Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nayef
Copied from Xyzzy's post:

I think this sums up what to do pretty well:
  • Airline checkin in the US for departure to EU
    • Right now you can show either EU or US (but airline execs I know and have discussed this with suggest giving the airline your US passport).
    • In the future, when ETIAS comes into force, show the EU passport to the airline because the EU will require that data to be sent ahead of the flight.
    • re: the above two comments, it currently doesn't matter which you use from a US perspective. If you are a US citizen, departing the US on an EU passport you've not entered the US with is not going to cause any problems.
  • Immigration on arrival in the EU
    • Show the EU passport because you are a citizen and many/most countries require citizens to show their passports to enter.
  • Airline checkin in the EU for departure to the US
    • Show your US passport to the airline as the US requires you to enter on your US passport and APIS data sent ahead of the flight needs to contain your US data.
  • Immigration departing the EU
    • Show the EU passport that you entered the EU with. The fact that you gave a different passport to the airline will not cause any problem.
  • At the gate for a flight departing to the US: You may be asked to verify your travel documents at the gate before departure and so only show your US passport in this case.
  • Immigration arriving the US
    • Show the US passport you showed to the airline.
Print Wikipost

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:53 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That thread communicates a lot of fictions.
Maybe, but there have been cases of people born in the US who have been denied boarding by airlines because they didn't present a US passport, so it's a matter of possibly never getting to the port of entry, even if the CBP would admit them anyway...

I remembered that thread because I recalled reading this article here:
That’s it, Uncle Sam
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur
A Canadian citizen is under no legal obligation to enter Canada with a Canadian passport. It's generally in his best interests to do so, but there is no statutory requirement.
Thanks for the clarification. However, in light of this I have a question - if you know that an arriving passenger with a foreign passport is a Canadian citizen, what would you do? Admit him/her as a foreign visitor or a Canadian citizen? For the latter, does it require a trip to the "back room"?

Also, can you look up whether a person is a Canadian citizen just by name and DOB (maybe also gender)?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by König
Thanks for the clarification. However, in light of this I have a question - if you know that an arriving passenger with a foreign passport is a Canadian citizen, what would you do? Admit him/her as a foreign visitor or a Canadian citizen? For the latter, does it require a trip to the "back room"?
I'd have no choice but to admit him if he's Canadian. It may require a visit to the immigration secondary examination area if his claim to citizenship is in doubt. Whether I stamp his passport or not, if he's Canadian, he has the right to enter and remain here. I'll add that pointing out the fact that one's British passport lists his place of birth as "Scarborough" or even "Canada" does not, in and of itself, prove to me that he is Canadian.

Also, can you look up whether a person is a Canadian citizen just by name and DOB (maybe also gender)?
There are some helpful resources available, but they don't form a complete database of every citizen.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:09 pm

Thanks for all the replies. It is still a little unclear to me whether or not there is an explicit law stating that a British citizen must enter the UK with the British passport. Since my HK passport states HK as my place of birth, I am interested to know what would happen if I were to be denied entry... would the immigration officer know I am a British citizen based on the information on his screen?

To yyzvoyageur: Have you seen a decrease in illegitimate passports since they became biometric? The designs on pages seem to have become a lot more intricate, and it would lead one to believe that copying them isn't as easy as it may have been say 10 years ago.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:40 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by CX HK
Thanks for all the replies. It is still a little unclear to me whether or not there is an explicit law stating that a British citizen must enter the UK with the British passport.
Clear answer - you are 100% fine. People do this all the time - it is normal. No need to worry. If you cannot find a law then this will be because there isn't one.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:02 pm

To yyzvoyageur: Have you seen a decrease in illegitimate passports since they became biometric? The designs on pages seem to have become a lot more intricate, and it would lead one to believe that copying them isn't as easy as it may have been say 10 years ago.
Quality is definitely improving. I understand even the likes of India and Israel—both home to some of the poorest quality passports at the moment—are going to start rolling out more secure documents in the near future. Where we used to see photo substitutions, we now see more imposters on unaltered documents that have been stolen from or sold by the legitimate bearers. That's not to say we don't still see photo substitutions. We do still see them, of course, along with stolen blanks, improperly issued (but genuine) documents, altered or counterfeit laminates, altered or counterfeit biodata pages, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You're using anecdotes to support your claims now?

If you have an opinion on something, you're entitled to that, but don't hold your opinion out as fact unless you can back it up.
Anecdotal evidence is not opinion. Sufficient volume of anecdotal evidence provides for a claim on fact and routinely prevails as factual representative of the status quo absent evidence to the contrary.

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Maybe, but there have been cases of people born in the US who have been denied boarding by airlines because they didn't present a US passport, so it's a matter of possibly never getting to the port of entry, even if the CBP would admit them anyway...
Yes.

There are also situations where the US has treated US citizens as if such persons were not US persons or to otherwise try to keep US citizens outside of the US.

