What is happening at DTW security?

Old Feb 5, 13, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by RadioGirl View Post
Well, there are two anecdotes (first and third) from TSA on page 45 that describe three undocumented aliens, two of whom had large sums of money which in one case tested positive for drugs, but it doesn't describe any charges in relation to the money.
Question: If a person is detained/arrested/whatevered for more than one of the above, is that person counted in two categories?

Regarding Israeli security: It is a fallacy to believe that the Israeli security folks are mind readers who can tell you are a terrorist by the way you blink. Israeli security is not a mish-mash of ineffective tactics that will hopefully catch a bad guy. At Tel Aviv, security is coordinated and trained. They know who you are before you get on the plane, where you have been, where you are going, etc.

They are looking for inconsistencies, not randomly grabbing people or applying a dragnet. As an American Jew, I was asked on my first trip through Israel if I spoke Hebrew. I had never been to Israel before and frankly, they may have thought that it would be more suspicious if I did speak Hebrew. I joked that I only spoke the ten words that I remembered from six years of Hebrew school and the agent laughed, gave me her phone number and sent me on my way. On the other hand, my wife had been to Israel about a dozen times and lived there for a year. They simply spoke to her in Hebrew without even addressing her in English.

At TLV, it isn't about the mind-reading. It's about the research.

Mike

Last edited by mikeef; Feb 5, 13 at 1:45 pm
Old Feb 5, 13, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
At TLV, it isn't about the mind-reading. It's about the research.
Correct me if I am wrong (as I have never been to Israel), but you also need to show up around three hours before your flight, correct?

And TLV security makes no secret of engaging in ethnic and religious profiling, correct?

And you may also be asked questions about the most intimate aspects of your life, correct?

I don't see it as a model to emulate.

In addition it's not foolproof. That attempted attack was subdued the same way such an attack here would be subdued on any flight post-9/11/01.
Old Feb 6, 13, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by saulblum View Post
Correct me if I am wrong (as I have never been to Israel), but you also need to show up around three hours before your flight, correct?

And TLV security makes no secret of engaging in ethnic and religious profiling, correct?

And you may also be asked questions about the most intimate aspects of your life, correct?

I don't see it as a model to emulate.

In addition it's not foolproof. That attempted attack was subdued the same way such an attack here would be subdued on any flight post-9/11/01.
You are right about all of those and I, in no way, want to see that model in the US.

My point was that the TSA has tried to get us to believe that Israeli security is all about judging the way people blink and that they can emulate this magical program.

Mike
Old Feb 6, 13, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cptlflyer View Post
Again, it's a pilot program... only in BOS & DTW so far, and only at certain checkpoints. If you flew in from an international origin and went through the international reconnect checkpoint, you wouldn't be asked.
I was asked this a couple of times at ORD a while back - maybe sometime early last year? can't quite recall.

TSA ID checker asked me where I was going.
Me: Home, I wish!
Him: Where are you traveling to?
Me: It's on the ticket.
Him: You need to TELL me where you're going.
Me: Why?
Him: Sir, you need to answer my question.
Me: No I don't. You can see it on the ticket. (probably sounding a little annoyed at this point)
Him: Sir, just answer the question or I can't let you pass.

At that point, a 3-striper came over to see what the hubbub was about. She took me to the side and asked me where I was going. I again reiterated that it's on the ticket, which the ID checker looked at. She asked why I didn't want to answer the question, we're just trying to engage in conversation with passengers. I said I wasn't interested in engaging in conversation, just getting to my flight (probably sounding quite agitated at this point). And that the demand to state my destination or I wouldn't be able to proceed didn't sound much like a "conversation" to me. She apologized and let me go.

It was a pain.
Old Feb 6, 13, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gobluetwo View Post
I was asked this a couple of times at ORD a while back - maybe sometime early last year? can't quite recall.

TSA ID checker asked me where I was going.
Me: Home, I wish!
Him: Where are you traveling to?
Me: It's on the ticket.
Him: You need to TELL me where you're going.
Me: Why?
Him: Sir, you need to answer my question.
Me: No I don't. You can see it on the ticket. (probably sounding a little annoyed at this point)
Him: Sir, just answer the question or I can't let you pass.

At that point, a 3-striper came over to see what the hubbub was about. She took me to the side and asked me where I was going. I again reiterated that it's on the ticket, which the ID checker looked at. She asked why I didn't want to answer the question, we're just trying to engage in conversation with passengers. I said I wasn't interested in engaging in conversation, just getting to my flight (probably sounding quite agitated at this point). And that the demand to state my destination or I wouldn't be able to proceed didn't sound much like a "conversation" to me. She apologized and let me go.

It was a pain.
Bolding mine: I was told the very same thing at FLL this past Sunday under the "guise" of a similar conversation where I responded, "I don't talk to BDO's" and after hesitation and a look of befuddlement by the TSO, I was told "have a nice trip" and sent on my way
Old Feb 7, 13, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Bolding mine: I was told the very same thing at FLL this past Sunday under the "guise" of a similar conversation where I responded, "I don't talk to BDO's" and after hesitation and a look of befuddlement by the TSO, I was told "have a nice trip" and sent on my way
You folks are far gutsier than I am.

I avert my eyes, "sir" and "ma'am" all the way, tiny voice, avoid saying anything that might be remotely construed as a 'challenge'.

Kind of the approach (short of lying down on the ground and playing dead or turning tail and running) that I would use with a rabid dog.

I still get hands between the legs and down my pants every single time I fly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: