Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How Many Banned Items Have You Gotten Past TSA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Many Banned Items Have You Gotten Past TSA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:27 pm

I accidentally brought a compressed air horn through once (flammable liquid). Forgot it in my bag after going to a sporting event.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: DL PM, QF, UA, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by LoyalToTheDollar
I accidentally brought a compressed air horn through once (flammable liquid). Forgot it in my bag after going to a sporting event.
I'm sorry, I know it's wrong, but I'm laughing so hard right now thinking about blowing an air horn in the confines of a plane.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Not TSA, but the only time I've ever had anything confiscated was flying from Japan to NZ. They took my ~$15 pocket knife with it's 2.5 inch blade. But it turned out they gave it to the crew in a sealed bag because I got it back at the end of the flight. They did not however, once they'd confirmed the export paperwork was fine, do anything about the custom made ~$5000 iaido sword that I was carrying. So, 2.5 inch mostly blunt pocket knife, bad. ~4 foot razor sharp sword, perfectly fine.

I love Japan.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
I collect coke bottles from all countries I visit. I had a bottle off coke that made it from Ecuador to Atlanta and home. On my next trip the water bottle I forgot about was taken in Atlanta
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Bigez747
I collect coke bottles from all countries I visit. I had a bottle off coke that made it from Ecuador to Atlanta and home. On my next trip the water bottle I forgot about was taken in Atlanta
Ironic.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Managed to get through with a half full Nalgene bottle about a year ago. Clerks must have been distracted by their workplace gossip while running the x-ray.

Earlier this year, I got back home and realized there were a couple live rounds in my bag. Had taken it to the range a week or two earlier- rounds had gotten stuck in a pocket at the bottom of the bag.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by CKizer
Big bottle of personal lubricant (well over 3oz) in carry on bag.
Just in case you get a secondary screening?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by DebBrown
I have "liquids" in the quart bag but never bother removing it from my backpack. I've never been questioned about it.

Deb
+1. I have two quart bags, never removed them, never been asked to. With pre-check it's now a non-issue.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by roberino
A dozen Kinder Surprise eggs.
That's a CPB issue, not a TSA issue, no?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by drewguy
That's a CPB issue, not a TSA issue, no?
Probably. The TSA seem to think that everything's their business though.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Ammunition mainly. Did get stopped for some flash bangs that were training versions, but they didn't seem to care. They did all take a step back when I yanked the pin to show them it wasn't going to actually go off.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thetaxman
Ammunition mainly. Did get stopped for some flash bangs that were training versions, but they didn't seem to care. They did all take a step back when I yanked the pin to show them it wasn't going to actually go off.
I don't think they're legal anyway--fake weapons are treated as real.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Paint pens containing solvents. I think they were TSA illegal. They certainly weren't in my liquid bag.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:46 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
The wife wisely removed the Sig Sauer from her purse. She neglected to take out the spare mag full of ammo however, and apparently they either missed it or didnt care.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:47 pm

Hmmm, can't think of anything in particular. Although after my switchblade style car key got a bit of extra scrutiny from TSA agents a few times, I feel like it's a victory now when I sufficiently hide my keys in my laptop bag and they don't see them.

Originally Posted by LabCat
I'm sorry, I know it's wrong, but I'm laughing so hard right now thinking about blowing an air horn in the confines of a plane.
Would definitely be hilarious if the suitcase shifted in the overhead turing takeoff or landing and the button got pushed down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.