Search

Intra-Canada travel with US DL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Intra-Canada travel with US DL

N00b question...
Does CATSA allow travelers with a valid US driver's license through security for flights within Canada?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: LT AAdvantage Gold
Wondering how you get to Canada without using a passport.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough
Entered with a passport... staying here for a couple of months on a work permit.
I get better peace of mind in leaving passport securely locked in a corporate apartment than with me in another city.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
CATSA does not check ID for domestic flights, that is done by the airlines' agents during boarding. A valid US DL should be acceptable.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

Sounds like a bad idea. Personally, I have not travel within a foreign country with out a passport. I would want the flexibility to get home asap in case of an emergency.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jpmcdonough

Canada does not require U.S. citizens to provide a passport to enter Canada. A U.S. DL + U.S. birth certificate suffices. The U.S. Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is just that: a U.S. invention that so far the bulk of the Western Hemisphere thumbs its nose at, except when its citizens have to fly to the U.S.

Assuming OP is American, then his U.S. DL should be sufficient. He can tell the airline that he drove into the USA with just his DL and birth certificate, and since his DL has a photo and date of birth that is sufficient. That said, as a Canadian citizen with a US DL, I've never tempted fate on intra-Canada travel, but I would in the event my Canadian passport is "in the shop" (visa processing or renewal).
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:12 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spyvsspy
Sounds like a bad idea. Personally, I have not travel within a foreign country with out a passport. I would want the flexibility to get home asap in case of an emergency.
Canada is sort of an exception to that rule for US Citizens because of land borders and CBP preclearance airports.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by mre5765
Assuming OP is American, then his U.S. DL should be sufficient. He can tell the airline that he drove into the USA with just his DL and birth certificate ... .
Bad idea. No reason to lie. Just tell the truth, if you are even asked at all.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Bad idea. No reason to lie. Just tell the truth, if you are even asked at all.
Yeah, and then the control freak at the gate sends OP back to his apartment to fetch his passport.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
Yeah, and then the control freak at the gate sends OP back to his apartment to fetch his passport.
Not going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.