Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going overseas for the first time in 18 years

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Going overseas for the first time in 18 years

Hi, I'm planning to visit Hong Kong this December and so I'm seeking advice to make my trip safe and happy. First of all, what document should I bring apart from passport and airline ticket ? Is it necessary to bring photocopies of passport and airline tickets ? Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 am

Programs: BA
It's not necessary to take photocopies of anything. If you do feel the need, then make sure you keep them separate in your hand baggage to the originals, as pointless if somebody manages to steel both.

I keep scanned in copies of my passport, DL and itineraries on DropBox so I can access it from my phone or any PC anywhere in the world.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Is it a good idea to carry passport with me all the time ?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Sky Miles, Air Tran A+
Generally, in Hong Kong I only carry a photocopy of my passport with me, and leave the original in the hotel safe. (Well, actually the room safe.) You might need the original if you are going to exchange some money. (NB -- I am speaking only from my experiences there, not from any specific legal knowledge.)

Last edited by ladytraveler; Jun 18, 2013 at 10:12 am Reason: revise wording
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I travel with a copy of my passport photo page. Not for any ID purposes but in case my passport gets lost/stolen.

It has never happened to me but I have read that it makes getting a replacement easier at the embassy or consulate.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
HKG is a great place to visit, especially in December with the festive holiday deco's - just keep a copy of your passport with you when you go out - and take along a driver's license or gov't photo ID from home. Lock the passport in the hotel (front desk will have free safe deposit boxes for use if not provided in the room.)

In practice, HK police is not known for stopping non-Chinese foreigners on the street these days, especially with so many mainlanders running around - unless you get stopped for jaywalking, crossing the streets against traffic lights, etc.

P.S. If you plan to go a bank to exchange Aus $$ into local HKD, passport is requested - money exchanges near our hotel in Kowloon did not.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jun 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I've never carried my passport with me in Hong Kong or Macau.. I carry my wallet with US drivers license and I have had to show it on occasion in various places to verify age but have had no problems. The only place I can recall where I carried it with me all the time was in Dubai..probably wasn't necessary there but I did it anyway.

Back in 2003 while visiting Rio De Janeiro for Carnival I was in a taxi late at night and the driver didn't know where he was going so we stopped and asked a couple of police officers for directions. I had been drinking and was slurring my words and they asked me to get out of the car, checked my ID and searched my pockets..looking for drugs no doubt... I had nothing illegal. I only had my Washington state drivers license which they accepted no problem. At the end the cab driver told me to tip the officers so I gave them the equivalent of about $10. Was great giving a tip for the privilege of having someone dig through my pockets and pat me down. Next the TSA will expect tips.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Next the TSA will expect tips.
No, it's OK, they already help themselves to your stuff.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
It's not necessary to take photocopies of anything. If you do feel the need, then make sure you keep them separate in your hand baggage to the originals, as pointless if somebody manages to steel both.

I keep scanned in copies of my passport, DL and itineraries on DropBox so I can access it from my phone or any PC anywhere in the world.

Enjoy your trip!
Yup. Your scanned copies should be online so they can't be lost/stolen.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Asmonaut
Is it a good idea to carry passport with me all the time ?
Yes. It is a good idea to carry your passport (NOT a photo copy) with you at all times while in any foreign country. Photo copies are a good thing to have in your bags and hotel room safe should you need a replacement passport.

Last edited by Badenoch; Jun 22, 2013 at 7:07 am
Old Jun 22, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My passport is too big to carry in my pocket so I just have a picture of my ID page on my iphone (and also the cloud).

OP, you will need a passport if you take the boat from Hong Kong to Macau.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't plan to visit Macau during this trip.

This link was useful to me. Every foreign passenger has to show passport and a completed arrival card. Is it still current ?
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...rocedures.html
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:11 am

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Badenoch above is correct. I always carry my passport when away from my home country. I also have a photocopy of my passport and all credit cards, with the phone numbers to call in case of loss or theft. Make sure to keep the photocopy in a secure place: room or front desk safe.

Be sure to take the credit card you bought your air tickets with, some airlines require you to show that card when you check in. If you don't have the same card, they make you buy a new ticket!

Get a Pacsafe or Eagle Creek neck wallet and keep your valuables under your clothing. I wear a neck wallet cross-body under a jacket or shirt. My husband has an Eagle Creek wallet with loops that you thread a belt through, the wallet goes inside your pants but it's readily accessible - wear it at your side seam inside the pants.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Would that credit card purchase get refunded if you were to buy another ticket ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.