Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA threatens fines and imprisonment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I would have loved to ask this question!

I wonder if TSA has some generalized federal violation listed in the USC such as "interfering with the duties of screening officers", like FAA has for airline crews. The government might be able to use it in a situation like this one, if it decided to prosecute.
They do not. Such a law would be far too vague to ever pass a court challenge. A judge would probably want to know what the heck a "screening officer" is supposed to be, as such a joke title for their employees would likely predispose any sensible court against TSA.

IOn the other hand, I highly doubt the government would prosecute, ESPECIALLY because the TSA frequently claims that it has nothing to do with HOW people arrive at the checkpoint; only what happens from the TDC onward. (Hence why the contractors who direct pax to the elite/premium vs. regular lines are working on behalf of the airlines or airport authority, not TSA.) Supposedly, once you arrive at the TDC, everyone is treated the same, except PreCheck of course.
They wouldn't prosecute, not only because of the really dubious legality of such a law as stated above, but also because their scummy little SSI would suddenly be up for discovery.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
They do not. Such a law would be far too vague to ever pass a court challenge.
In fact there is which I cited earlier: 49 USC 46503 .

The wording does require an "assault" to take place, but whether that could include a verbal (only) assault I don't know. There have been rare prosecutions under this code so it would seem to pass the void for vagueness test.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:13 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Wally Bird

The wording does require an "assault" to take place, but whether that could include a verbal (only) assault I don't know. There have been rare prosecutions under this code so it would seem to pass the void for vagueness test.
"An individual in an area within a commercial service airport in the United States who, by assaulting a Federal, airport, or air carrier employee who has security duties within the airport, interferes with the performance of the duties of the employee or lessens the ability of the employee to perform those duties, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both."

1) I think you'd need a physical assault to take place, otherwise it would be a rather vague law to prosecute on. There are already laws against physical assault on anyone; this may simply up the penalties for doing so to a specific group of people.

2) Any prosecution under this law has the potential to expose SSI as it's up for discovery as to what exactly the interference was with.

3) Copiously absent is the joke designation of "officer" for government "security" employees.

Last edited by Spiff; Apr 29, 2013 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Emmadoll
Is TSA in charge of the security check-in for cruises, and if so, is there a limit to the amount of liquids you can take on board? The airport TSA people have confiscated half-full bottles of shampoo and the like, and I don't want that happening on our cruise.
On the cruises I have taken (2 years ago most recent), the security was done by the crews. They are looking mostly for weapons and beverages, mostly alcohol.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
They are looking mostly for weapons and beverages, mostly alcohol.
And in total contrast to the TSA, the alcohol part is an obvious revenue protection process.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I would have loved to ask this question!

I wonder if TSA has some generalized federal violation listed in the USC such as "interfering with the duties of screening officers", like FAA has for airline crews. The government might be able to use it in a situation like this one, if it decided to prosecute.
Or maybe it's just "disorderly conduct". I can see how OP's action would be seen as disorderly, and there is possibly a state/local law against disorderly conduct at an airport (or any public place).

This may seem ridiculous to us, but if some creative prosecutor wanted to come up with a way of charging OP with a crime, there are probably ways to do it.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Disorderly conduct conviction for this situation? In most states, that would probably be a tough sell. In an empty "line" with no shouting by the passenger and no real conflict observable on a camera? Even tougher sell.

The "void for vagueness test" would be part of a moot case and thus probably not considered except were the section of federal law used to prosecute on a vague basis a person with the resources to challenge it.

Given the DOJ so infrequently uses the above section of federal law for prosecution and has so far "successfully" used it by mostly avoiding "vague" situations, it seems they do not.

"Verbal assault" using non-threatening language that is generally tolerated or even accepted in elementary schools? I doubt that there are many USA(A)s who want to become a professional laughing stock by picking losing battles.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by cbn42
Or maybe it's just "disorderly conduct". I can see how OP's action would be seen as disorderly, and there is possibly a state/local law against disorderly conduct at an airport (or any public place).

This may seem ridiculous to us, but if some creative prosecutor wanted to come up with a way of charging OP with a crime, there are probably ways to do it.
This by far the most common reason for arrest at an airport checkpoint once a LEO gets involved. It varies by airport; some PDs are fond of such nonsense arrests even though very few result in charges and even fewer in trials and convictions. Does happen though - several examples here in the TS&S forums.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
This by far the most common reason for arrest at an airport checkpoint once a LEO gets involved. It varies by airport; some PDs are fond of such nonsense arrests even though very few result in charges and even fewer in trials and convictions. Does happen though - several examples here in the TS&S forums.
That's because many cops subscribe to the theory that "you can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride".

These days they know that they can also inflict recurring punishment as an arrest or conviction can disqualify you from Global Entry and therefore also DQ you from Pre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.