yes.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185

The applicability and power of that often referred to law is rather limited, although neither DHS nor State are willing to highlight the full extent of how its applicability and power is limited under law; its applicability and power is more a function of extralegal, administrative action taken by DHS than of DOJ action in court against a US citizen entering or exiting the country with or without a US passport unless the US citizen has been prohibited by court order or some other law.

Originally Posted by Fredd
That has been my experience as well. The U.S. does not forbid dual citizenship and the only rule I know of is to use one's U.S. passport when entering the U.S.
The US does have exit controls, however, they don't operate in the way they do in many other parts of the world with physical, fixed exit passport control checkpoints prior to exiting the country (at least by air on a common carrier). We do have electronic exit control checks to a rather large extent when it comes to flights out of the US on common carriers; we also have some gate-area checks for various purposes.

Originally Posted by Fredd
I even know of a person who entered at a land crossing using the foreign passport, explaining that the U.S. passport had been accidentally left at home, and was waved through. I'm guessing that would probably be up to the individual discretion of the agent, however.
The CBP employees have no legal right to deny admission to a person who is recognized as a US citizen, passport or not; however CBP employees do exercise discretion on whether or not to send such a recognized US citizen, passport or not, to secondary to validate identity and/or citizenship or to otherwise hassle the person/party for complicating matters and/or being in a somewhat more-than-usual complicated situation.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Isn't the most commonly referred to law that asserts a requirement for US citizens to enter the US on a US passport also the very law that asserts a requirement for US citizens to exit the US on a US passport? Yes.
Fine, but how does someone actually leave the country on his American passport?

Perhaps it suffices that my passport information was given to Delta when I made the reservation (or, in the case of frequent flyers, is in our records).

I certainly have my American passport with me when I leave the US and perhaps that is enough -- even though nobody asks to see it.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
Fine, but how does someone actually leave the country on his American passport?

Perhaps it suffices that my passport information was given to Delta when I made the reservation (or, in the case of frequent flyers, is in our records).

I certainly have my American passport with me when I leave the US and perhaps that is enough -- even though nobody asks to see it.
There is a reason why my previous post included the following:

The applicability and power of that often referred to law is rather limited, although neither DHS nor State are willing to highlight the full extent of how its applicability and power is limited under law; its applicability and power is more a function of extralegal, administrative action taken by DHS than of DOJ action in court against a US citizen entering or exiting the country with or without a US passport unless the US citizen has been prohibited by court order or some other law.
It usually helps to present the US passport when a US government employee -- in person or on a US government form -- asks a US citizen for their passport/passport details. That is what is most commonly suggested for those in your kind of circumstances. Unless you are a US citizen using a non-US passport to try to abscond from the US or otherwise violating a law with explicitly stipulated penalties, not much to worry about 8 USC 1185(b).

Unless you get a CBP gate-area/jet-bridge check just prior to your international flight from the US, it's highly unlikely that any CBP employee will insist on seeing your passport(s) when departing the US. The chances of even such CBP employee making a fuss about 8 USC 1185(b) even if you only provided non-US passport details to the airline when departing the US is highly unlikely as long as you show your US passport to the CBP employees doing those checks. The chances of the DOJ making a fuss over you doing what you do with your passports on departure from the US? I'd bet on them being way lower than the chances of being struck and killed by lightning.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 11, 2013 at 10:11 am
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:41 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1185
Technically, 8 USC 1185(b) says "it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport" (emphasis added).

I don't see a definition of "bears" in that portion of 8 USC, so the common meaning of "carries" should apply; if you have it with you (and, presumably, show it to CBP upon request) when departing the US you would seem to be in compliance whether or not it was the passport you showed the airline at check-in.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, and I'm certainly not your lawyer.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CKDGM
Technically, 8 USC 1185(b) says "it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport" (emphasis added).

I don't see a definition of "bears" in that portion of 8 USC, so the common meaning of "carries" should apply; if you have it with you (and, presumably, show it to CBP upon request) when departing the US you would seem to be in compliance whether or not it was the passport you showed the airline at check-in.
Sounds reasonable on the face of it (before getting into all the "exceptions" to that clause which aren't really exceptions). However, then what to make of the situation where a dual citizen of the US with a US and foreign passport in possession merely presents their non-US passport when dealing directly with CBP to enter or exit the country? The word has the same meaning in both contexts, that of exiting the US and that of entering the US.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You will be fine next time you enter. Do nothing in the meantime. Chances are you will raise a flag where one does not need to be raised.
Best advice by Silver Fox.
You will be fine, the sky is not falling.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:45 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Get an ESTA to get you on the plane, once you're in the US, explain to immigration. You'll be secondaried, questioned, but you'll be let in without problem.

Plan on a long layover if you are connecting.

I've done this returning from the British Virgin Islands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.