Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New Danish passports and ePassport gates in LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Elite

Hi all

I have had my DK passport for almost a year now, and since it is a biometric passport I should be able to use th ePassport gates at LHR. But I am yet to succeed passing through them - number of failed attempts can be counted in two digit figures. I was told my one of the immigration officers that this is a known problem with regards to the newest Danish passports. A colleague with a passport few years older than mine passes through the gates with a success rate of 100%, similar for another colleague with a brand new (3 months) SE passport. Anyone else having similar problems? Or is it just me who is unrecognizable on my "mugshot"?

Sorry for this not being directly related to Eurobonus, but this is more a Scandinavian issue than something related to UK/BA

Brgds
llunow
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by llunow
Hi all

I have had my DK passport for almost a year now, and since it is a biometric passport I should be able to use th ePassport gates at LHR. But I am yet to succeed passing through them - number of failed attempts can be counted in two digit figures. I was told my one of the immigration officers that this is a known problem with regards to the newest Danish passports. A colleague with a passport few years older than mine passes through the gates with a success rate of 100%, similar for another colleague with a brand new (3 months) SE passport. Anyone else having similar problems? Or is it just me who is unrecognizable on my "mugshot"?

Sorry for this not being directly related to Eurobonus, but this is more a Scandinavian issue than something related to UK/BA

Brgds
llunow
I haven´t been to the UK recently but was there 3-4 times last year (GLA, EDI and LHR). My success rate is zero when using the ePassport gates. I was told by one of the officers at one time, that this is due to the DK government not providing all/the correct info. I have no idea if this is correct or not.

I actually like the ePassport gates even if they don´t work because you can use this as a shortcut to bypass the lines for the manual immigration.

Svantevit
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:11 am

Hi all

Brgds
llunow
FWIW: I just got my new danish e-passport biometric and all last week, and passed through the e-channel at UK immigration without any issue - took 15 seconds and then I was cleared. So in my case the new passport worked beautifully.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
My experience with the epassport gates is about 50/50. Looking at the lines in general, it does seem that the system has its limitations, a lot of people are sent through to the manual check. Not just Danes, also UK citizens. Blaming the passports rather than the machines is probably a bit of being in denial.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Svantevit
I actually like the ePassport gates even if they don´t work because you can use this as a shortcut to bypass the lines for the manual immigration.
In my experience EU-lines hardly form and when they do are processed quickly
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBG, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Elite
Originally Posted by Svantevit
This is actually also my strategy, since from my experience the ePassport line is often significantly shorter than the EU line.

I gave it another try in T3 yesterday, and yet again: no luck. Asking one of the immigration agents once I was forwrded to manual check, he told that it is a known issue with Danish passports which only have a success rate of 50%. He couldn't say anything about the cause though, since no clear pattern could be seen.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hi all
Sadly the EB forum is meant to talk things EB and SAS, so I'll move this to TS/S.

Regards Oliver2002
Senior Mods
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: SAS
Recently I arrived at LHR one late afternoon on an ANA flight from NRT.The immigration hall was completely packed with ever more people lining up in the hallways.
But since I had been given a pass for the priority line at immigration I considered myself lucky and expected to be through in minutes. In fact it took over an hour !!

Next time I will definitely give the e-pass a try, whether it works or not !
Old Oct 16, 2013, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by cph_flyer
But since I had been given a pass for the priority line at immigration I considered myself lucky and expected to be through in minutes. In fact it took over an hour !!
Isn't that for non-EU passport holders? That would also explain the slowness, as usually more questions are asked there, than the nod or "welcome" in the EU line.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 5:31 am

Asking one of the immigration agents once I was forwrded to manual check, he told that it is a known issue with Danish passports which only have a success rate of 50%. He couldn't say anything about the cause though, since no clear pattern could be seen.
I had about the same success rate with my (other, non-Danish) EU passport (back when I still traveled to the UK by air). So maybe it's more a machine than a passport problem...
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: EuroBonus
Hi all

Brgds
llunow
My success rate with e-booths at Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead are 0 out of 10 (since april).

But the by-pass officer reads the chip no problem, so I keep thinking I'm not holding the passport right on the reader. If this is the case, think how much time they could save in the long run by helping us get it right...

The e-booths lines at Stanstead can still take over 30 min.

DanishFlyer
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: ABBA
Neither of my passports work in the e passport machines. The chip is fine, no satisfactory answer given, no idea how to fix it. Both filling up so hopefully the replacement ones will work.

Since iris shut it's a right pain.

The e passports are a con, they still require 2 immigration officials, are slower than a manual check, and need a baa person to man them too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.