Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Pre-Check stand-alone applications coming this fall

Old Jul 19, 13, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, WN, Marriott, SPG, Hertz, Global Entry

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...tsa-precheck-0

Looks like you might not have to jump through the GE/Sentri/Nexus hoops for Pre-Check pretty soon. $85 to apply, although really you might as well just chip in the extra $15 and get the whole GE package if you do any international travel.
Old Jul 19, 13, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I was just about to post something on this.

The million dollar question I have is will this work if you're flying a non-PreCheck airline like WN or will you be limited to the PreCheck carriers?

Hopefully the riff raff doesn't start populating the PreCheck lanes though. Went through it yesterday at LAX and had to wait for someone to disassemble their stroller. Lots of other people kept trying to jump into the lane while the very patient (and nice) TSO kept herding them away.
Old Jul 19, 13, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, WN, Marriott, SPG, Hertz, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tusphotog View Post
I was just about to post something on this.

The million dollar question I have is will this work if you're flying a non-PreCheck airline like WN or will you be limited to the PreCheck carriers?

Hopefully the riff raff doesn't start populating the PreCheck lanes though. Went through it yesterday at LAX and had to wait for someone to disassemble their stroller. Lots of other people kept trying to jump into the lane while the very patient (and nice) TSO kept herding them away.
My understanding is that your approval for Pre-Check (since it's still explicitly not guaranteed to get you in the fast lane because unpredictability, keeping the terrorists on their toes, etc., etc.) is integrated into your ticket, and when it's scanned you should only then find out if you have the all-clear to use the lane. In that case WN flyers are still stuck in the standard lines (unless they're A-List) and the standard security lanes.

There's talk of WN rolling out some form of Pre-Check later this year, which I'd love to see because my company flies WN almost exclusively and SAN is pretty big for WN. Fingers crossed, anyway.
Old Jul 19, 13, 3:36 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by supraphonic View Post
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...tsa-precheck-0

Looks like you might not have to jump through the GE/Sentri/Nexus hoops for Pre-Check pretty soon. $85 to apply, although really you might as well just chip in the extra $15 and get the whole GE package if you do any international travel.
About the only reason to sign up for this as opposed to Global Entry are those who don't have a passport and don't want to get one.
Old Jul 19, 13, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by dustman81 View Post
About the only reason to sign up for this as opposed to Global Entry are those who don't have a passport and don't want to get one.
... or if you're like me and were denied GE for some unfathomable reason! My partner was denied too. We're both flummoxed, but we mostly wanted it for Pre-check, so as long as this new process works, we'll be fine.
Old Jul 19, 13, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Also being discussed over here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...k-all-fee.html
Old Jul 19, 13, 7:32 pm
Used to be "MariaP"

deleted.

Last edited by wave goodbye; Aug 24, 13 at 6:42 am
Old Jul 19, 13, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MariaP View Post
Someone please help me understand this.

I fly once or twice a month standby on Southwest out of BWI. I get that precheck wouldn't help me as I leave BWI because it is only on pier D and Southwest flies out of A,B & C with no connection with pier D airside.

But, would precheck help me when returning home from, let us say, MCO? Remember, I am standby so when I reach TSA I only have a security document, not a boarding pass.
Southwest does not participate in Precheck at all, at any airport. So, it would not do you any good to sign up.
Old Jul 19, 13, 7:51 pm
Used to be "MariaP"

deleted

Last edited by wave goodbye; Aug 24, 13 at 8:42 pm
Old Jul 19, 13, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Requires fingerprinting? No thanks.
Old Jul 20, 13, 4:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
Requires fingerprinting? No thanks.
I would have had serious reservations about NEXUS had the government not had my fingerprints on file already.
Old Jul 20, 13, 4:56 am
Used to be "MariaP"

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
I would have had serious reservations about NEXUS had the government not had my fingerprints on file already.
yeah, already on file for adoption and again for a carry permit.
Old Jul 20, 13, 7:01 am

So, if you are precheck, it shows up as a mark on your boarding pass?
On certain airlines, it will. There are rumors that Southwest will join Pre, but as of right now, all Southwest passengers have to go through standard security screening.
Old Jul 20, 13, 1:30 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Same.
Old Jul 20, 13, 3:18 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
yeah, already on file for adoption and again for a carry permit.
Me too. I'm on file from a job in securities a long time ago, so I went with it for Global Entry.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: