Community
Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. Preclearance at Dublin Airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:29 am

I just returned from Dublin a few weeks ago. My flight was DUB-JFK-CVG on Delta. I did go through pre-clearance. Im glad I got to the airport three hours early. There was quite a bit more time on the ground in the DUB airport than I would have expected. This paid off upon arrival when there was no need to go through customs again. One thing to be aware of is that there will be no duty free shopping on board if your flight had gone through pre-clearance so keep that in mind if you are a shopper.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 11:51 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
AA DUB-ORD two years ago had pre-clearance. As an aside, it was a complete mess and we almost missed our flight because the lines were so long. A couple factors at play:
1. Bad weather had delayed a lot of arriving planes from the US and, consequently, bunched up a ton of US departures.
2. My recollection is that there was some chatter re. fewer agents working because most had been scheduled for earlier in the day. (In other words, agents' shifts are scheduled according to *scheduled* departure times, not actual departure times.)
3. It was the 4th of July, so there may have been some extra screening.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Also confirming the AA DUB-ORD flight has it. I went through it 2 years ago, and yes, it did take a little longer than normal. I got to the airport around 6:45 for the 10AM flight and only had <30 minutes to spare.

I'll be passing thru here again next week, this time with Global Entry. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LikeVines
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the preclearance at Dublin airports. I understand that flights arriving at certain US destinations/airports are precleared in Dublin, but not ALL US destinations. For which US airports will there be preclearance?

Thanks!
There are quite a few threads on this topic.
Pre-clearance at DUB is not determined by your destination, but by the timing of your flight. A couple of the later-in-the-day flights don't qualify as the CPB facility is closed.
All the morning flights on EI, AA, DL, US, UA (JFK, BOS, ORD, ATL, PHL, EWR, IAD) are pre-cleared. Once you arrive in the US, your flight parks at a domestic gate and you disembark and head on your merry way.
There is also pre-clearance at SNN for EI flights, as well as BA's Openskies (LCY-SNN-JFK)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484-5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nce-today.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ng-flight.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...clearance.html
Old Oct 11, 2013, 4:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Also confirming the AA DUB-ORD flight has it. I went through it 2 years ago, and yes, it did take a little longer than normal. I got to the airport around 6:45 for the 10AM flight and only had <30 minutes to spare.

I'll be passing thru here again next week, this time with Global Entry. Will be interesting to see how it goes.
Without Global Access/Entry, the lines can be quite long, particularly in the morning as there several flights departing within an hour or two of each other.
With GA you will find the process much quicker.
On more than one occasion, I've checked in and been through security and pre-clearance (with Global Access/Entry) in 35 mins (not counting 20 mins in Duty Free and/or having an espresso in the main T2 departures area).
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There are quite a few threads on this topic.
Pre-clearance at DUB is not determined by your destination, but by the timing of your flight. A couple of the later-in-the-day flights don't qualify as the CPB facility is closed.
All the morning flights on EI, AA, DL, US, UA (JFK, BOS, ORD, ATL, PHL, EWR, IAD) are pre-cleared. Once you arrive in the US, your flight parks at a domestic gate and you disembark and head on your merry way.
There is also pre-clearance at SNN for EI flights, as well as BA's Openskies (LCY-SNN-JFK)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-ireland-484-5.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...nce-today.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ng-flight.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aer-l...clearance.html

Is that true about the morning flights? I read on the Aer Lingus website Boston flights don't go through pre-clearance?

I'm flying out to Boston through Dublin on the 15th November on a K1 visa. Does anyone know which flights will go through pre clearance after 26th October? (Aer Lingus website only gives schedule between March and October) As I'd like to give myself plenty of time to get through if needed!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by supersonic1
Is that true about the morning flights? I read on the Aer Lingus website Boston flights don't go through pre-clearance?

I'm flying out to Boston through Dublin on the 15th November on a K1 visa. Does anyone know which flights will go through pre clearance after 26th October? (Aer Lingus website only gives schedule between March and October) As I'd like to give myself plenty of time to get through if needed!
Not sure what you're reading?
Did you look at this?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 8:37 am

I'm sure that little paragraph at the top wasn't there the last time I looked! Thanks for pointing that out!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
We flew home from Dublin on Saturday. We were pre-cleared on American (ORD). While we were there, I heard announcements for Delta and USAirways for USPC flights. I believe Aer Lingus does not participate.

There is an additional security screening for USPC since you will be a domestic passenger upon arrival. They check 'large electronics' and carry-on bags but you don't have to do the air strip.
Old Oct 13, 2013, 5:50 pm

It's annoying that the preclearance time is so variable but every time I've done it it's actually taken only about 10 minutes and the second security station is pretty quick too. I always end up with an hour in the precleared area with nothing to do. At least it's pretty quiet.

Actually 35 minutes is a pretty good estimate for how long it usually takes from the taxi (if I'm not checking bags) to the precleared area even *without* GE. The only problem is of course that all it takes is a small pileup at security or needing to check a bag and finding a big queue at checkin or preclearance being backed up to cause that to go up to 2 hours. But it's never actually happened to me.

I also find the CBP agents are more efficient and are looking to make less trouble than the ones at US airports. Even when I said I was between jobs and going to an industry conference the agent didn't raise an eyebrow -- that would never have passed muster arriving in the US.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
We flew home from Dublin on Saturday. We were pre-cleared on American (ORD). While we were there, I heard announcements for Delta and USAirways for USPC flights. I believe Aer Lingus does not participate.

There is an additional security screening for USPC since you will be a domestic passenger upon arrival. They check 'large electronics' and carry-on bags but you don't have to do the air strip.
I bolded the grossly erroneous part of your post.
If you'd read post #9 above you'd see EI most certainly does participate - it has flights to JFK, BOS, ORD.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 14, 2013 at 7:37 am Reason: added "if you'd read ..."
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Just came through here last week. There was a sign that a few EI flights did not use USPC, but everything else did.

With Global entry, start to finish for USPC was < 10 minutes.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
All EI flights use preclearance effective October 27th.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 7:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
All EI flights use preclearance effective October 27th.
Already noted in post #10.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this but I'm flying RyanAir from MAN-DUB (arrive 9AM) and continuing on Delta as a non-rev DUB-JFK (depart 11:15AM). I have Global Entry.

Is 2 hours 15 minutes sufficient? Or should I look into booking my RyanAir flight the night before and getting a hotel. I'd prefer not to do that as it's an extra $100+...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.