Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on spoons, forks, ice cream scoopers?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know for domestic US flights, can you carry on
1) spoons?
2) forks?
3) ice cream scoopers?

Metal or metal with plastic handle, make a difference?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Spoons and ice cream scoops no issue. Forks should be allowed, so long as they aren't those BBQ forks, but you may get a crazy TSA agent. Just be calm and ask for a supervisor.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Redhead
Spoons and ice cream scoops no issue. Forks should be allowed, so long as they aren't those BBQ forks, but you may get a crazy TSA agent. Just be calm and ask for a supervisor.
Forks are pointy. Pointy is scary (except pens and pencils, of course). Scary is prohibited.

Forks are not mentioned specifically in the prohibited items list, but then they are not specifically mentioned in the permitted items list, either. They are very commonly prohibited by individual TSOs who are exercising the "discretion" that TSA allows them.

And if you think asking for a supervisor will help much, you're probably tilting at windmills; STSOs very, very seldom fail to back up a TSO, no matter how stupid or abusive the TSOs decision might be, and no matter how much the decision might violate TSA SOP.

Spoons and ice cream scoops should be okay, but I'd say you have at best a 50-50 chance of getting a fork through TSA without forced voluntary surrender.

Metal or plastic handles won't make any difference.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum

Querying the TSA app for forks and forks and spoons results in a permitted item. Knife does not. Snow globe does not.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:11 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For more discussion, I'll move this to the apt travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 8rulos
Querying the TSA app for forks and forks and spoons results in a permitted item. Knife does not. Snow globe does not.
Right! If he want to bring forks, spoons or ice cream scoops. Knife is not allowed beyond at checkpoint. If you want to placed them into checked bag. That's your choice.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've brought plastic knives, forks, and spoons with no trouble, forks and spoons more times than knives. I've never had a problem, even when I have the plastic silverware in a baggie and put it in the bin with my liquids baggie. I've also brought this stuff though precheck without questions.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wonderboy
Does anyone know for domestic US flights, can you carry on
1) spoons?
2) forks?
3) ice cream scoopers?

Metal or metal with plastic handle, make a difference?
Yes, yes, and yes.

And no problem for me, plastic handle or not.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Last week I cleaned out some of the extra "stuff" I tend to accumulate in my rollaboard. I had something like half a dozen of those plastic knife / fork / spoon / napkin packs.

Sometimes when my bag is getting a secondary, the TSA employee will ask if there's "anything sharp in here I should know about", parroting a line from last night's episode of COPS.

My answer is "Yes, so you should very careful!" They're not used to that kind of answer, so while they're processing that bit of information I just gave them I'll continue by saying "Specialty dental toothpicks, plastic forks, plastic knives, disposable razors..."

Nothing ever comes of it.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Anyone have personal experience carrying metal camping utensils? https://www.rei.com/product/116134/g...ss-cutlery-set

On this set in particular, the serration looks fierce, but if it had the dullness of an airline meal knife, I wouldn't be so hesitant. Years ago, at the end of NWA's run, I took a set of NW utensils (with the F FA's blessing) on my outbound. While waiting in security line for my flight back, I remembered the set was in my backpack and called a TSO over. I explained why I had them, they inspected them, and waved me through.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
No personal experience, however, I doubt that the knife in this set meets the exception to the TSA prohibition on knives:
Knives

Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: Yes

Except for plastic or round bladed butter knives.

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by boxo
Anyone have personal experience carrying metal camping utensils? https://www.rei.com/product/116134/g...ss-cutlery-set

On this set in particular, the serration looks fierce, but if it had the dullness of an airline meal knife, I wouldn't be so hesitant. Years ago, at the end of NWA's run, I took a set of NW utensils (with the F FA's blessing) on my outbound. While waiting in security line for my flight back, I remembered the set was in my backpack and called a TSO over. I explained why I had them, they inspected them, and waved me through.
I doubt that one will go thru with that knife. I do carry a full set of utensils for 2 including steak knives in my checked bag but wanted something for bringing on the plane for eating lunch. I ordered this one from Amazon:
Amazon Amazon

I replaced the knife with a small spreader-type thing (think spreading cheese on a cracker type). Once in a great while some screener will ask someone else if that is ok to go through and they always say yes since the blade part is under 3 inches and no seration. Case makes it easy to find in my tote bag and keeps them clean.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Security screeners in Australia once confiscated my spork
boxo likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by NHGail
I doubt that one will go thru with that knife. I do carry a full set of utensils for 2 including steak knives in my checked bag but wanted something for bringing on the plane for eating lunch. I ordered this one from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07794G36W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the knife with a small spreader-type thing (think spreading cheese on a cracker type). Once in a great while some screener will ask someone else if that is ok to go through and they always say yes since the blade part is under 3 inches and no seration. Case makes it easy to find in my tote bag and keeps them clean.
Thanks for sharing. Your set looks bigger and heavier than I want. The fruit fork looks really pokey. Does it pass TSA?

I looked at bamboo sets. They'd be nice and light, but as far as I can tell reading reviews, they eventually break or splinter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.