Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

My 11 year old scanned at ORD without my permission.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 5:39 am
Original Poster

We flew out of Chicago ohare this morning at 430am. It was not busy. As I was removing my shoes the TSA lady had my 11 year old go through the scanner without asking me. As I placed my shoes in the bin he was already inside. I asked why did she do it she replied there is no other machine. I told her I would have opted out for him. I went through it , I am concerned for my child. I think it was the new machines. It was round and had a picture of two yellow feet on the floor. It took less than 3 seconds . Any thoughts ? Thanks
Old May 26, 2013, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bettysuethomas
We flew out of Chicago ohare this morning at 430am. It was not busy. As I was removing my shoes the TSA lady had my 11 year old go through the scanner without asking me. As I placed my shoes in the bin he was already inside. I asked why did she do it she replied there is no other machine. I told her I would have opted out for him. I went through it , I am concerned for my child. I think it was the new machines. It was round and had a picture of two yellow feet on the floor. It took less than 3 seconds . Any thoughts ? Thanks
I am completely perplexed. What are you concerned about?
Old May 26, 2013, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Move on. If this was a concern, you raise it to the Officer before it happens or instruct your child before you enter the checkpoint. You can't unscramble an egg. But, you have a lesson for the next time.
Old May 26, 2013, 6:50 am

Bad News: You can't undo it.

Good News: It was almost certainly a MMW machine, which isn't great, but loads better than the 2-panel backscatter XRay machines.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Thank You Mike220, they made me feel bad for being a concerned parent, what a world we live in...when a parent asks other HUMANS for a bit of feedback and gets rude and obnoxious replies is just sad. I was hoping to hear from other parents or mature adults that may have some insight. Thanks to all.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:08 am

Thank You Mike220, they made me feel bad for being a concerned parent, what a world we live in...when a parent asks other HUMANS for a bit of feedback and gets rude and obnoxious replies is just sad. I was hoping to hear from other parents or mature adults that may have some insight. Thanks to all.
What kind of feedback would you like? Do you want to know if they MMW machine is safe? Or do you want people to join in with you complaining about the TSA?

Edit:
This pretty much tells me all I need to know. If people don't exhibit an outpouring of support, we hate children, women, small animals and possibly America.

RTW1 your comment is not funny and I really feel bad for you and any other that can't understand the love of a parent that did not get a chance to protect their child from TSA.
People like you either don't have kids or care for heir kids...or most likely was not loved by your parents...I am sorry you forced me to get to your level. sad world...why am I surprised this is the same world that doesn't care about women and children

Last edited by mr_edward_p; May 26, 2013 at 7:31 am
Old May 26, 2013, 7:14 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
As noted I was taking off my shoes when she directed him in, not even asking me. I was hoping someone would have some feedback to the safety issues. I was not seeking to be insulted or provided cliches. I also thought kids did not have to go through the scanners. I have been reading on it now and getting so many conflicting stories. Typically people here on flyertalk provide good feedback and not such snooty replies , I am so sorry I asked.
GOD bless
Better to post TSA-related stuff in this forum where you will likely get more meaningful information and discussion. Snooty replies are generally given short shrift there.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

I give my child the preventive shots every year , I fully agree with enhanced security and as noted I personally do not mind the scanners at 44, if you read my post I AM CONCERNED FOR MY 11 yr OLD WHO I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO STOP FROM BIENG SCANNED!! I was hoping someone had some insight as to the safety concerns and the age limit if any . That simple stop beating me up! shame on the ones that have replied in a bad and insulting manner!
Old May 26, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if you read my post I AM CONCERNED FOR MY 11 yr OLD WHO I DID NOT GET A CHANCE TO STOP FROM BIENG SCANNED!! I was hoping someone had some insight as to the safety concerns and the age limit if any . That simple stop beating me up! shame on the ones that have replied in a bad and insulting manner!

why did you not warn the kid. 11 is aware. tell him to run next time they try to scan him. what is wrong with tsa scanning an 11yo. jennie mcarthie or whatever her name is say it fry the kid? i am very fearful of nut cases carrying loaded guns on board. i have 4 guns, by the by. all are loaded. i have fired 2 of them yesterday. i do not try to sneak them by tsa, and i do not carry them on airplanes.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That simple stop beating me up! shame on the ones that have replied in a bad and insulting manner!
So now it's us who are to blame. If you feel so strongly about those scanners, take more care to see what your child is doing when you are near them. Or instruct your child no to go through the scanners...... but please don't blame others.

Your first post really was "any thoughts?". And you got those..... you probably came here just to ask if we also felt that the TSA should be blamed, or did you?
What other reactions could you possibly have gotten for an event that simply cannot be undone?
Old May 26, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
My 11 year old scanned without my permission help please

An 11 year old should be old enough to get your attention if TSA officer is directing him to proceed without you. If you stop screaming about how the TSA didn't ask your permission you might get more sympathy.

The first two answers to your post weren't snotty but your response sure was!

That said, the scanners aren't a major concern for infrequent travelers (which you and your child appear to be). As to any safety concerns you may have, there is nothing that can be done in retrospect. Perhaps in the future refuse to allow your child to fly to avoid similar outbursts on your part?
Old May 26, 2013, 8:10 am

If you were/are so scared of the machines why wouldn't you tell your child to opt out or wait for you? This is nothing to get all worked up about. Let it go and calm down. You posted on a forum and people are just responding.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
What sort of help or thoughts were you looking for? You can't go back and undo it. Next time, tell your kid to say "I opt out".
Old May 26, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
The people on this board are not experts on radiation exposure. Why are you not doing your own research online? If you are so concerned about your 11 year old child, why are you allowing him to fly at all? The amount of radiation exposure while in the air is much, much greater than he can possibly get standing 5 seconds in a machine. You would know that if you had done a little bit of your own research.
Old May 26, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
It sounds like this is essentially a one time thing for y'all. The particles your child was exposed to are designed to only penetrate his clothing not his entire body. His exposure to radiation was minimal. I'd be more worried about xrays at the dentist than the one time he went through the scanner.

Let it go. Your can opt out on the return trip. The TSA person was probably only trying to help you out and move the line along. Unfortunately no good deed goes unpunished and you see to want us all to join in your TSA anger fest.

At 11 your child is old enough to be given instruction on what you, the parent, wants his behavior to be. You need to explain to your child what he needs to do. On the next trip you need to teach him to say, "Mom said not to go through the machine. She said opt out." That's all it would have taken on the part of your kid.

Thus one was your fail not TSAs.

Hate on me if your must but this is my educated, experienced opinion.

Btw saying others weren't loved by their mothers was a really low blow and completely unnecessary. You should probably apologize for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.