Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Detained By CBP and They needed all my Passwords !! @ Miami

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Detained By CBP and They needed all my Passwords !! @ Miami

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
What a truly disgusting story. I hope the OP does some research to ascertain whether his name brings up a flag on somebody's "list". It's difficult to believe that American citizens can be treated this way by American agencies; is this what we have come to?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ahhodro2001
As I left the airplane, I noticed that CBP officers were following me. I asked my wife, and she said that I am just so paranoid !
They as we entered the lines for the passport control (mind you, I am a US citizen), 3 CBP agents approach us and asked us not to wait in line, but to follow them !!!
This is the part that throws me. Even assuming that you are on their list, how did they know that you are you? Do they have pictures of you and your wife on file for some reason?

As far as the speculation that it is because you are brown-skinned is concerned, that seems way off base to me. Brown-skinned people, both citizens and non-citizens, enter the US by the tens of thousands each day and this does not happen to them.

(When I fly into the States it is almost always from TLV and the flight is invariably full of people of all shades. Sephardi Jews have about the same skin color as Arabs (which is not far different from Sicilians) and they go through the CBP process as quickly as Swedish blonds.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dovster
This is the part that throws me. Even assuming that you are on their list, how did they know that you are you? Do they have pictures of you and your wife on file for some reason?
They have access to pictures of some people on some lists. Not everyone on USG blacklists or otherwise flagged with a photo accessible is targeted for a great reason -- some get flagged for one or more wrong reasons, including because of misidentifying targets, especially those with one or two names that are far from being unique.

Anti-brown-skin prejudice in combination with anti-muslim prejudice is alive and thriving in the US, including within the ranks of those on the payroll of the federal government. Do advocates of racist profiling generally have a problem with that kind of targeting being used by government employees working in "security" positions at airports?
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They have advance passenger information about everyone arriving, and if you are a US citizen I'm going to assume they have your passport photo or driver's license photo. The OP was on some sort or target or watch list, they identified him when he exited the plane, they asked him to come talk to them. I on't think there's any reason to suspect it's anti brown skin discrimination, plenty of browned skinned people arrive in the US every day and they go through regular passport control and are not pulled aside.
Old Feb 8, 2014, 8:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jphripjah
They have advance passenger information about everyone arriving, and if you are a US citizen I'm going to assume they have your passport photo or driver's license photo. The OP was on some sort or target or watch list, they identified him when he exited the plane, they asked him to come talk to them. I on't think there's any reason to suspect it's anti brown skin discrimination, plenty of browned skinned people arrive in the US every day and they go through regular passport control and are not pulled aside.
They don't always have every arriving passenger's arrival info -- most passengers' info, but not all -- as electronic systems aren't all perfect. It's led to gaps in my electronic records on file with the gov.

That most individuals of some ethnic minority backgrounds of some sort don't get hassled on return to the US does not mean that racist discrimination doesn't exist and isn't even systematic in some ways. Even racists can't harass every individual who is part of very large groups -- which is often why racists target a subset of their hated group(s) and exploit some opportunities more than others.

I expect that many racist profiling advocates are fans of downplaying the racism they advocate and otherwise practice or want practiced. The same would apply to those in the employ of the US federal government.

That said, there's nothing to make clear that this couldn't be a case of an out of whack ATS score or some other flag/blacklist on a basis largely independent of racist prejudice.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Originally Posted by judyserienagy
What a truly disgusting story. I hope the OP does some research to ascertain whether his name brings up a flag on somebody's "list". It's difficult to believe that American citizens can be treated this way by American agencies; is this what we have come to?
These sort of things had happened even before a guy spoke in front of the lincoln memorial having some illusions in his sleep or soemthing.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
It's beyond me why people keep everything on their computer. I have no delicate info in my laptop, and no passwords. (Except the password to get into the system.) All my delicate info is on a micro SD, which is the size of a finger nail, and can be hidden almost anywhere. I never had a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.