Have you seen a decrease in illegitimate passports since they became biometric?
Passports have been biometric for at least as long as passports have had photos of the person for whom the passport was issued.

The designs on pages seem to have become a lot more intricate, and it would lead one to believe that copying them isn't as easy as it may have been say 10 years ago.
The technology to produce higher quality fakes and/or have success in fraudulently acquiring or using real passports has improved -- and to do so has not become more costly in real terms. It's much like a game of cats and mice.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 12, 2023 at 1:18 pm Reason: Post-padding, merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:20 am

Quality is definitely improving. I understand even the likes of India and Israel—both home to some of the poorest quality passports at the moment—are going to start rolling out more secure documents in the near future. Where we used to see photo substitutions, we now see more imposters on unaltered documents that have been stolen from or sold by the legitimate bearers. That's not to say we don't still see photo substitutions. We do still see them, of course, along with stolen blanks, improperly issued (but genuine) documents, altered or counterfeit laminates, altered or counterfeit biodata pages, etc.
I would hope that quality is improving, given the fact that renewal prices have been increasing exponentially. I recently got a 48 page Hong Kong passport that cost HK$460; the 48 page equivalent of the United Kingdom passprt would have cost HK$2009 - over 4 times as expensive. But really, in both passports, it seems almost impossible to do the traditionally photo substitutions, given the fact that the photo is now embedded in the information page and other pages as well. The designs are also much nicer to look at ^
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:47 am

I'd have no choice but to admit him if he's Canadian. It may require a visit to the immigration secondary examination area if his claim to citizenship is in doubt. Whether I stamp his passport or not, if he's Canadian, he has the right to enter and remain here.
I think I have not formulated my question properly. Let's suppose an arriving person presents you a foreign passport but you have strong suspicions that this person is a Canadian citizen. However, person does not claim to be one and wants to enter Canada on his foreign passport. What would you do?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:58 am

I think I have not formulated my question properly. Let's suppose an arriving person presents you a foreign passport but you have strong suspicions that this person is a Canadian citizen. However, person does not claim to be one and wants to enter Canada on his foreign passport. What would you do?
I suppose I'd ask him if he's a Canadian citizen, then deal with him based on his answer.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:35 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
I know two dual Dutch - US citizens (US because they were born in the USA) who do not have US passports. When they visit the US on their Dutch passports, about 50% of the entries the immigration officer spots the US place of birth and asks for their US passport. So far, on many, many entries to the US, their reply "I never bothered to get one" was always accepted and they tell me in many cases the officers are much more friendly and they are welcomed "home" (even if they have lived only the first few years of their lifes in the US). So in practice not having a US passport does not seem to be a problem.
Those travelers are somewhat breaking the law if they don't say upfront that they are US Citizens.

I saw an Israeli passport recently-- all I have to say is wow. I guess they don't care about other countries as they can tell if their own passports are real since they have a database.

There are also situations where the US has treated US citizens as if such persons were not US persons or to otherwise try to keep US citizens outside of the US.
Like the NFL situations?

I suppose I'd ask him if he's a Canadian citizen, then deal with him based on his answer.
But a Canadian citizen could legally enter as a visitor?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
But a Canadian citizen could legally enter as a visitor?
If he's a citizen and I end up stamping his Polish passport, that stamp really doesn't mean much. He'd still have the right to remain in Canada indefinitely.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:08 pm

Anyone who had stood in the non-EU citizen line at Heathrow when they could go through the EU line needs to have their head examined or has way, way, way (did I say 'way') too much time on their hands. The only possible exception I could see would be if there was a reason you would not want your destination country to see your UK passport, (e.g. the UK one has Israeli stamps in it and you are going to Saudi Arabia).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:09 pm
formerly gohima

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Anyone who had stood in the non-EU citizen line at Heathrow when they could go through the EU line needs to have their head examined or has way, way, way (did I say 'way') too much time on their hands. The only possible exception I could see would be if there was a reason you would not want your destination country to see your UK passport, (e.g. the UK one has Israeli stamps in it and you are going to Saudi Arabia).
Which is a moot point (at least in the US) as they will issue you a second passport simply for entering the country that would deny you entry for an Israeli stamp. Certainly standing in the non-eu citizen line

The advice I have always heard is to make sure the airline is aware of both of your passports as passenger data is subject to pre-clearance.

I have yet to use my new EU passport to enter the EU so I cant speak on personal experience as a dual citizen.

Last edited by LAXJetter; Jul 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Exec Club, EK Skywards, Hilton Hhonors. No Mucci, but have a far more useful Gucci (wallet).
Canadian and US border control passport-checking clerks at airports are more capricious than the UK equivalent at airports.
I agree. Last time I flew into Toronto from Hong Kong, I got asked some dumb questions by the CBSA guy including whether my work related business visit to Hong Kong was 'fruitful'. As if the guy had a clue as to how to run any business let alone mine. And I am a dual Citizen, was presenting my Canadian Passport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.