Multiple flights and two passports

Old Aug 2, 13, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Multiple flights and two passports

Hi, I'm sure this has come up before, so please correct me if I haven't found the right thread.

It has been some years since I went on a multi-country, multi-flight trip, which I am planning later this year. I've booked the flights but not put any passport information in yet (for APIS). I have two passports (dual nationality) and will be using both in the course of the trip.

I understand when to use which passport, but my question is to do with checking in. I presume when I go to check in for the first flight--online--that passport information gets associated with all subsequent flights? Is there any issue with one passport's information being on the booking, when I come to the flight where I'll be checking in with passport #2?
Old Aug 2, 13, 11:30 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
The passport information you enter can be changed when you check-in during subsequent flights at the check-in counters.

I think your first flight out of the US should be the US passport (assuming visa free entry at destination). There's a thread on the US State website stating that dual nationals must depart/enter US on their US passports.
Old Aug 8, 13, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you, seawolf. That's what I'll do.
Old Aug 8, 13, 7:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
The passport information you enter can be changed when you check-in during subsequent flights at the check-in counters.

I think your first flight out of the US should be the US passport (assuming visa free entry at destination). There's a thread on the US State website stating that dual nationals must depart/enter US on their US passports.
For those looking in the future

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1753.html

Second to last paragraph

Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

Note, that while this was cut and pasted today it can possibly change in the future, so please don't take anything you read here as being more current that future updates at the state department website, search for dual nationality to find the current info over there.
Old Aug 8, 13, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post

Is the OP a US dual-citizen?

It is indeed best to exit the country using the passport which was used to enter the country. Just as it is best to enter the country using the passport which will be used to exit the country. While some circumstances may change the ability or desirability of doing that stated earlier in this paragraph or elsewhere in this thread, alternatives may also work lawfully under a variety of circumstances.

Don't necessarily take everything on a government website or presented as a stand-alone legal reference in statute or CFR as generally representative of the entire body law applicable to entry or exit. A lot of things presented by or on behalf of government are oversimplifications presented so as to make life easier for one or more involved parties rather than a presentation of what all is lawfully allowed .... without court-sentenced punishment. Government websites are often dumbed down to make oversimplified representations, and this is an area where that is the case too.
Old Aug 9, 13, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks, cordelli and GUWonder for your help.

In fact I am a dual US-Canadian citizen, though I didn't make that clear in my OP. I always enter and exit the US on my US passport. What I haven't done is what I'm planning now, a multiple-country trip involving the US but also other countries where I'm using my Canadian passport. I wasn't sure how much hassle it would be to put the details of one in when I first check in, then pull out the other passport for subsequent flights. But it sounds like the check-in clerk can change it with no more hassle than I usually experience (I always try OLCI but it often does not work for me!)
Old Aug 9, 13, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
I regularly travel with two passports - I use the US passport to leave/re-enter the US and the Canadian passport to enter/leave the countries on my itinerary, sometimes sprinkling in the US passport depending on the destination or what stamps I want to collect. This almost never corresponds to the passport that is inputed to my PNR and transmitted to the next country (except for the US passport re-entering the US or exiting the US).
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Thank you. It sounds like which passport is input is less important than what is actually presented at the border. Since my passports are valid, mine, and have the same details on them (name, dob), I won't worry!
Old Aug 13, 13, 9:10 am
mkt

Programs: AA lt PLT; B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
I regularly travel with two passports - I use the US passport to leave/re-enter the US and the Canadian passport to enter/leave the countries on my itinerary, sometimes sprinkling in the US passport depending on the destination or what stamps I want to collect. This almost never corresponds to the passport that is inputed to my PNR and transmitted to the next country (except for the US passport re-entering the US or exiting the US).
Same way for me with my US/EU passports, except when EU gives me a free visa. When I went to Brazil, my US passport was kept in my pocket through the entire check-in process.
Old Aug 16, 13, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Since my AUS passport is nearly full and still has 5 years to run I've taken to using my UK passport for all my trips now. So I show that at check-in in Australia but show my AUS passport at immigration.

Only issue I've had is flying direct from the US to AUS because I entered on my UK passport I had to be shown to have left on the same passport; however they needed to enter my AUS passport details to show that I was eligible to enter the country.

Last time it took UA about an hour to sort it out however when I've done the same with QF they've obviously been through the process many times before and were able to sort it out straight away.

So that's my only two cents worth about it!
Old Aug 16, 13, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you, jozdemir.
I guess it pays to show up at the airport early!
Old Jul 30, 18, 10:49 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi guys, confused what to do in this scenario. I have Philippine and Candian Passports. Countries visiting: South Africa/Zimbabwe/Zambia

- Travelling to South Africa from the Philippines I will be using my Canadian Passport.
- in SA check in counter flight to Zimbabwe, will be using my Canadian passport to check-in.
- SA exit immigration will be using Canadian Passport (as used this passport for entering SA)
- Arrive Zimbabwe using my Philippine passport (as it has the zimbabwe visa). Same as for Zambia

Now question is, will I have any problems at Zimbabwe border as I used my Canadian Passport for checking in while in SA but using my Philippine passport at Zimbabwe border?

Reason for not using philippine passport while checking in at SA for flight to Zimbabwe is because on the return flight, my Philippine passport doesn't have an SA visa.

Wouldn't the airline send passenger manifest to Zimbabwe immigration authorities that I checked in using my Canadian passport?

Whats the correct way for doing this?
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
Hi guys, confused what to do in this scenario. I have Philippine and Candian Passports. Countries visiting: South Africa/Zimbabwe/Zambia

- Travelling to South Africa from the Philippines I will be using my Canadian Passport.
- in SA check in counter flight to Zimbabwe, will be using my Canadian passport to check-in.
- SA exit immigration will be using Canadian Passport (as used this passport for entering SA)
- Arrive Zimbabwe using my Philippine passport (as it has the zimbabwe visa). Same as for Zambia

Now question is, will I have any problems at Zimbabwe border as I used my Canadian Passport for checking in while in SA but using my Philippine passport at Zimbabwe border?

Reason for not using philippine passport while checking in at SA for flight to Zimbabwe is because on the return flight, my Philippine passport doesn't have an SA visa.

Wouldn't the airline send passenger manifest to Zimbabwe immigration authorities that I checked in using my Canadian passport?

Whats the correct way for doing this?
What you show the airline for check-in doesn't need to match what you show immigration inspectors - but the passport you enter with and exit with if a country has exit controls, needs to match. You can show the airline agents anything you want, and whatever they send to the govt is really not your problem and doesn't need to match.
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:33 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
What you show the airline for check-in doesn't need to match what you show immigration inspectors - but the passport you enter with and exit with if a country has exit controls, needs to match. You can show the airline agents anything you want, and whatever they send to the govt is really not your problem and doesn't need to match.
So with my plan, am I doing it right?

thanks!
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supatight80 View Post
So with my plan, am I doing it right?

thanks!
Yes, just use the same passport to enter/exit the country you're visiting and if necessary, to show the airline you have a valid visa to enter that country.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: