Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mabuk dan gila
APC Locations: ATL AUA AUH AUS BOS CLT MDW ORD DFW DEN DTW DUB YEG FLL IAH LAS LAX MIA MSP YUL NAS JFK EWR MCO PHL PHX PDX RNO SLC SAN SFO SEA TPA YYZ YVR IAD

Eligible persons at all APC airports: U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

Eligible persons at some but not all APC airports: US permanent residents might be eligible to use APC kiosks at LAX, SFO, ORD, DTW; probably more by now.
Print Wikipost

US CBP Automated Passport Control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've gotten some X marks on my APC printouts and yet I've not been sent to even a secondary for Ag more than a small fraction of those times where my APC kiosk slip shows an X.
On the GE kiosks, an X can be as benign as a bad fingerprint read.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:16 am

Canadian traveler

Originally Posted by Majuki
Hi
I'm traveling to US I heard you need to use ACP kiosk every time when you are going to USA. My question is do all Canadian need to scan fingers print at machine. Or just USA VISA holder need to do finger print.???
Thank you
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I always get an 'X' when using the APC. I am assuming it is due to the biometric picture because I don't have glasses on my passport photo, but I do wear them when taking the picture. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by OSSYULYYZ; Oct 3, 2016 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Canadianyyc
Hi
I'm traveling to US I heard you need to use ACP kiosk every time when you are going to USA. My question is do all Canadian need to scan fingers print at machine. Or just USA VISA holder need to do finger print.???
Thank you
You shouldn't. All other foreigners have to get fingerprints taken on entry (regardless of visa or not, both at kiosks or with normal processing), but I'm pretty sure both Americans and Canadians don't.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
I always get an 'X' when using the APC. I am assuming it is due to the biometric picture because I don't have glasses on my passport photo, but I do where them when taking the picture. Can anyone confirm?
I think the general consensus is no: they're not doing "biometric" matching. (The setup just isn't good enough, the biometric gates in Europe/NZ) are much more sophisticated and have good lighting to boot.)

It could be anything from your name matching to a known blacklisted person (which would explain the consistency), to the departure airport marking you as suspicious (one-off), to a mismatch with passport names/difficulty reading the passport.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Originally Posted by televisor
It could be anything from your name matching to a known blacklisted person (which would explain the consistency), to the departure airport marking you as suspicious (one-off), to a mismatch with passport names/difficulty reading the passport.
Interesting. My name is Asian, so I don't know how it could possibly be blacklisted. I did live in the States for almost a decade, but now I no longer have status, so that may be setting off alarms...

I have only used APC at YYZ, so it is possible that the airport is marking me as suspicious is also possible (although I don't know what you mean by one-off)...

But the APC machine always has my information correct after I scan my passport. How is it possible that it has difficulty reading the passport if my information is correctly displayed?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Interesting. My name is Asian, so I don't know how it could possibly be blacklisted.
Why couldn't an Asian name possibly be blacklisted?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Why couldn't an Asian name possibly be blacklisted?
FWIW the one person I know that consistently used to get X's had a (very common) Asian name. My theory is that someone else with the same name at one point had a customs/immigration/other violation, meaning that name now always gets flagged.

It stopped once they got GE though, presumably because CBO are more confident in identity matching when using fingerprints to match to a vetted identity.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Interesting. My name is Asian, so I don't know how it could possibly be blacklisted. I did live in the States for almost a decade, but now I no longer have status, so that may be setting off alarms...

I have only used APC at YYZ, so it is possible that the airport is marking me as suspicious is also possible (although I don't know what you mean by one-off)...

But the APC machine always has my information correct after I scan my passport. How is it possible that it has difficulty reading the passport if my information is correctly displayed?
Probably fingerprints didn't read correctly. I have GE and I get the X every once in a while, every time I was waved through. The machines aren't great.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
My daughter always gets an X on GE and the one time she used APC got an X as well. Simply had an officer stamp. (The GE X is due to lack of fingerprints. Dunno about APC.) Never had a secondary though
Old Oct 5, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
GE prompts if the prints aren't read correctly.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by hiima
Probably fingerprints didn't read correctly. I have GE and I get the X every once in a while, every time I was waved through. The machines aren't great.
When I had my GE interview they were completely unable to read my fingerprints. Somehow this has never been a problem.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Canadianyyc
Hi
Thank you
Canadian and US citizens don't need their fingerprints taken.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: Miles & More
LAX Tom Bradley has become the second terminal (after Toronto's preclearance) where Border Crossing Cards can be used at APC, in addition to B1/B2 visas. Judging by the signage, it would appear first-time ESTA:s are also eligible (similar to Miami)
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:35 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Btw, do you know what it said below "ESTA"? Does it say whether you have to be returning ESTA (you have to be at most airprots, but not all), and whether you Need a previous entry specifically on your current passport (several Airports require that)?
Take a look at Crazydre's post right above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.